Data Paradigm Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Paul Booth

1. “With hard work it is possible to advance quickly”

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has great environment to move up throughout company. Management is open to new ideas and plans that would move forward the company's business plan.

Cons

Long hours and hard to balance work and life

2. A technology company married to dated technology

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like everyone else said, free soda (coders need their caffeine). They feed you when you are required to work late and sometimes when you are required to work through lunch. Most of the people there are great to work with. Casual dress code (jeans and tennis shoes every day). Located right on the Pearl Station platform which is great if you are a DART rider. They compensate you an extra $70 if you take the train (a monthly pass is $80) or, if you drive, they provide free outdoor parking downtown (you have to pay extra to park inside). If you start as a business analyst there and work hard & demonstrate talent you can move up to team lead in a reasonable amount of time.

Cons

Technology is old. 90%+ of their code is Classic ASP and they constantly re-use old code - often old code that is not well written. There's no real path for their Classic ASP coders to progress to ASP.NET. Developer salaries aren't competitive. If you are recognized by management as talented then be prepared to be worked long hours. When project planning fails (as it often does) you will be required to put in excessive hours to meet deadlines. Getting away from work is difficulty when you are expected to have your phone with you at all times and be ready to respond to trouble calls 24/7. Benefits aren't competitive. DPI pays 100% of the employee's medical & dental premiums but zero percent of their spouse' or dependents' premium portion. If you have a spouse and kids you'll be paying just short of $1000 per month for medical & dental (as of 2015).

Advice to Management

Embrace new technology and start getting all of your developers current. Bring in some talented and experienced project managers & system architects to get projects on track and successful. And let them do what needs to be done.

Carrot dangling in your face!!!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dress code, free soda, nice view, free food when they don't want you to ever leave your desk and dinner if you work all night. Next to the train (dart rail), downtown.

Cons

High strees place to work... Pay below market, planning (what's that), process (there are none), benfits (good if you single). Cameras watching your every move. You are expected to work late at the drop of a hat (midnite or later) and there will be some at your desk checking row at 8:30 in the morning and you better be there. They treat the employees like dirt and slaves. They will lay you off with 5 minutes notice. The software is JUNK, the database design is horrible (300 tables not one relationship). They promote the "YES MAN", will lie to your face and stab you in the back at the drop of a hat. the client is alwasy right even when they are worng... You will work under less knowledgeable people and they expect you not to say anything about it but wear a smile. Morale will suck and they don't care... They expect you to go out of your way for them but will not do the same for youas an employee. I can go on...

Advice to Management

If you have a perosn that breaks thier back for you don't under value them! Listen to your worker bees that are driving the business. Don't try to please the client all the time, DPI is suppose to be the LEADER in the market so act like it, when you roll over all the time make them happy it makes the company look weak and like it's not the learder in the market. Stand your ground and act as if you know as much as you say you do. Treat your go to people BETTER!!! Better planning everything can't be a RUSH!!!

Low Pay; Lots of Hours

Former Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Dallas, TX

Pros

Free Sodas. Occasionally Let you work from home.

Cons

Disorganized. I worked far too much overtime. Was required to work on projects I was not qualified for even after I objected.

Advice to Management

Stand up to your customers, and don't let them walk all over you.

6. Horrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soft drinks. There was also catered food a lot so that you wouldn't ever have to leave your desk. They had a nice holiday party.

Cons

There was no work to life balance. The management here expected us to work 24/7. I remember one week working 7 straight days and not even receiving a thank you. The norm here is 12+ hour days and more. If you convey to management that you would like more normal hours, you will get let go. The bottom line here is, work long hours and you'll be praised. Try to leave before 6pm on any given day and you'll be looked down upon.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they voice their concerns. Stop treating your employees like they are slaves, but instead, show a little respect.

7. Ok place, but stagnant for a career.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Web team is awesome, just wish I had worked with them. Had a fantastic operations manager when I was there (but now they have a terrible operations manager who just seems to make things worse for everyone, hearsay).

Cons

Stupid and/or stagnant people to work with. Coding there is like 19th century coding. Almost all code will be a copy of old code, or bad code. No advanced or OO coding allowed because the company owner doesn't understand it.

Advice to Management

Need to hire some smart, accomplished and ambitious people in place or promote some of the extremely few smart ones you have and let them build something that works. And, with that, you can not be so stingy with the salaries.

Challenging, but sometimes overwhelming.

Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If you want to work hard, you can learn something new every day. - Senior developers are very good to help and teach. - Middle management is very encouraging and helpful. - Management strives to provide entertaining activities to relieve stress and promote interaction. - Free coffee and sodas.

Cons

- Paths to advancement are unclear and not openly encouraged. - Workload keeps you busy, but sometimes gets to be too much. - "Above and beyond" is encouraged, but rarely rewarded with financial compensation or extra time off.

9. Excellent Learning Experience - Great Opportunity

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There have been several Pros to working for DPI, and the learning experience that I have embarked on has to be number one. I have been involved in various aspects with our client in my short time here, and am given the freedom to ask questions to learn. I have been very pleased with management here. They encourage you to move up within the company, as long as you show the work ethic and the dedication that it takes to make that ascension. The employees here are great too. They are all very helpful, and lend a helping hand if you are looking for answers. The hours are not terrible either, which means that I get to spend time with my family when I get home, and on the weekends. All in all my experience has been great here.

Cons

Really the only con that I have is my drive to DPI. But looking at my Pros, I look forward to coming to work every day.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep encouraging employees to be great. This is a great company to work for, and having employees that have opportunities within the company is a great motivator.

Great talent, very poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health and 401K, easy access via DART, and the employees are great to work with.

Cons

When management is approached with concerns, they are often justified, swept under the rug, or the tables are turned on the employees that it is their issue, and they need to adjust. Leadership is wandering around in the dark; accountants that learned to lead through self-help books. Employees are expected to work through lunch, stay late, come early, work all weekend, and be on call 24/7. If you are out to dinner with your family or had plans, you are out of luck. If your phone rings, you answer and get to a computer immediately. They say there is an open door policy, but it is just for show. It is very sad because it could be a great place to work with the proper guidance. Pay is below the market rate.

Advice to Management

Hire a true manager to lead. The company is to the size now that it must consider culture and policy issues.

11. Good work experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are great. Very talented and creative people. Management gives employees a lot of freedom to get the job done

Cons

Often expected to work late nights and weekends when there is a lot going on (which is often).

RSS Feed </> Embed