Dartmouth Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

Dartmouth President Philip Hanlon
Philip Hanlon

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a tight-knit community (in 5 reviews)

• Also full of very friendly people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High cost of living, university town (in 4 reviews)

• hanover is in the middle of nowhere (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good coworkers, no advancement, mediocre leadership

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Dartmouth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Liked my coworkers, did interesting work, I had a short commute and the health benefits were great. People outside the organization are very impressed with the name so that can be a door-opener.

Cons

No diversity within the organization or the community, pay raises were low around 1 to 1.5 percent, the pay is definitely suppressed and the opportunity to advance or learn more through professional development didn't exist.

Don't bank so much on being an Ivy. Competition is steep for good people in higher ed.

Great area, wonderful people, limited institutional support

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Hanover, NH
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Hanover, NH

I have been working at Dartmouth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The poeple are wonderful, and the area is beautiful. Once you figure out how to navigate some of the systems in place there are opportunities for professional development and there is support to pursue that.
    health and tuition benefits are good.

Cons

There are very limited opportunities for raises and promotions. The compensation system is structured in a ridgid way that locks salaries in below industry standards. The area, while beautiful and family oriented, is not an inexpensive place to live, salaries of mid-level staff do not match the cost of living in the area. I breifly had the same job title as my husband, while I have higher level degrees than him he was paid more to do the same job...gender equality does not yet exist at Dartmouth.
    While the instituiton has many resources, and is continually growing its facilities, employees are offered few "perks" for working for a large private college.

dartmouth is a small Ivy league research university

Current Employee - Associate Professor  in  Lebanon, NH
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Lebanon, NH

I have been working at Dartmouth full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

collegiate, interactive scientific environment
    location
    excellent graduate students
    short commute

Cons

Not a place to be for an urbanist
    small size of the university may make recruitment of top-notch talent challenging
    weak in clinical research

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting work, decent colleagues, good benefits, but inadequate pay

Former Employee - Strategic Analyst  in  Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Strategic Analyst in Lebanon, NH

I worked at Dartmouth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great, interesting work. Friendly people from a variety of backgrounds. Professional development encouraged and paid for. A chance to travel occasionally. Promotion from within. Depending on your department and supervisor, you may be able to have some flexibility in your schedule and tasks.

Cons

The pay is not enough to support one person (let alone a family) in the Dartmouth College area. The cost of living is close to that of the Boston area, but the pay was slightly lower than I had been making in the Midwest in a medium-sized city.

Awesome.

Former Employee - Study Group Leader  in  Hanover, NH
    Former Employee - Study Group Leader in Hanover, NH

I worked at Dartmouth part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very close to where I lived. Good pay. Normal people.

Cons

Not as many hours were available as I would wish.

Research Assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Hanover, NH
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Hanover, NH

I have been working at Dartmouth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very understanding professors, exciting research.

Cons

Nothing.This is an amazing work opportunity.

Nothing.

Great postdoctoral working environment.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral  in  Hanover, NH
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Hanover, NH

I have been working at Dartmouth full-time for more than a year

Pros

The faculty here are top-notch but because the institution is primarily undergrad-oriented, they are much more available to students (and postdocs) than comparable quality faculty at larger intensively research-oriented places. The departmental and library support staff are also incredibly helpful, for both teaching-related and research-related tasks.

Cons

This is a small town, so outside of the college, there are limited cultural amenities. Life in town is also much more expensive than in other towns of comparable size. Also, on average, the student body here is very affluent (or it feels this way): Dartmouth feels less class-diverse than some other institutions I've spent time at.

Dartmouth is Beautiful and an interesting place to work

I have been working at Dartmouth

Pros

Many of the facilities are extremely nice owing to the prestigious nature of the college. However much of the college (inner workings) need some updating and attention. Hanover itself is beautiful and the springs/fall could not be more beautiful.

Cons

Hanover is a microcosm. The bureaucracy is large and sluggish. Often times I have trouble getting my office cleaned.

Small town practices evident in small minded business/employee practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hanover, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

I worked at Dartmouth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dartmouth is very supportive of having healthy employees and offered great motivators to get people working out. Benefits are good if you work there full time and for a long time (3+ years).

Cons

No opportunity for advancement - you can just move from department to department. There is a huge divide between the faculty and upper management who are really poor managers. They also treat their support staff poorly and offer no recognition of quality work and no motivation to learn new skills or grow.
    Given how insular and small the community, they are not friendly to outsiders and most of the higher level managers have been there forever and are not open to new ideas. Since they are one of the only employers in the area people have no choice but to settle for poor paying jobs and no growth.

Respect your employees and offer opportunities for them to learn new skills and grow. Management also should take management classes and know how to motivate and train people.

Fantastic experience

I worked at Dartmouth

Pros

This is a really easy job, can do homework at the desk, few people come in or out. It's quiet and nice and you can pick as many hours as you'd like. Also full of very friendly people.

Cons

There really aren't a lot of opportunities to move up. It's hard to use this job as your only job because cost of living in New Hampshire is too high.

Worked for Dartmouth? Contribute to the Community!