Darling International

Randall C. Stuewe

They Were Okay Before The Merger With Griffin

Former Employee - Transportation in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Transportation in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Darling International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Darling's plan was better before the merger, but the compensation is still the best in the business for drivers.

Cons

Fear is the go-to management tool. Women and minorities can forget advancement. Top-heavy and fantastically inept. Customers are unhappy. Workers are unhappy. Management is headless and heartless.

Stop abusing the entry level. No one sticks around for longer than a few years, even in a down economy. The result is your first line of customer contact is always brand-new people.

absolutely horrible, nothing told to you, horrible work conditions and expectations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Darling International

Pros

no reason to work with them.

Cons

long hours, huge expectations, expect you to be a slave to you work, no personal life, horrible management, poor ethics and integrity of leadership and management.

look at some other professional companies, and follow

Poster child for IT 'Worst Practices'

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Darling International

Pros

Great environment. Lunch is provided with healthy options. Cubes are spacious and private enough. People are fairly friendly. Irving location is convenient.

Cons

CTO is all about buzzwords but does not know the technology well enough to apply it correctly. Database is a disaster! They do not have anyone on site who has DBA training. The database was developed by non-professionals. When poor coding standards were pointed out (with documentation), management responded negatively and personally.

You're growing fast but your foundation is sand. If you do not hire professionals and LISTEN to them and ACT on their concerns, your system will fail.

Bottom line before employees' well being

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cold Spring, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cold Spring, KY

I worked at Darling International part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the former Griffin Industries building as a customer service representative. Everything was great at first. Catered lunch, flexible hours, thorough training, good coworkers. Griffin was a place I was proud to work at. Which is why it pains me to write in the con section.

Cons

At first the work was compensated fairly, then they started adding more responsibilities, taking advantage us. Once Griffin was bought out by this company, employees were not treated the same. Griffin was focused on customer service and quality. Employees were taken care of well. Once we hit the new year, our Irving boss who oversaw my department was flown out from Texas to Kentucky just to lay off my whole department with absolutely no notice (they made the decision 2 weeks prior). We were instructed to return our badges, not to touch our computers, and to leave. My opinion of this company went from very high to extremely low. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone else who works there.

Darling's color isn't just green due to their eco friendly nature. It's also a clear representation of their greedy values.

Incompetent GM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Darling International full-time

Pros

Work with good people. Compensation is Decent. Great benefits.

Cons

Leadership (GM) is horrible!! Complete lack of direction. Treats people like their beneath him.
    Middle managers and the labor....are what keep that facility, running.
    GM needs to remember the golden rule!!

Teach your GM's HEPA Laws, mentoring, HR & last, but not least---PEOPLE SKILLS!!!

Underappreciated company to work for if you are on the front lines

Former Employee - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Darling International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The business is one that will always be needed but Darling may not always be there if the numbers aren't high enough. The pay is just underpayed for the work but one can learn how to do the work and get a better job elseware.

Cons

The company is making millions of dollars, check on the stock market, yet it cheaps its non-management workers and is continueing to takeaway many benefits that have kept the good employees working there for less pay that could be made elseware. There is no recognition for the work done, everything is about the numbers. Management is continueing to change and may even change its name as it is getting to big.

Recoginize all your employees as people as it did when Darling was a lot smaller, friendlier company. This conglomerite that you have built is terible for its employees as the stockholders and higher management have gotten gready. The customers it serves are recognizing this and many are going elseware for their services. Happy employees will get and keep satisfied customers.

current employee

Current Employee - Supervisor in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Darling International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

stable job if you don't screw up

Cons

Management does not like to promote from within. Some GMs have no management experience or even a college education which does not bode well for managing facilities. Inept GM = poor production and profit....DUH!

Hire experienced managers and promote from within. Allow hourly employees to share in profits somehow other than the pitiful 3% yearly raise.

Poor Management and Communication for a Public Company

I worked at Darling International

Pros

The company has been in existence for a long time, and is in an industry that will continue to be necessary. Many of the headquarters staff are good to work with. The company is successful at what it does.

Cons

Managers are rewarding employees who do minimal or marginal work. Communication is overkill for some things and nonexistent for others. The HR polices are not being handled consistently among employees - much favoritism. Benefits are poor compared to other large companies.

Train the managers on basic management techniques, such as coaching, communication, delegation, discipline, improving morale, etc. Improve benefits to match other public companies.

Darling Inc

Former Employee - Programmer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer in Irving, TX

I worked at Darling International

Pros

*Darling is a company that is growing very fast and they are slowly building their IT Department. They provide free lunch and drinks.

Cons

*You get paid 1 time a month
    *Not sure the IT Department, specifically the Software Development department has direction
    *No cubes, so everything is open and therefore little privacy

None

Too many chiefs, and too many OLD chiefs.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Darling International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Independence with your job roll, but needed disipline for weekly results.

Cons

Lack of leadership and no communication from Ops.

More support and training is needed across the board and mainly in the office handling exsisting customer concerns and requests.