Dart Transit Trucking

Updated March 31, 2015
10 reviews filtered by
3.7
David Oren

The Best Employer I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lancaster, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Lancaster, TX

I worked at Dart Transit Trucking

Pros

Very Organized - great ownership (family owned company)- great benefits.

Cons

The company is always positive in its treatment of employees. No Cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great pro-active organization that you have always had.

2. Internship

Former Intern - Intern in Lancaster, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Lancaster, TX

I worked at Dart Transit Trucking as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great culture. Very fun place to work. Will keep you busy.

Cons

Very repetitive work. The work isn't very challenging. Get your smiling and dialing down.

Advice to Management

Let the interns take over more work as you see fit. We are smarter than a lot of the people. Replace the old people.

Ok not much corp. support

I have been working at Dart Transit Trucking full-time

Pros

Decent Benefits and good coworkers.

Cons

High quotas and little corp. support

Great internship overall

Current Employee - Intern in Lancaster, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Lancaster, TX

I have been working at Dart Transit Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for a college student. 6 weeks of training dealing with the entire company. Work very closely with a Mentor.

Cons

Some drivers are pretty awful to deal with. Some days are super slow as an intern as well.

NIce co-workers and enviroment but poor pay and managers

Former Employee - Administrative in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Eagan, MN

I worked at Dart Transit Trucking full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is family-owned and has that feel to it. The people working there are generally very nice and fun to be around. The HR department tries hard to motivate staff but it is difficult with little funds.

Cons

There is little room for advancement. Employees there 10+ years are not valued. They would rather hire someone new at a lower wage than promote or advance from within. It is all about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Spend less time worrying about how much $ you are making for yourself and more time developing talent.

Good people, management needs more training

Former Employee - Load Planner, Operations in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Load Planner, Operations in Eagan, MN

I worked at Dart Transit Trucking

Pros

Good people
    If you find the right folks you can problem solve effectively
    Culture of taking care of our contractors.

Cons

Mediocre to poor mid level leadership (it was commonplace for me to be "counseled" by my manager by email with my entire group copied in)
    Compensation is low. They have this goofy "compensation chart" that they show every employee during their annual review to show them their "true" compensation (vacation days, benefits, etc...) That's great, but everyone gives out benefits, show me the money honey.
    Need to work on reducing the influence of some of the "crusties" who seem to think that they are entitled to anything because they have been there so long. Some of these guys/gals do not know what they are doing, and are often counterproductive.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on training and developing your leaders. Dart has mid-level leaders that are all over the map in their management style, with some that are totally incompetent.

Good truck line to work for

Former Employee - Account Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Dart Transit Trucking

Pros

For a truck line the management outlook is fairly progressive. They've got some good products and they generally care for each other. Very family oriented company. Most truck lines you will see a lot of tension in operations and a push to run trucks beyond HOS. Here the safety department is well in control and they try to keep the tension low in ops. Working in ops during the weekend will get overtime pay.

Cons

Pay is very low overall, they can have trouble developing their managers. Family run businesses sometimes put family members in places of responsibility when they really shouldn't, and here is no different.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee development(classes, evaluation systems, educational reimbursement etc..). Initiate 360 degree feedback systems for management and employees.

Be specific in regard to the salary you want before you accept a position.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Dart Transit Trucking

Pros

Benefits, the benefits are awesome. But the benefits, no matter how Dart figures them, will NEVER compensate you for the low wages. The company is family owned and ran and therefore had more of a "family" attitude. Dart is a small to mid size company with positions throughout the US with personnel who work directly from their home.

Cons

Pay, the pay is not up to par....1-3 % annual salary increases regardless of how well you help develop or strengthen the company. Extra work load....expected, please don't expect any kind of kudo. Dart is known for meeting out punishment.....are you considered a team player?? If not beware you may be escorted fron the premises.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.....choose your management carefully and then put procedures in place to make sure that the are doing the job. Implementing a management review would help a lot.

Its agood place to haul freight, there is plenty of it.

Former Employee - Owner Operator in Egan (China)
    Former Employee - Owner Operator in Egan (China)

I worked at Dart Transit Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

95% drop and hook,always seem to have good freight. They did try their hardest to get you home when you requested it. If a consignee held you up too long dispatch did what they could to get you movin again, always payed detention. I would put my truck back on with them.

Cons

Some of the snot nosed brats in dispatch have never sat in a truck let alone try to make a living in one, then they try to tell you how to run your truck, but thats only a few and they may be gone by now. When in a lease purchase they give you just enough miles to pay your bills with them but you gotta run way hard to pay your bills at home. Wouldnt recamend a lease/purchase with anyone.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting retired drivers in dispatch that know something and have a personality. Oh and how about a bigger lot in Eagan to park or move your trailer shop so there is room to park inservice trls. it gets a bit cramped in there to say the least.

Senior Pricing Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Pricing Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Pricing Analyst

I worked at Dart Transit Trucking full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We were given the freedom to do our jobs. We were a results driven company. We had great customer contact, which helped provide us loads when we needed them.

Cons

Sometimes the hours got a little long if we had to finish a project or bid that was on a time deadline. Other than that this family owned company was great to work for. It's people were it largest asset.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and open working environment.