Data Recognition Corporation

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Susan Engeleiter

Worked to death with no rewards

Systems Administrative (Former Employee)
    Maple Grove, MN

ProsFellow peers were a blast to work with, decent end of year bonus, not micro-managed

ConsI had a lot of responsibility and cared a great deal about the success of my departments, but I didn't have enough people on my team to get the job done so I ended up working 6-7 days a week for over 3 years. I worked in the office during the day and worked from home at night because there were things that needed to be done that couldn't be done when folks were in the office working (I was in IT). The president of the company has no regard for employees who are outside of the "good ol' boys" network (I.e. a small group of executives and upper management). My boss tried to get me a raise for over 2 years because he knew how hard I worked, but the president wouldn't approve one because, as my boss told me, she really doesn't care. There have been 8 other people on my team there who have quit in the last 9 months, and 2 more are currently looking. Advice: ok company to work for as a contract employee, but beware of upper management and the president if you want to be a permanent employee. I saw many other peers who were slaves to their jobs and were not compensated financially or with flex time. I had to cancel 2 vacations last year due to work; I thought slavery was abolished a long time ago!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly care about your employees, show them by paying them what they are worth and trusting their managers to give them raises as they see fit. The president has no idea how people are performing, so why does she have to approve the raises? Put trust in the direct managers. CIO is incredibly controlling and not approachable, and has caused a lot of frustration among a lot of people with his wishy washy directives. CIO, make a stand and lead the company. Don't be mean to your subordinates and change your directives in the middle of projects.

It has been a positive experience

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsFriendly work environment with possible networking.

ConsSometimes the work can be monotonous.

great temporary work environment

Scorer (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsWell defined tasks, ease of work, pleasant environment

Constemporary work, no flexibility in schedule, work is monotonous

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DRC is a "I earned my B.A. and now I just need to earn money while looking for a permanent job" type of place.

Reader (Former Employee)
    Plymouth, MN

ProsPredictable hours w/set breaks (two 15 minutes, plus 1/2 hour for lunch)
    Upfront about salary ($11.50/hour)
    Near a pond/walking path
    Free parking
    Free coffee/tea

ConsIt is what it is: a temp job that goes project to project.
    Keep in mind that you will be sitting in front of a computer for 7+ hours with a room full of people (like being on an airplane) and not all the rooms have windows. It got to me- so I feel like I should at least warn others!
    Also, no headphones are allowed. (I'm one who needs to "filter" my environment to focus, so this was tough for me)
    Six is the metric for tardy/leaving early/sick days. Your manager keeps track and this information goes in your file (read: eligibility for re-hire/invited back for projects) Stuff happens, but just keep "six" in mind.

**Bring a non-electronic entertainment device (book/magazine/crossword) with you everyday. During training, there will be a lot of gaps, you'll need something to keep you quiet and pass the time.

Again, it is what it is.

Not a career but a stopgap between jobs

Columbus, OH

ProsClean and for the most part comfortable environment. You can dress how you want (within) reason, free coffee, tea and hot chocolate, always given breaks and lunches and can leave when you were originally told you could leave. You can work with many interesting, friendly people and make good connections. Occasionally the work can be interesting. Some (but not all) of the supervisors are great. You will get paid when you are told you are supposed to get paid and within a reasonable time. Convenient parking. Workers can get up, stretch, and use the restroom pretty much whenever as long as they meet their quota.

ConsWorkers are pressured almost constantly to meet a quota. Instead of paying a flat wage, readers must work a minimum of 40 hours a week to get a bonus. This means that if employees miss work, they won't get the full amount. In addition, if they decide that they don't need employees to work a full 40 hours for a week, employees won't get the bonus. If an employee misses more than 3 days, they are off the project and it will negatively effect their chances of being rehired. Management won't tell you when the project is ending until the last minute, but it will always end several days before the date they tell you it is projected to end and they will finish out with the supervisors. People are chosen for supervisory positions for no apparent reason. Work can be monotonous and you can get repetitive strain injury. Of course there are no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the readers with more respect. Avoid using jargon when training, especially with new readers. Give the employees more feedback on their job performance as it effects rehire and advancement opportunities. By improving readers' employment experiences, more experienced readers will return, thus helping the company meet it's quota quicker and thus make a larger profit.

Laid back and friendly

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee)

ProsBroad overview of Human Resources

ConsNot a fast paced environment

I gained many practical skills for my career.

Plymouth, MN

ProsGreat company to work for really seem to care about their employees. Will reward employees for a job well done.

ConsSmaller company may eventually hit a ceiling. In some areas teaching experience is highly recommended due to the nature of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is excellent. I think they have done a fantastic job growing their business and being aggressive about expanding without losing the quality our customers expect.

Good part-time season work in congenial atmosphere

Reader (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsDecent pay for type of work. Entertaining reading of student papers.

ConsWork is only seasonal. Not much change for advancement.

My experience was that I was pressured constantly to fill a quota.

Columbus, OH

ProsConvenient parking, pleasant coworkers, some team leaders were good, always got breaks and lunches. Sometimes the work could be interesting.

ConsPay wasn't high enough for a college graduate, seasonal and didn't know when the project would end or if you would get the bonus that week. There appeared to be no reason why certain people rose in the company. In addition, there was no reason why certain people were called back to do projects and others were not. They are scheduling projects tightly together so that they don't need people for as long as they used to and not getting other projects to make up for it, so it appears in the near future they will not be hiring as many people as in the past for a shorter amount of time. It is a job for someone in between jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect. Give them more feedback on their performance.

Good environment for the position.....

Plymouth, MN

ProsThey do a decent job of training you for what you need to score. Team leaders are helpful as are the scoring directors.

ConsNot too many for what the position is. Could perhaps pay more, but who doesn't want more money? Break room is crowded with lots of readers at the Plymouth location. Would be good to know what the long term schedule looks like for projects coming down the pike, but again just a minor thing.....

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you need to make some money and have a college degree and can score writing or math items then you can do some work for them if you follow the scoring rubrics. Not a bad thing to do if you are in between jobs.

Worked for Data Recognition Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Data Recognition Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Data Recognition Corporation CEO Susan Engeleiter. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Data Recognition Corporation employees.