Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center

No place is perfect...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH

I worked at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand name and Ivy League cachet due to affiliation with Dartmouth Medical School; Level I Trauma Center and only one in this region, so for clinical experience in this area, DHMC is your hands down best bet. CEO seems visionary; ton of talent among the residents and attending physicians, which makes for constant learning opportunities. Nice collaboration between MDs and RNs, with a few exceptions. For a Level I Trauma Center and teaching hospital it has a decidedly community hospital feel, not as cold as other teaching hospitals.
    The place itself is beautiful, lots of light, good art curated by someone in house. There's a fantastic onsite library, the medical school is right there. AWESOME resources in terms of learning.

Cons

Much of the middle management and department heads throughout are insufferable, inexperienced, seem disorganized and unsupported, a lot of management turnover, not always with improvement. They seem to promote from within, which is great on one hand, but not always a good idea (especially with staff/leaders who have no other experience but DHMC, a sort of perpetuation of cultural problems occurs with this, especially in nursing.) Lot of staff turnover as well.
    Paltry benefits package, worst health insurance ever, stagnant wages, lost their Magnet nursing status essentially due to poor leadership and disgruntled staff.

Worst scheduling systems ever, truly. If you weren't pro-union before working here, you may well be on leaving.
    They're the only game of their ilk in the area, and they have the Dartmouth name, so there's a certain amount of arrogance in HR and management about this. After all, where else are you going to go in this region? Staff and patients alike are a bit of a "captive audience."
    Some of the practice is behind the times, probably due to geographical location. Still I would think being Ivy League, they might be a little more cutting edge. But you can't tell them anything- They're Dartmouth.

Get a handle on the management situation, and develop a reasonable pay scale with annual opportunities for merit based increases. You can't possibly expect to get away with the "wage freeze" plan while simultaneously remaining obscenely "top heavy."
    It may lead to greater staff retention.
    Get Magnet status back, then walk that talk.
    Stop reinventing clinical wheels, and catch up to the "flatlander" medical centers. You'd think with Boston right there, it would be more clinically competitive. I'm surprised to see protocols being implemented just this year, that were in place 6-8 years ago, less than 100 miles south.
    Certain nursing leadership should be shown the door.

Trouble in Oz.....

Former Employee - Can't Say They Like to Retaliate  in  Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Can't Say They Like to Retaliate in Lebanon, NH

I worked at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

A beautiful building on a beautiful campus (on the outside). Many perks in-house: banking, travel agency, hair salon, many food options, post office. Great libraries and resources.

Cons

This is the most toxic environment I have ever worked in, with poor leadership and many layers of "fluff" that are just putting in their time until retirement. It's no wonder they are not getting Magnet designation again....one look at the nursing and patient satisfaction rates and the surveyors were alarmed. They are sadly not alone. as most staff is miserable and feel trapped into working there as there are not many other options in the area. Employees are expected to drink the Dartmouth Kool-Aid, and when they don't, they are "counseled" about not being a team player and made to feel small and ind=significant and replaceable. You are not allowed to advocate for staff or patients, and there are many MANY medical errors made in the facility daily, all covered up and never mentioned except in whispers in offices and meeting rooms. As a nursing leader, I was chastised for standing up for staff and patients. Many leaders with tenure take advantage of their position by coming in late, leaving early, going to workout for an hour during the day, leaving to run personal errands, or just taking hour long walks outside on nice days...all while hell is breaking loose inside the facility. Staff work in fear of losing their jobs instead of being encouraged to share ideas to make work better. The majority of computer platforms do not work well with each other, leaving employees frustrated and patients open for errors to occur. This severe lack of communication starts at the top....I NEVER saw or met the CEO or CNO...those people you see in the newsletter touting themselves to be on the front lines with us. Forget it! They are locked up in their office or on "business trips" promoting themselves. In short...the employees make THEM look good.And forget taking your concerns to HR, they are as nonchalant about the corruption as Senior Leadership. How hard is it to know that your employees want to be recognized and appreciated and in turn will give you 110%? It's not rocket science....be visible, be appreciative, and know when to step up and help. Don't act like you are doing them a favor by letting them work there. Some staff are choosing less money at smaller facilities just to get away from the insanity. And patients are choosing smaller community hospitals where they are treated like people, not experiments or numbers. I would never seek care here for myself or my family. Check their sepsis rates prior to 2014, look at their HCAPS scores....Dartmouth Hitchcock just doesn't deliver the stellar care they say they do. They have their share of cleanliness issues: bedbugs, lice, ants...they don't even isolate MRSA patients, so a perfectly non-infected person could be sharing a room and bathroom with someone with active MRSA. I must have heard 100 times, "We don't have to worry about patients coming here, where else are they going to go?" Well guess what, DHMC, they are going in DROVES to Boston and other places that are better managed, with better patient outcomes and happier staff. Maybe one day you will see that being the biggest does not guarantee you designation as the best.

Get your head out of the sand and get on the units with the staff. Yes, Jim Weinstein, stopping talking your political jargon and actually spend a few days with the staff, not just nursing staff but ancillary staff as well. Clean house of all the useless management that do absolutely nothing but terrorize staff. A Culture of Caring?? Forget it, all you care about is your profits.

Welcome to reality television

Current Employee - Near the Yellow Brick Road  in  Lebanon, NH
    Current Employee - Near the Yellow Brick Road in Lebanon, NH

I have been working at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time

Pros

In this particular region, there is not a lot of options for employment other than this facility. The area is a great place for family and year round entertainment.

Cons

Much like reality television, you will encounter alliances and if you are not onboard you will be voted off the island, period. If you come to this facility without very much experience don't expect to be trained in ANY area where you can learn and grow. However, be prepared to do the lion's share of the work and receive scathing and insulting reviews that come as a total shock.
    Management is disorganized and disengaged which leaves out the basics: distance and direction-this means support! Instead of support expect blame and no recognition of any of YOUR hard work. The concept of "TEAM" does not live here. In fact, the overall vibe is "be thankful you have a job." A very juvenile mentality for sure.
    The culture of caring is about the almighty profit upper management strives to reach and rarely achieves. This is not a culture that invests in the people that pull the weight that brings in the dough.
    Imagine a culture that supports, challenges, and motivates their employees.
    Imagine a culture that dissolves arrogance and promotes creativity.

Where to start....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unappreciated Nurse at DH Manchester

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits have been really good, but recently they've been cut back. The salary is less than what you can get elsewhere. Depending on your manager, time off can be pretty good.

Many great, caring and compassionate physicians, NP and PA's.

Cons

Shorted staff due to frequent employee vacancies. It also takes months to fill a position. Employees aren't appreciated BY many managers and senior managers. Providers do not get the respect they deserve from management.

Please look at the employee evaluations and open you eyes! Your greatest asset, your staff, is telling you what is wrong. If you don't address these concerns, I don't see a great future for some of the out patient clinics.

Carrot and Stick

Former Employee - Housekeeper  in  Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Lebanon, NH

I worked at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay scale is one of the best in the area, across all job groups. They actively solicit feedback from employees about how best to improve. The benefits were pretty good, again, some of the best I've seen in our area.

Cons

It is very much a "top-down" organization. Complaints about individuals seemed to go into the ether. In the department I worked in, there were very few chances to advance. If one wanted to advance, you would have to transfer out of our department to another.

Training was sporadic. I would recommend that supervisors get out on the floor more often, not to check up on employees, but to make certain that workloads are fair. Some people had very light workloads, others had far too much. Assigned areas really need to be reassessed.

I have worked here for a long time.

Pros

Good place to help people

Cons

Too many administrators that don't really care about the working people under them. The agree with you and your concerns but then do not do anything about the situation.

Learn to really listen and then act to improve the situation.

I started my journey with DH as a child, as I grew I dreamed of giving back the amazing care I had received, and I did!

Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant  in  Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Concord, NH

I worked at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great reputation, Great team of healthcare workers, Very nice time-off/Earned time package, discounts on cell phone services among other discounts offered

Cons

Benefits are decreasing due to cost cuts, "perks" have been taken away, promotions are few and far between as well as raises-hard to receive any increase in wages, even with outstanding reviews

I know that the medical field is taking some hard hits right now and we are needing to cut costs, your staff is who keeps your company going and gives it the wonderful reputation that it has rightfully earned, taking benefits and bonuses away from them only hurts moral, in return hurting the care of our patients. All is bad for business. Remember your staff! Embrace them! They ALL work hard day in and day out to make DH a wonderful place to work as well as a wonderful place to receive care. If you continue to neglect your staff, you continue to take away the "perks" of the job, the good benefits, bonuses, the amazing healthcare workers that you have will find other places to work. They will find new job with better pay, better benefits, better "perks" and bonuses. PLEASE, take care of your staff, they truly are the best in the business, they took great care of me when I was young, so much so that I wanted more than anything to become one of them!

Inpatient Pharmacy

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Lebanon, NH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lebanon, NH

I have been working at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at DHMC for about a year now. During my time I have seen many technicians come and go in the Inpatient pharmacy. Most of them choose to stay because of the people. The people they they/I work with really make it worth while.

Cons

Management is a little rocky and all over the place. Short staffed so if just one or two people call out they are screwed for the day, but yet wont hire more people.

Hire more people!

We've always done it this way (and you should too).

I worked at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The facility is really nice. The area is not too bad. The providers really care about the people for whom they provide services. Pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

Bureaucratic, top-heavy business practices that are stuck in the 80's and 90's. A "we've always done it this way" mentality that stifles the ability to get anything accomplished. Middle managers in IT that openly dislike each other and trash talk each other. Implementing any new process, procedure or business system results in everyone trying to mold the new system to fit their existing process instead of looking for ways to utilize new tools to improve business practices. The management mantra for projects is "Show me the Gantt chart!" If there is a Gantt chart that I can show during meetings, then the project MUST be on track.

Advice to anyone considering working here: You had better be really sure you want to work here before relocating. The employment opportunities in this part of the country are very limited. Once you are hooked in at DHMC, getting away is not easy. Watch out, up front for the low-ball! You will likely never see a pay raise. Write your ticket at the beginning.

Get rid of some of the fossils in the IT department. Stop cutting employee benefits. Provide some employee development/career advancement opportunities. Work on new process and procedure that will bring business practices in to the 21st century. Get some focus on the direction that the organization is moving and develop an IT policy that supports it. Push change down from the top and stop trying to bring it in from the bottom up. If you aren't going to listen to people when you ask them for suggestions, then don't expect good people to bang their heads for you forever.

No pay raises.

I have been working at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big hospital in a rural setting = perfect for me. Academic medical center offers lots in the way of learning opportunities. Great co-workers, decent benefits, green hospital.

Cons

No pay raises in a long time. They dangle the carrot and then never follow through. Add that to significant cuts in benefits over the last few years and you get a company that is not as great to work for as it used to be.

Give yearly raises. Period.

Worked for Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!