Darque Tan Reviews

3.1
Robbie Segler

1. Fun Atmosphere

I have been working at Darque Tan full-time

Pros

Lots of Praise when you do something right.

Cons

Reliability of younger staff on the weekend causes headaches for Managers.

2. ok

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Darque Tan part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you get free tanning in levels 1&2, and you can pick up shifts at any darque tan.

Cons

you work alone the majority of the time unless you work in a store that you see a lot of people then you'll work with 1 other person. every things run through corporate. you get commission but its taxed 40%. Theres a huge turn over rate. You will only have 3-6 people working at your current location. if you want your job covered you have to text everyone to pick it up, the majority of the time they'll save no and you'll have to either buy them lotion, give them gas money, or buy them package money.

3. Assistant manager

I worked at Darque Tan

Pros

Free tans and nice people

Cons

horrible managing and pay is bad.

5. Fantastic experience and company who truly cares about its employees

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Darque Tan

Pros

The salons and team members in Austin are like a family, and the district manager, Nicole Lieser, is seriously one of the coolest people you will ever meet. There are a lot of incentives for you to preform well, and you receive 5% commission daily for everything you sell. No accomplishment goes unnoticed at Darque Tan. Not only is the district manager awesome, but the CEO, Robbie Segler, is one of the most laid back, hilarious people I've ever known as well.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about Darque Tan because my time here has been truly amazing, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

6. Biased company, willing to drop anyone for anything.

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Darque Tan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working alone. The amount of overtime you can work is up to you. Competitive co-workers. Team leads are always getting involved and trying to motivate everyone.

Cons

Corporate picks favorites. If they dislike you or have any issues from other managers about you they believe who ever has been with the company longer. You can be fired for just about anything. Unless you're in good with Corporate; then you can get away with murder.

Advice to Management

Do not power trip. Keep up on your sales and maintain a CLEAN salon. Keep in touch with other managers and surrounding salons.

7. There are no equals, just favorites

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Darque Tan

Pros

You can operate somewhat independently during shifts because you literally work alone all the time. Big brother is always watching you so toe the line. You can pick up shifts anywhere so its easy to add hours and they allow ten hrs of overtime.

Cons

Very cliquey. If you aren't in with the management good luck getting fair treatment. My manager literally sabotaged me and wrote me up over and over again for things she herself did because she wanted my hours when she transferred to my salon and I wouldn't give them up. Can't turn to corporate because they were promoted internally and have been friends with my manager for a few years. You don't get breaks because you are the only one working. Even working a ten hour shift you don't get a break. I had to stop breast feeding my son because they scheduled me 2 10 hour days in a row and I never had a break to pump. This company sucks. Any other salon lets employees tan for free. Not Darque tan. Just low pressures are free. The others you have to be super good at sales and win pkg money through contests or buy your own to use the other beds. I am consistently hitting high sales marks and am never recognized for my contributions. Just the favorites get the spot light. I'm lucky I am good at sales so my commission bumps my hrly wage up. They also deduct your pay at will if you are late or do something they disapprove of. if you are sick, throwing up and can't get out of bed, you better start looking for another job because if you call in you get fired. If you have any self respect, DO NOT WORK FOR DARQUE TAN.

Advice to Management

Management should be in place to better their employees and guide them. Not hover around waiting for people to give them a reason to enforced discipline. You are fostering a negative work environment and no one wants to work in a place they are devalued and have to worry about inadequate superiors trying to manipulate the policies to control or force out employees. There is no one to turn to if managers are friends with district and corporate staff.

8. Fantastic

I have been working at Darque Tan

Pros

Organization. Flexible. Fun hours pay. Highly flexible. Easy to move up great training pays for vehicles. Gas. Bonus and commission

Cons

Lots of long work hours nights and weekends. Long commute. Always turn over love the boss. Tan lots of people

Advice to Management

Hi

9. Easy job, great people!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Darque Tan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work up to 50 hours a week (you need approval to work beyond that) and everyone that works here is really cool! It is a pretty easy job, just show up, keep customers happy and sell some products/memberships. Commission is awesome and adds a lot to the hourly wage. They promote within, so everyone is eligible for a raise/promotion. Everyone that works at corporate used to work in a salon so they understand where you're coming from, and are a great resource.

Cons

When the shifts were slow they could seem long, but there was always a lot of cleaning/organizing to be done. You were never really bored!

10. Not the worst but not for me

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Darque Tan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Chance for commission (varied potential based on store) -Initial title of "assistant manager" looks nice on resume and sounds good -independence (vary based on store as well) -very possible to achieve manager -responsibilities are somewhat diverse; helps you understand a store's operation vertically -can work in multiple locations and get extra hours, transferring to another location is possible

Cons

-Schedule not super flexible. this depends on who you work with but if you are responsible for filling in a shift and you don't, you will be fired probably as you are responsible for opening the store. The hours can also be at weird times, I worked more than 12 hours in a shift once (not normal but possible). Also the manager wiil probably take all the good weekend hours as they are responsible for making the schedule. ALSO you must be full time, part timers can "fill-in" for others but it is not reliable and you might have to drive much farther than you'd like. -I worked here when I was 18-19, and managers can be not far from that age, so the person responsible for your schedule and in some cases your job security and other perks can be a petulant child, especially since this is a tanning salon (attracts some not-so-bright types). If you get a manager that you don't get along with, your life can be hell. -pressure to sell. its not an insane amount of pressure but don't expect to work a high volume location if you can't or refuse to sell. -items/services you are selling are marked up (some much more than others) and it feels dishonest to try and sell them to people. this might be mitigated if you truly believe in tanning salons and lotions for some reason. -secondhand accounts of upper management not being helpful to/backing up their employees -biweekly meetings. nasty pizza provided. they are in one location and if you live on the other side of town (could be a 45min-1hr drive) you are gonna be a sad panda. at least they are paid (2 hrs). -the ceo seems like a jerk from the few interactions i had with him

Advice to Management

Some of the opportunities you are offering are nice, but promote a more positive culture and fairness in the manager/asst manager relationship.

11. Very positive experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Darque Tan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great commission and bonuses...

Cons

There were times when we were very short staffed.

RSS Feed </> Embed