Dassault Systemes Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

Dassault Systemes President and CEO Bernard Charles
Bernard Charles

Pros
  • The work-life balance is very good, and the atmosphere in the company is mostly nice (in 10 reviews)

• mes is also ready to invest in cutting-edge technologies, which allows you to fidget a bit with very nice tech (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salary on average comparing to other companies (in 5 reviews)

• No career path of progression for graduates/post graduates recruited from top Management Schools and Engineering institutes (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The most amazing software that doesn't work.

Former Employee - Sales Management  in  Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Management in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Dassault Systemes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

DS provides a progressive environment filled with friendly, intelligent, and creative people. There are plenty of opportunities to learn new software here - mainly because R&D (or should I say, marketing) keeps re-inventing the wheel. Health insurance plan is second to none, and benefits are good as well - 3 weeks paid vacation and 12 corporate holidays to start. Work life balance is good as well, but pay is not competitive for the industry.

Cons

Vaporware. We sell it, and nobody seems interested. The last TWO major versions of our flagship product have gone largely ignored worldwide, and it's not surprising. R&D is answering the big questions that no one is asking, and have spent little attention to product relevance, much less maturity. Most of the software demo'd for clients is alpha, maybe beta, at best - something MS or Google would never do (even if they call by that name). HR department has some good folks, and a few monumental idiots who do a great job adding stress to employees lives. It is not uncommon to hear horror stories in the office about "overlooked" pay increases, curiously disqualified bonuses, and flat-out offensive emails coming from these bad apples, and yet somehow, they remain employed.

Allow your products to mature before selling them to your customers. Too much attention to the numbers has made you lose sight of the fact that if the product doesn't work, you have no sale, or worse yet, the customer buys, and we burn that bridge forever. Consider form before function for our products, instead of the other way around. Our customers do serious work with this stuff, and could care less about a beautiful interface that cuts productivity in half.

A strange and often wonderful company

Current Employee - Director  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Dassault Systemes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

DS has an excellent benefits package and it is a company where you can manage Work/Life balance if you try. The company is absolutely loaded with incredibly talented employees who are inspired by the compelling vision being pursued by the top leadership of the company. IFWE can deliver most of what we promise we will make the world a better place.

The company has a solid business model and excellent financial leadership enables it to pursue long range goals and endure through significant mistakes and poor economies.

Employees have real opportunity at DS. It is rare to do the same job for more than a few years. You will not be bored here. The company is also pretty loyal and encourages people to move between roles to pursue new areas of interest within the company.

DS is an international company and this opens up a lot of opportunity for travel.

Cons

Although the vision of the company is extremely compelling, DS has missed every major technology shift of the last 20 years. The company is always playing catch up because it tries to compete at the wrong level. How could a company with great vision be so blind about it's place in the world of technology? Some examples (I swear all are true): DS once tried to "own the desktop". When CATIA ran on Mainframe and UNIX Workstations DS decided to build a better desktop experience than Microsoft. When browsers were born DS decided to develop a better browser. When social networking exploded DS decided it had to buy one of it's own. Now DS is late to cloud computing and online sales. I lay this issue squarely at the feet of the leader of the R&D team: Dominique Florack. Time after time he has been wrong and yet he still is in charge of the technical direction of the company.

The company organization is too complex and this leads to confusion among employees and unhealthy internal competition among mid-level managers. It takes years to assimilate new acquisitions. DS' array of business systems are confusing, irrationally assembled, and mostly built internally.

DS is a French company and there are real challenges to overcome if you don't understand French culture and "the DS Way".

In my view the Pros outweigh the Cons, but you do have to be able to tolerate some frustration. A lot of very smart people are still here because they, like DS, have a long term vision.

Stop adding layers to the management matrix. Instead kill some layers. We don't need Channels and Geos and Brands and Industries ALL carrying "Sales Targets" and all thinking that they own the strategy and engagement. Decide who's in charge and get on with it.

Treat Management as the profession it is. Lower layers of Management in DS are very poor. It didn't matter when the company was small but you cannot retain the best people with very poor Managers.

Understand real core competencies. Understand Google, Salesforce, Oracle, etc are not competitors. Really.

Great people average processes

I have been working at Dassault Systemes full-time

Pros

Culture in the US is great.

Cons

Everything is pretty much dictated by France Execs. Process improvements are slow. Decisions are slow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work life balance place

Former Employee - Tax Intern  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Dassault Systemes as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance. Nice working environment. Team is very supportive. Overall it's been a great experience for me.

Cons

As an intern, I don't see much cons except they are not hiring through internship program. People work in tax are mostly from big four.

Has its pros and cons like any place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Dassault Systemes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

so far good benefits and good work/life balance

Cons

no growth
    bad commute
    few employee perks

Check employee morale once in a while

Stay away unless you are related to someone here or are favored

Current Employee - Consultant - Software Developer  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant - Software Developer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Dassault Systemes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some nice people but they are all leaving and moving on!!

Cons

mistreatment if not favored, detached management, fear based management styles, no growth, and hostile work place
    HR is useless and only care about events and favoritism. Management turns blind eye to people that do not work there but expect favors and are not that bright. Some people have been there too long and need to move on! No career growth at all...well, unless you are in deeep favor with someone there!

Step up your game and stop hiding under your favoritism umbrella!

Good experience but you stuck of a single stream

Former Employee - Technical Intern  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Dassault Systemes as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice products
    Lot to learn
    Cafeteria is well equipped

Cons

Outdated backend systems
    Hard to understand the current work and to improve it

Try to be less formal because it hampers a lot of interns and new employees to adjust the environment.

my experience was good for some time.

Former Employee - Region Manager
    Former Employee - Region Manager

I worked at Dassault Systemes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great product's, industry leader. good strategy for supply chain dominanace.

Cons

constant re-org. French management mentality. Did not listen to market or employees

lister to market and employees, especially customers

Nice.. but....

I worked at Dassault Systemes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free gym, nice offices, friendly people, great café, awesome perks / benefits, good product

Cons

Poor management, Poor communication, no growth advancement, low salary

Communicate! Listen! Take Action! If there is a job oppty available, "share" it with the employees first rather than go outside the company to look.

Overall experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at Dassault Systemes full-time

Pros

Great technology, job security, good work life balance...

Cons

Limited growth within the company, not so competitive compensation package.

Worked for Dassault Systemes? Contribute to the Community!