Darien Lake

Add Photos

Joel Manby

It's an amazing job!

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Darien Center, NY

ProsIt's really fun and you can make a lot of friends on the job
    You get to save lives
    The pay is awesome!
    There is lifeguard parties!
    Generally a great time!

ConsLong hours
    Annoying guests
    Sometimes the management is low
    Sometimes we are understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more head guards!
    Increase pocket praise!

Insulting pay scale

Park Employee (Former Employee) Darien, NY

ProsFree access to the park, flexible shifts, mostly friendly co workers, wide variety of jobs available, easy job to get

ConsThe reason I give this one star is that this company should be ashamed of their low wages. They are asking an awful lot from their employees for $8/hour (minimum wage). This is a large, high profit business and the employees are paid insulting wages. This job is only good if you're killing time while looking for another job or a teenager looking to earn summer money. I can only assume that with this pay comes very little concern from the staff about doing their jobs correctly. Which is scary for a place with rides and a water park.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to bring pay up higher. I understand it's seasonal, but you're company is sending a very negative message to the employees about their value. Without these people you're treating as minions, the park would fold.

Leadership Changes Hands Too Often

ProsWhile owned by certain companies, employees were provided with free tickets to share with friends and family, which was a huge benefit given how rapidly the prices have gone up in the last 10 years. Under another company, an employee perks program allowed employees to exchange points for goods/services/tickets.

ConsThe park has been owned by at least five different companies in the last 15 years, causing policies, prices and practices to change rapidly. It felt impossible to keep up with and the "benefits" would vary wildly from year to year for seasonals. While managed by company 1, you would get nothing but a paycheck each week and be booted out after 39 hours to avoid the dreaded overtime pay. With company 2, you might get free tickets with your check and not get yelled at for having a full-time week.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was ok, coulda been better

Games Attendant (Current Employee) Darien, NY

ProsGet to work outdoors, free pass to the park all summer and free passes for friends, summer job for hs/college students, make friends for the summer

ConsPretty out of the way from civilization so more gas and min wage which can get eaten up by gas, a lot of the supervisors are teens with a big ego/attitude or just plain mean or just bad, the benefits seem to get cut down every year/ couple years, the min wage pay doesn't match up with the job being done especially the customer service aspect since people seem to think of us as punching bags, sunburn if youre working games is a huge possibility, the park is always in risk of being sold off to someone new who will bring a new culture with them

Advice to Senior ManagementUmbrellas for all games (even the big basketball court), use the microphones better (no one likes being yelled at and no one is going to change their mind about a game just because you said hi to them and its unrealistic to expect someone to be talking all day on the mike!!!! and let people sign up for the mike, some people actually enjoy it and won't be miserable), pay raise for returning employees, bring back the ticket a week!!

Fun summer job working in the park

Concert Parking and Ride Attendant (Current Employee) Darien, NY

ProsI enjoy working out doors andd making sure all our guests have a great time.

ConsSeason is too short and weather can be a factor.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore job rotation opportunities could give an employee a better understanding of the operation of the park.

It is what it is...

Attraction Team Lead (Former Employee) Darien Center, NY

ProsThis is a great place for teenagers and college students to make a little money during their summer breaks. The job is fairly easy and it can be very nice to work outdoors. You get plenty of hours.

ConsAs a front line employee you are treated like cattle. Theirs isnt a lot of mutual respect at this job. If you are interested then I would suggest attractions or operations departments. Everything else is garbage. You will not make a lot of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done an excellent job reformatting the park in the last few years. The next step to make this place great will be to adjust department management. Specifically, Allyson Wheeler in the attractions department. She is a terrible boss and loves complaining daily about her job to the front line while instantly chastising anybody else for doing the same.

Very good company

Vacations Supervisor (Current Employee) Darien Center, NY

ProsVery flexible scheduling, Easy going environment

ConsSupervisors tend not to act like supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementHave supervisors that know how to supervisor. Have set rules and enforce them

Excellent

Ride Attendant/Operator (Former Employee) Corfu, NY

ProsPay, hours, co-workers, atmosphere, fun environment

Conssome managers thought they were better, rude customers

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees, and there hard work

Normal highschool/college job

RV Cleaner (Former Employee) Darien, NY

ProsSocial aspects, scheduling, good management

ConsLow pay with low pay raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to give bigger pay raises to returning employees.

Not Bad.

Area Supervisor (Former Employee) Darien Center, NY

ProsPlenty of hours, a feeling of accomplishment. You wont lack for work at this employer, and people do seem to genuinely appreciate your help.

ConsLow pay and non-stop action. On some days it feels as if it is never will end, which isnt helped by the heat.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise pay.

Worked for Darien Lake? Contribute to the Community!