Darden

www.darden.com

Darden Reviews in Orlando, FL

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Darden Chairman and CEO Clarence Otis Jr.

Clarence Otis Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and the ability to walk with cash in hand are the best perks of this job(in 49 reviews)

• flexible hours and availability to trade shifts with other servers(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours that are not equivalent to the compensation package(in 25 reviews)

• Work/Life balance can suffer for those who are truly committed to advancing their career with Darden(in 11 reviews)

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture,

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe Restaurant Support Center in Orlando is amazing. The amenities include a gym, amazing cafe that serves gourmet meals, Starbucks and dry cleaning. There are free sodas and snacks (including fruit) every day. You get 35% off at all Darden restaurants, with 25% for your friends and family members. The culture is great - people are very friendly. The dress code is now casual every day.

ConsBecause it is a large organization, you have to deal with the politics. Everything tends to be done "by the book" and there's always red tape. Also, the Finance organization is very large and there's a lot of talent, so it is hard to advance quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on transparency with important issues

Potential for greatness if leaders can trust more, change faster and land on a strategy.

Director (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat brands, a culture of "being of service," generally warm and friendly people who want to do what's best for the guest, a lovely RSC, great training programs, size, breadth and resources of a big company.

ConsHierarchial, slow decision making, distant leaders, lack of a winning strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe visible. Try inspiring others. Recognize and reward the little stuff more. Have more fun. Communicate a strategy (or develop it, if there isn't one).

Started with so many high expectations & promises

Paralegal (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsCorp offices have a "google" corp office feel, some fun activities throughout the year, gym on location and organic cafe on location.

ConsSmall chance of moving up within the company, tumultuous working conditions, overworked, always fearful of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMean what you say when you offer "advancement" positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, I learned a lot at many levels. This is a company to start gaining experience when you are a junior.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat company, great benefits, smart people to work with, good balance life-work.

ConsNot a lot of opportunities for career advancement, that happens for only 10% of the employees, be ready to stay in the same position for the time you choose to spend in this company. Many super smart people I know have left the company because of this. There are a lot of clicks among few people and those ones are the ones promoted and given opportunities, the rest nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what employees have to say.

Excellent training and career growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsDarden restaurants offer some of the best operational tools and support system allowing for time running great shifts and being engaged with guests and employees.

ConsThe company is so large and at times may lose touch with their guests, employees and community members. New business department doesn't create new concepts that are relevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people with a balance of cutting costs

Accounting Processor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsBuilding long term relationships with a few employees.

ConsFirst position was eliminated within a year and a half and the second one was eliminated within 5 months. Worked was doubled while bonuses and employees were downsized. I found that a few upper management were biased on race and gender in my area. As well as overlooking harrassment by fellow employees due to their friendship with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementA look deep look into why your employees are leaving after they have been with the company for more than five years. I worked in a department where I saw that temporary employees were being hired over the tenure employees that endured being judged on age, race, gender, and who they are related to versus the work that they produced and the skills that they provided.

Server - Bahama Breeze - Waterford Lakes

Server (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe people that I worked with. Good food, overall clean restaurant as I have worked in a few.

ConsCheap customers, very low ticket items - it is the only BB offering a Happy Hour where almost all apps are half off menu price. Most guests come to take advantage of this only. VERY HARD TO EARN 20% TIPS HERE. I'm not the best server on the planet but certainly not the worst! I've worked at many restaurants and bars and have never had to struggle the way I did here to earn 10-15%. Also, personal growth tied to what section you are given (closing vs. non-closing) by managers. favoritism is rampart. GM here is joke! Lets girls get away with murder…if your a good looking guy good luck!!

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair to all of your employees when making a floor plan..not just a select few.

Great Company, Good culture

Analyst (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe operations teams are valued very highly at Darden. There is very high engagement across all salary levels, and the company takes its commitment to diversity seriously (not just a talking point).

ConsThe company has become much more polished as time has passed, but has also become quite "corporate" in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your vision and your strategy with your employees more often.

Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsStrong room to grow and good pay

ConsPolitical management and tight deadlines

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees more

Quality Manager

Quality Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat brand of restaurants that make you proud to work for. Lots of fun, smart people to work with. Compensation and benefits were great. My position provide a lot of autonomy and variety.

ConsCorporate culture a bit to political and focused on a few people rather than everyone like it was in the past. Long hours with no acknowledgement or compensation. Too many people started "leaving" or being layer off unexpectedly.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus on your employees and ensure you have sufficient resources to run the business properly.

Worked for Darden? Contribute to the Community!