Darden Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
881 reviews filtered by
3.5
Darden Chairman and CEO Clarence Otis Jr.
Clarence Otis Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and the ability to walk with cash in hand are the best perks of this job (in 52 reviews)

• flexible hours and availability to trade shifts with other servers (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours that are not equivalent to the compensation package (in 29 reviews)

• Current environment is hard on work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

1. Minimum wage job - treated as less than a minimum wage employee.

Former Employee - Hostess - Seasons 52 in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Hostess - Seasons 52 in Orlando, FL

I worked at Darden part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Scheduling flexibility and opportunity to make more money during the busy season.

Cons

In my opinion I noticed that the management picked favorites and did not take my long term goals into consideration.

I felt as though my opinions never mattered or were simply ignored.

I always received above average reviews from secret shoppers, but management never once acknowledged me for my good performance.

I constantly showed interest in advancing as well as learning about other areas in the restaurant (group sales), but didn't receive any feedback.

Management was well aware that I had full availability and I verbally expressed to them multiple times that I needed more than 10 hours a week, but they continued to schedule me the same, or even less than what I had asked for. When I asked them if this was because they weren't satisfied with my job performance they simply responded with "business is slow," however I noticed that other employees who were hired way after me were getting scheduled more often than me (favoritism).

There are little to no opportunities for advancement/growth unless you want to become a career server or bartender.
    For example; there is a server who currently works at Seasons 52 and started out as a hostess, but had the position for 4 years before even being asked to be promoted to a serving position. In my opinion that is just unacceptable in the hospitality industry, considering it is a fast-paced growing industry with high turnover rates.

Overall negative atmosphere, all servers/bartenders/hostesses complained about their job.

Acknowledge employees for their efforts and good performance on the job. Avoid favoritism. Also consider practicing positive reinforcement.

2. Worked me to death as a manager with no breaks allowed in 12 hour shifts.

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Darden

Pros

The Manager Meals were the best.

Cons

Almost everything else was a horrible experience.

Well, since you sold the company, I'd say get rid of managers that think you have to Manage by Fear. I was told by my manager that your employees must "Fear" you when you walk in the door.

3. The managers do not care about the employees.

Former Employee - Food Server in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Food Server in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Darden full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly guest's. The food is good. There is alot of teamwork. the server look out for one another. You gain alot of wine knowledge.

Cons

Too many servers. The managers don't listen. No breaks. The managers play favorites. The trainers could care less what you learn or when you.learn it.

Listen to your employee's.

5. Horrible staff moral

Former Employee - Server in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Server in Livonia, MI

I worked at Darden part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great community with staff members and excellent perks for low income job.

Cons

Management does not train their employees properly but still expects that the staff does things according to corporate expectations. They also do not pay servers properly for time not serving. An example of this is on closing shifts, servers are expected to stay approximately 45 minutes to an hour after the restaurant closed to do side work but still pays them the minimum $2.45 for that hour which results in thousands of dollars per server working below minimum wage without the possibility of tips!

Make sure training is complete and set up a scheduling system where servers are paid at least minimum wage during the hours they are expected to work without the possibility of tips!

6. Not that great!

Former Employee - Line Cook in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Darden full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great place to learn how to workin a fast paced resturant.

Cons

Pay is low with no for advancment. Very overworked and under appreciated.

Value your employees!

7. Degrading

Former Employee - Food Server in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Food Server in Newark, DE

I worked at Darden full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and easy to trade shifts

Cons

Clientele will leave you with no dignity

Stop giving away free food

8. Horrible

Former Employee - Olive Garden Host in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Olive Garden Host in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Darden part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great days off
    Love people you work with

Cons

Horrible managment
    Horrible promotions
    No room for making tips
    Horrible clientele

Train managers better

9. Bahama Breeze

Current Employee - Hostess in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Hostess in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Darden part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a very relaxed job because nobody cares about how hard you work or how lazy you are.

Cons

This could go on forever. Poor management is what I'm going to focus on. At this location, guest satisfaction is 65% and it all reflects on the General Manager. Him and the Executive Chef are horrible people who bully their employees. The rest of the managers have no say/power. Management do not uphold the core values that you must memorize before getting the job. They do not know how to be caring, and they do not have respect for their employees or customers. They show favoritism to people who brown nose, and do not know what is good for business.

Please do not give a person less hours because of personal reasons. Be fair and be honest. Stop showing favoritism and stop treating your employees very poorly and maybe.. just maybe.. guest satisfaction will increase. You have a very high turnover rate on employees and it's very easy to see it when one starts working here.

10. Horridness

I have been working at Darden

Pros

Non, what so ever, Do NOT WORK HERE

Cons

The company needs to learn how to pay there employees better.

11. Poor management

I worked at Darden

Pros

Great co-workers and the ability to build a relationship with the guests on a daily basis.

Cons

Terrible lack of communication between managers. One manager shows favoritism to an employee who lacks performance with her job and no matter how many times she's been written up from the mess up's she's made, she's still employed, gets what she wants, and always gets away with everything.

Stop being rude and bullying the staff that actually do their job correctly and the way you expect them to and stop taking up for the girl who does what she wants, when she wants. Your favoritism shows and it's noticed by everyone. As strict as Darden is with company policy, they sure do have one manager that's constantly breaking the rules and hides it by throwing other managers under the bus.

Darden Photos