Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center

James N. Weinstein

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Carrot and Stick

Housekeeper (Former Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsThe pay scale is one of the best in the area, across all job groups. They actively solicit feedback from employees about how best to improve. The benefits were pretty good, again, some of the best I've seen in our area.

ConsIt is very much a "top-down" organization. Complaints about individuals seemed to go into the ether. In the department I worked in, there were very few chances to advance. If one wanted to advance, you would have to transfer out of our department to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining was sporadic. I would recommend that supervisors get out on the floor more often, not to check up on employees, but to make certain that workloads are fair. Some people had very light workloads, others had far too much. Assigned areas really need to be reassessed.

Inpatient Pharmacy

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsI have been working at DHMC for about a year now. During my time I have seen many technicians come and go in the Inpatient pharmacy. Most of them choose to stay because of the people. The people they they/I work with really make it worth while.

ConsManagement is a little rocky and all over the place. Short staffed so if just one or two people call out they are screwed for the day, but yet wont hire more people.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people!

adequate

CIS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsThe hsopital offers good benefits.

Conshealthcare is broken, with costs out of control

Advice to Senior Managementbe creative

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly structured environment dominated by 'this is how we do it' dinosaur philosophy.

Research Slave (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsBucolic forest setting; salmon and salad every Monday.

ConsPerfectly frustrating for new grads: do not expect to build a career at this institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementDHMC is missing a lot of ingredients: take more than a cursory look at Yale New Haven.

Sliding Employee Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsWorking for a great cause and helping others

ConsLack of focus on employees

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to invest in their employees. Employee rising healthcare every year with higher deductibles, No yearly raises, No bonus infrastructure, Very little advancement opportunities, Cutting retirement benefits, and Hiring freezes are unacceptable to retaining talented people. Seeing new building and purchases pop up all over the place all while not receiving any raise is disheartening to employees. The people of this organization are the ones that are making an impact on your patients. Please reward them.

Once I was a proud DHMC employee.......

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsThe folks who work with patients are wonderfully dedicated. Beautiful area. Best game in town.....

ConsUnbelievably TOP HEAVY! Arrogance at upper levels makes positive change near impossible. The workers are often doing 2-3 persons jobs, due to lower level personnel cutbacks. Patient care suffers due to low staffing levels. Being told 'you are lucky to have a job" is not inspirational in any way. No raises no retirement match.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit believing your own propaganda. LISTEN! THINGS NEED FIXING! Employees need to be appreciated. Come out from behind the locked doors and see how a wonderful facility is being run into the ground. Stop living on our old reputation

Physician for several years

Physician (Former Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsCompensation and benefits package attractive
    Several locations available

ConsRevolving door for a reason, across all locations. Low morale, high turnover. Found middle management to be either combative or unresponsive, depending on the person. I expected more from this organization, which promises to be supportive and encouraging but operates in just the opposite manner. Truly disappointing experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy spend all this time and money recruiting docs, then treat them this way? Time to clean out management and start over, and make it a place in which people want to work.

Used to be great, going downhill quickly unless you are a doctor/nurse

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsGreat technology for the area, high quality co-workers

ConsLack of recognition, senior management that is out of touch with it's employees and what it takes to run a successful business, everything is trending downhill.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to focus on increasing company morale. It seems that each year that passes there are significant cuts to benefits and no raises. This combined with the lack of hiring, recognition and possibility for promotion really takes a toll on the employees. However, I have noticed that the doctors/nurses have it much better off so it might be a decent place for them.

Good Place to Work

Analyst (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsGreat benefits - both healthcare and vacation time
    Great co-workers - smart, kind people who care about helping patients
    Great work-life balance - very family-friendly

ConsSalaries are probably lower than average for the market
    Path of advancement is quite narrow, especially in IT. While the work is interesting, it is frustrating to feel that you may be in the same position 5-10 years from now even if you do excellent work
    HR is a weak spot
    Hard to get a good grasp on the prospects of the organization as a whole. Get conflicting messages from leadership/gossip, and don't completely trust senior leaders to be honest

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough management as been forthcoming about financial difficulties and need to change the payment structure, there are enough rumors swirling about physician layoffs and office closings to make me think that we aren't getting the whole story.
    Be more creative in evaluating and promoting employees

Nice place for work/life balance and interesting work. Salaries could be higher.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsGreat patient care, work/life balance, interesting work

ConsLow salaries, located in northern New Hampshire so it's away from larger cities and things to do, they shy away from non-clinical employees working remotely.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain talented, non-clinical employees, please think about the option for these employees to work remotely. Many other healthcare organizations are offering this and quite a few employees from Dartmouth-Hitchcock have moved on to these other organizations and are also making more of a salary.

Worked for Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!