Daptiv Reviews

1. A good firm with lots of churn

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Daptiv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Engineering team takes their product and job seriously, demonstrating excellent craftsmanship and are adopting modern best practices, which is a must for a SaaS company.

Cons

Salaries could not compete with larger software firms in the Seattle area and so good engineering talent would often churn a lot.

Company has a rocky past with poor guidance from upper management and struggles to develop a healthy culture that attracts talent.

Advice to Management

Find talented managers and pay extra to keep them around, they will in-turn attract engineering talent which will help the product.

2. Terrible senior management

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Daptiv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free coffee. Free transportation pass.

Cons

Senior "leadership" was a bunch of empty shirts when I was there. VPs sleeping with their underlings, a clueless CEO. Fired people with no cause, did not develop young employees. This was a few years ago, looks like not much has changed.

Advice to Management

Hire people with integrity.

3. Loved the product , didn't like the management team at the end. They laid people off with no plan.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Daptiv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and easy product except for the BI back end.

Cons

Very little chance for new salespeople to make it. They hire the salespeople to get a territory started and then lay them off. Not enough product vision.

Advice to Management

Respect knowledge and passion

5. Stay away from this company, the management will hold you back

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Daptiv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros of working at Daptiv are the engineers and the environment they create. The engineers are very helpful, teach you a lot of great topics, and just overall nice, smart people.

Cons

The top 4 reasons are below.

1. Insurance. They are not good. They do the job, but you have to use a supplemental insurance on top of the primary, which no one has ever heard of, which makes it painful to get setup with all the companies you need to do so.
    2. Management. Your management seems nice and caring but they are just making sure you are doing what you’re supposed to in the way they see fit and they will lie or misguide you with what they say to ensure that that happens. Additionally, when you find yourself ready to move on, they will seem like they want you and ask you to stay, but they will actually walk you out the back door the a couple days later without allowing you to grab your things or say goodbye to anyone. Also, the management has 1-on-1s often my manager wasn't there on my scheduled time, nor did he reschedule them even if I requested to do so. Our meetings were almost always business only, we never did just have a good conversation with each other when we just didn't have anything business related to talk about.
    3. HR. You have to talk with their HR, who is from the company that owns them, in California. I have never had success with this person ever. I tried to get them to discuss the possibility of partial support for those who drove and parked for work. She said she would look into it. But never got back to me, and she ignored all of my further responses to get updates. She also never updated my address when I moved, so she just in general seems unorganized, overworked, and/or under qualified for her job. If something they say doesn't seem right, you should check with people outside the company that understand those things just to ensure what they say is correct.
    4. Pay. I was quite a bit underpaid and I am sure many other people are too, and it wasn't until people started leaving did people start getting raises. I didn't know how much I was underpaid until other companies started making me offers. Bonuses are a joke, they are based on many things you have no control over, and you are based on everyone's performance from engineering and only the top engineers would ever get a full rating and funny enough, they already have the possibility to get higher bonuses because they get paid more anyways. I was glad I got bonuses but I never felt like anything I could do, except be there forever, would ever get them to raise my bonus. Additionally if you asked them, how do I get to the next level pay or SDEII, etc, they would give you some roundabout examples but ultimately say we don't have a standard for that. It just happens. (Ironically, it started happening when people were leaving)

Advice to Management

Management remember who makes the business... The employees. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you and your customers. Be open and honest to your employees and provide clear and achievable goals that are equally achievable no matter if you are just starting as an new software engineer or you have been an engineer for 10+ years.

6. A very nice working environment, good management team, smart and talented people around.

Former Employee - Software Engineer III
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III

I worked at Daptiv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Daptiv is a truly agile management company. The management team focuses on result. Pay attentions to contributor's effort. They also encourage learning new skills. One full day after each month release is dedicated for each tech employee to do their own development on any topic, and demo to the reset of the team is really a big plug.

Cons

The minus side is the issuance. It is pretty much a nightmare. Two insurances (Premier Blue Cross and Benmax) never works. You have to track down every health expense yourself is really a pain in an ass.

Advice to Management

Really is the insurance. This problem fixed, everybody will be so happy

7. I enjoy working at daptiv.

I have been working at Daptiv

Pros

The people.
    The immediate impact you'll have on the product.
    Mature process.
    Hack days.
    The freedom to innovate.
    Quality and doing things right is considered important by management.

Cons

Benefits continue to decline, especially health insurance.
    401k plan is not matched by daptiv.
    Management does not help drive personal growth.

Advice to Management

Loosen the purse strings on capital expenditures. They're so tight that the average employee is frustrated. The hidden cost of lost engineering time often outweighs the cost of additional hardware, but the CEO doesn't see it this way.

8. Parallax is failing and good staff are leaving, trying to leave, or already moved on.

I have been working at Daptiv

Pros

The only reason for someone to work at Daptiv is if an individual has been terminally unemployed for years. It's now known among recruiters as "the employer of last resort" in Seattle tech companies.

Cons

Where to start. Parallax management is just as bad or worse than the previous regimes of five CEO's and teams over the last four years. The management tells everyone from engineering to sales they are important and want them to stay, yet they've done everything possible to force folks out. This is how they reflect growing "profits." It's a joke and so is the company. I'm embarrassed to have the company on my resume.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management. They're arrogant Orange County, CA jerks who smile to your face and then do their best to make the work environment so intolerable no one wants to stay. Even in the darkest days, things weren't this bad.

9. Daptiv becoming a great place to work again

I have been working at Daptiv

Pros

In the last year, Daptiv has had a complete management change over. The new management is great! There is actually respect and collaboration between departments. Morale has improved and it's becoming a fun place to work again. In addition, Daptiv was recently was acquired by Parallax, which has been positive so far. The company is profitable, there seems to be much more focus, and the new owners are very interested in the business.

Additional pros:

* Engineering is revitalized and innovative again.
    * A strong emphasis on quality. Engineering management wants you to be proud of what you put into production and it shows.
    * Great work/life balance. It's all about the commitment to backlog, not the hours. We work hard, but management understands that we have families and responsibilities outside of work.
    * Good mentoring. There are some strong developers here and a strong belief in pair programming.
    * Location - In the heart of downtown Seattle. I have many commuting options.

Cons

More of an uncertainty than a con - The new leadership (Parallax) has been good so far, but I fear based on Daptiv's history, that we will become rudderless once again if we don't stay focused.

Other cons:
    * A few departments within Daptiv are not embracing the new leadership
    * Our HR system is horrible, though there's rumor that it will be replaced soon
    * Benefits are so-so. I guess it's good for a small company, but I'm used to big company benefits.

Advice to Management

The new leadership from Parallax needs to communicate the direction we are heading a bit more in a concise way. Daptiv is becoming a great place again and a strong focus will solidify the company.

They're lying about being a "FUN" place.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Daptiv

Pros

You're part of the growing SaaS sector.
    Good sales training.
    Dedicated people. Those who survived anyway.
    Employees not in sales have a more favorable view.

Cons

Brutal sales environment.
    Tough product to master and to sell.
    Long sales cycle but little patience from management.
    They chewed through 42 sales reps over 2 years before the big layoff in 08.
    IT watches where you look online.
    All the good execs are gone. No vision remaining.

Advice to Management

Simplify the product.
    Monthly pricing won't hurt in the long run.
    Stop looking for reasons to fire sales people.

They don't have a clue!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Daptiv

Pros

The employees are very loyal and hard working. Very good base product. Customers are so quickly immersed in the solution, they have a hard time unplugging even when they encounter issues.

Cons

No communications from executives and a very top-heavy company. Limited development though they tell customers they are working on improvements. The solution was developed by many teams and is not a cohesive solution.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and communicate a realistic, true plan. This is not about Jeff Pancottine. He is long gone and they have already gone through the next group of leaders. Nothing is cohesive at Daptiv: Leadership and product direction.