Data Paradigm

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
2.2

Paul Booth

“With hard work it is possible to advance quickly”

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It has great environment to move up throughout company. Management is open to new ideas and plans that would move forward the company's business plan.

Cons

Long hours and hard to balance work and life

Horrible company to work for.

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free soft drinks. There was also catered food a lot so that you wouldn't ever have to leave your desk. They had a nice holiday party.

Cons

There was no work to life balance. The management here expected us to work 24/7. I remember one week working 7 straight days and not even receiving a thank you. The norm here is 12+ hour days and more. If you convey to management that you would like more normal hours, you will get let go. The bottom line here is, work long hours and you'll be praised. Try to leave before 6pm on any given day and you'll be looked down upon.

Listen to your employees when they voice their concerns. Stop treating your employees like they are slaves, but instead, show a little respect.

Ok place, but stagnant for a career.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Web team is awesome, just wish I had worked with them. Had a fantastic operations manager when I was there (but now they have a terrible operations manager who just seems to make things worse for everyone, hearsay).

Cons

Stupid and/or stagnant people to work with. Coding there is like 19th century coding. Almost all code will be a copy of old code, or bad code. No advanced or OO coding allowed because the company owner doesn't understand it.

Need to hire some smart, accomplished and ambitious people in place or promote some of the extremely few smart ones you have and let them build something that works. And, with that, you can not be so stingy with the salaries.

Challenging, but sometimes overwhelming.

Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- If you want to work hard, you can learn something new every day.
    - Senior developers are very good to help and teach.
    - Middle management is very encouraging and helpful.
    - Management strives to provide entertaining activities to relieve stress and promote interaction.
    - Free coffee and sodas.

Cons

- Paths to advancement are unclear and not openly encouraged.
    - Workload keeps you busy, but sometimes gets to be too much.
    - "Above and beyond" is encouraged, but rarely rewarded with financial compensation or extra time off.

Horrible company .

I worked at Data Paradigm as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

free soda, good view, high chair with two montiors . The manager always montiored what you are doing.

Cons

Bad managment, High presure, often work over time even in the weekend. PTO are awarded after one year employment. Technology is very old. Most people used Classic ASP. thet only care when the job is done, never care the quality. So the technical people is thought as a code machine.

work with people, not machine, life is not easy

Excellent Learning Experience - Great Opportunity

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There have been several Pros to working for DPI, and the learning experience that I have embarked on has to be number one. I have been involved in various aspects with our client in my short time here, and am given the freedom to ask questions to learn. I have been very pleased with management here. They encourage you to move up within the company, as long as you show the work ethic and the dedication that it takes to make that ascension. The employees here are great too. They are all very helpful, and lend a helping hand if you are looking for answers. The hours are not terrible either, which means that I get to spend time with my family when I get home, and on the weekends. All in all my experience has been great here.

Cons

Really the only con that I have is my drive to DPI. But looking at my Pros, I look forward to coming to work every day.

My advice to management would be to keep encouraging employees to be great. This is a great company to work for, and having employees that have opportunities within the company is a great motivator.

Great talent, very poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health and 401K, easy access via DART, and the employees are great to work with.

Cons

When management is approached with concerns, they are often justified, swept under the rug, or the tables are turned on the employees that it is their issue, and they need to adjust. Leadership is wandering around in the dark; accountants that learned to lead through self-help books. Employees are expected to work through lunch, stay late, come early, work all weekend, and be on call 24/7. If you are out to dinner with your family or had plans, you are out of luck. If your phone rings, you answer and get to a computer immediately. They say there is an open door policy, but it is just for show. It is very sad because it could be a great place to work with the proper guidance. Pay is below the market rate.

Hire a true manager to lead. The company is to the size now that it must consider culture and policy issues.

Good work experience

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people there are great. Very talented and creative people. Management gives employees a lot of freedom to get the job done

Cons

Often expected to work late nights and weekends when there is a lot going on (which is often).

As long as you don't ever disagree with the CEO, you'll do great!

Former Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Data Paradigm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Insurance paid, work downtown, next to a train stop. Great for early in your career, because you don't really need to have a lot of experience to work there. It's a great place to get your feet wet.
    It's also nice if you're a general nerd, as there are a lot of people there you can befriend. More than the average random dallas-style corporation.
    They don't REALLY lay off because they have a pretty good corner on the market of what they do.

Cons

There's a culture of fear that's pretty serious. There are a lot of threats if you step out of line, or disagree with someone. There are also a lot of seriously incompetent people on the business analyst side. Many people there don't really know what's supposed to happen, so you have to kind of guide them. This can be a pro, cuz you'll get business experience, but it will eat into your nights and weekends. Also, they don't have a methodology in place. They might call it agile, but it's agile without the agility. No real project managers of any kind, and a lot of the company flys by the seat of it's pants.
    When they "lay people off", it's because they're causing problems, so they get rid of several squeaky wheels en masse.
    Basically, it's a 10-year-old startup.
    They pay lower than the industry average.
    This is a very good example of the "A players hire A players, B players hire C players" koan of talent management.

I'd love to give advice to management, but management doesn't really listen. The one guy who was holding morale together left, so I doubt anyone up there would actually care what's written here.

Worse job I've had in my entire career.

Current Employee - Classic ASP/SQL Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Classic ASP/SQL Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Data Paradigm

Pros

Decent benefits and they are willing to let you have time off without pay. It's a job if you need one bad enough.

Cons

Cameras watching your every move. You are expected to work late at the drop of a hat (midnite or later) and there will be some at your desk checking row at 8:30 in the morning and you better be there. They treat the employees like dirt. They will lay you off with 5 minutes notice. The software is JUNK, the database design is horrible (300 tables not one relationship, no transactional programming). There is zero documentation. They will offer you a salary BELOW your min range. There is ZERO chance to upgrade your skills set.

Data Paradigm Photos

Average desk of people who have desks
This is what we