Darden Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Gene Lee

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and the ability to walk with cash in hand are the best perks of this job (in 52 reviews)

• flexible hours, ability to make quick money (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours that are not equivalent to the compensation package (in 29 reviews)

• Work life balance could improve (in 13 reviews)

1. Manager

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Darden (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture Great training program Usually easy to have district manager support

Cons

Long hours Not too much room to grow

2. Server

Former Employee - Server in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Server in Wichita, KS

I worked at Darden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice management, discount food, high pace. Management would sit down and talk with you if there was something bothering you and do what they could to help. Company is very employee centric.

Cons

Very fast pace or a crawl there is no in between. Management will help at work as much as possible but is not very lenient when it comes to work and school.

Advice to Management

Work more with students. Maybe try not to be "friends" with your employees. You are their boss for a reason.

3. Darden employment

Former Employee - Food Prep in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Food Prep in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Darden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Darden is a big corporation and with an employee discount you can be rewarded by eating at different restaurants and getting good food.

Cons

Red Lobster is no longer part of Darden. :(

Waitress

Former Employee - Waitress in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Waitress in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Darden part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having money every night in your pocket. Generally can state when you want to work which shifts. Flexible hours. Good training before starting work.

Cons

Hated the uniforms. Management very gossipy and showed alot of favoritism to certain employees. Not guaranteed pay because of tips.

Advice to Management

Limit the favoritism, update uniforms, and treat employees with respect by not gossiping. Correct people without being rude or belittling.

6. Serving

Current Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Current Employee - Server in Lawrenceville, NJ

I have been working at Darden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Serving at Olive Garden is very fun. I enjoy my time here and I'm able to make quick cash.

Cons

I have not ran into any problems with Olive Garden.

7. The Best Restaurant Company to work for!!!

Former Employee - Union Carpenter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Union Carpenter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Darden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility amongst the management, senior management and hourly employees. -Amazing schedules, quality of life in an industry that you normally do not. -Amazing salary compensation and increases are above any other company. -Ability to grow! -Completely diverse and current with any and all policies. -They take care of their own employees and their employees family's with Darden Dimes like no other company. -They're hands down the cleanest restaurant in the country if not the world! They set the standard for Quality Assurance and a failing score when I was there was a 94%! If that does not tell you how clean they are nothing will. But they like no other restaurant take sanitation to a whole new level. -401K match is above any other restaurants and pretty much any other industry. -Ability to learn and travel! They train nonstop, and study any and all information presented that is relative to the industry. Top notch training facilities when other restaurants offer 8-10 week training Darden is at 13 weeks with a week in Orlando FL. They've sent me all over the world, to Italy, FL , the west coast and east coast for training and reward their management teams for being the top of the area, division and company. There's so many pros to Darden and would advise anyone entering the industry to work for them. They're personal from your area director to the president of the company and literally build a rapport with you if you're willing to do so yourself.

Cons

Honestly there's not 1! My only con would be that I left! I did so for my family and not a day goes by that I've ever do not regret leaving.

Advice to Management

Take what you can out of their training. It is world class. Never accept an offer from another competing company because you're simply leaving the best. Other companies throw money at Darden managers because they know they're the best. Only thing is the other companies will not adapt as they state they will. Stay with Darden for as long as you can. They're simply the best.

8. Hospitaliano!

Current Employee - Server in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Server in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Darden part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great and flexible company to work for, always easy to give away or gain hours. This tipped position saved me from needing to work extensive hours while attending University. Very fun and rewarding. Tasty food! Benefits on day one regardless of weekly hours.

Cons

Can be stressful during peak hours, especially if there is no communication with hosts/hostesses. Sometimes not staffed appropriately; not enough people scheduled. Days could be long or short in hours.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Make sure servers are being seating accordingly; DO NOT LET HOSTS RELY ON THE COMPUTER SYSTEM.

9. Server

I worked at Darden part-time

Pros

Great work environment. Built on strong principles and values. Large company so it's easy to transfer to another location.

Cons

Both places I worked had a poor general a manager. The assistant managers were great but the general was never very good. Was too focused on unimportant things instead of creating a restaurant with a positive and upbeat vibe

Advice to Management

Work on employee moral and be more selective of hiring. Manager tended to hire people who were just pretty but lacked skills. In the end they brought the whole restaurant down with them.

10. Server

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Darden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong development and growth opportunities with one of the titans in the food beverage industry. The Capital Grill, one of the seven concepts which defines Darden.

Cons

None to mention, been happily employed for the past five years.

Advice to Management

When u have passion for what you do... Aptitude and training only contribute to managing daily operations.

11. Server and bartwnder

Current Employee - Bartender in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Bartender in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Darden part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The coworkers are mostly nice

Cons

The area is very redneck and undereducated about how to dine out and how to tip.

Advice to Management

do wine and etiquette training for staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed