Darling International Reviews

2.4
Darling International Chairman and CEO Randall C. Stuewe
Randall C. Stuewe

1. plant maintenance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Darling International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recycle company, bad smell

Cons

old guys had been behaving very meanly to new guy

Advice to Management

no management,

2. Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, MO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, MO

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company.

Cons

You've been Warned! Everything negative written to date here is all true. Lots of arrogance. Very inexperienced uneducated upper management. Quick to point a finger without taking ownership for their own short comings. Not a clue on how to design a compensation structure or manage for success.

Advice to Management

Clean house Randell. Your management team is failing you! There is a reason the company is not growing like you should. I assure you. Your profits and growth to date is all smoke and mirrors.

3. Worse back stabbing company to work for! Look else where!!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Darling International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only pro is that you are on the road.

Cons

Darling in probably the worst company I worked for! They treat their account managers terrible, throw you under the bus and get ride of you when ever they want. Even if you do a great job it doesn't matter. If upper management has a grudge with you, watch out! They lie and make things up just to throw you under the bus. I would never recommend this company and their unprofessionalism. They don't care about there people or customers just the bottom line. Their grease equipment my is sub par at best and they are not competitive in the market. Don't waste your time, look else where. You'll be doing yourself a big favor! Worst company to work for period!

Advice to Management

They suck! Period! Stop lying and throwing people under the bus.

5. Can't wait to leave! I have been working here only because it is a job that only a dimwit could lose.

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are happy doing the same job for the rest of your career, this is the place for you!

Cons

No advancement, no bonuses, yearly pay raise lower than the inflation rate, management sucks, long hours, no gratitude for hard work performed- the list goes on and on.

Advice to Management

Stick to hiring uneducated, unmotivated employees and your job and yearly bonuses will be safe and secure!

6. Horrible

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable job- if you're a female and don't want to advance. You'll stay right where you are. Constantly changing programs

Cons

no room for growth ESPECIALLY for females. The glass ceiling for females is office manager. That is just an hourly position. The company will screw anybody and everybody if it will give upper mgmt bigger bonuses.

Advice to Management

Stop being male chauvinistic jerks. Stop lying to get results.

WORST UPPER MANAGEMENT EVER - Thank goodness I found out before investing too much time!

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Specialist in Cold Spring, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Relationship Specialist in Cold Spring, KY

Pros

Very talented lower echelon people working really hard to drive innovative initiatives to improve the company. Friendly, but driven so hard settling in, getting to know them and connecting is impossible.

Cons

Family business that was all about it's people and customers was sold and now operated and managed by people that care ONLY about how much upper management can make. Benefits and pay are substandard. Management makes decisions on the fly without much thought. Example: Thousands of dollars invested to create a department and hire 10 employees. After 9 months the department manager told they are doing a fantastic job. In mid Dec. 2014 he is told they would all get a raise after the first of the year and a meeting was scheduled to discuss the raises and goals for the team. Two weeks later on Jan 5th 2015 upper management calls an "impromptu meeting" and tells all of them they are without a job effective immediately, the department is being eliminated, there will be no severance, benefits will cease that day.

Advice to Management

Consider the hard work and talent that enables them to be where they are, making the salary they do. Remember these are human beings that invest time and energy and at the very least deserve respect. It is possible to run a successful company and maintain integrity and compassion but only if the right people are in charge. Lastly, consider adopting a RECYCLING program. I was shocked to see they do not recycle given the fact it is basically what their business is all about. Recycling for the sake of making money is just as important as recycling to save the planet.

8. Good Experience

Pros

Great people, great work place

Cons

Low Pay and working long hours

Advice to Management

need to quit micro managing

9. Industry leader, competitive market

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home As long as you handle your business not micromanaged Attainable goals Decent compensation Decent benefits Good hours as customers aren't in till 10AM

Cons

Acquisition has led to discourse (people resistant to change) Tightening expenses Too worried abt stockholders instead of employees Limited room for advancement

Advice to Management

Listen to reps when developing yearly incentive package. Reward top performers accordingly. Increase merit raises

Bottom line before employees' well being

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cold Spring, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cold Spring, KY

I worked at Darling International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the former Griffin Industries building as a customer service representative. Everything was great at first. Catered lunch, flexible hours, thorough training, good coworkers. Griffin was a place I was proud to work at. Which is why it pains me to write in the con section.

Cons

At first the work was compensated fairly, then they started adding more responsibilities, taking advantage us. Once Griffin was bought out by this company, employees were not treated the same. Griffin was focused on customer service and quality. Employees were taken care of well. Once we hit the new year, our Irving boss who oversaw my department was flown out from Texas to Kentucky just to lay off my whole department with absolutely no notice (they made the decision 2 weeks prior). We were instructed to return our badges, not to touch our computers, and to leave. My opinion of this company went from very high to extremely low. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone else who works there.

Advice to Management

Darling's color isn't just green due to their eco friendly nature. It's also a clear representation of their greedy values.

11. Great waste management company!

Former Employee - Manager in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at Darling International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management team ... lots of innovation ... well managed!

Cons

Just sold by Maple Leaf Foods ... this might actually be a very positive thing as the Maple Leaf company rules were inhibit.ing the development of the company

Advice to Management

Keep at it ...

RSS Feed </> Embed