Data Recognition Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Susan Engeleiter

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn Park, MN

ProsGood health benefits, 3% of salary as a yearly bonus

ConsInept managers, poor processes, antiquated systems, toxic atmosphere, very unhappy workers

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs training on how to manage people/projects, perfect example of the Peter Principle.

My experience was that I was pressured constantly to fill a quota.

Reader (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsConvenient parking, pleasant coworkers, some team leaders were good, always got breaks and lunches. Sometimes the work could be interesting.

ConsPay wasn't high enough for a college graduate, seasonal and didn't know when the project would end or if you would get the bonus that week. There appeared to be no reason why certain people rose in the company. In addition, there was no reason why certain people were called back to do projects and others were not. They are scheduling projects tightly together so that they don't need people for as long as they used to and not getting other projects to make up for it, so it appears in the near future they will not be hiring as many people as in the past for a shorter amount of time. It is a job for someone in between jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect. Give them more feedback on their performance.

Graded essay exams.

Minneapolis, MN

ProsDecent place for seasonal employment, especially between job transitions or post-retirement. Good place for meeting people who have worked in all sectors.

ConsLow pay with meager benefits, monotonous work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation was on the low side and benefits were substantially lacking. Work was extremely monotonous and readers were often treated with little respect.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Two different pictures for this company

Sharonville, OH

ProsThe day-to-day work with other seasonal employees is great. Opportunity to make some good friends while bringing home a small paycheck every now and then. For the most part it's a low-stress work environment. You have the chance to put in a good day's work and yet not take work home with you.

ConsThere's been a definite trend the last few years of the full-time management disregarding how their business practices affect its seasonal employee work force, and the expectations are rather unilateral. They want you to commit to working a project til it's completion and yet, in the last couple years, most projects are ending way earlier than what they say they will. In the last year, management has even begun sending people home mid-week due to poor planning on its part, or perhaps for hidden ulterior motives. There are more and more examples of them bringing employees in to work for x-number of weeks and then employees getting one or two days here and one or two days of work there. The problem with this is that many employees are turning down other possible job opportunities with the expectation they will receive 35 or so hours/week (830-4pm) only to get piece meal work from DRC. Not to mention people skip vacations, doctor visits, etc. in order to be at work, only to be sent right back home because there is no work that day or week.

If thinking about working here, definitely think twice, especially if you have other options. The job and the potential pay for seasonal employment looks attractive on paper and in the interview, but it's a different story in real life. A project they say will last 3 weeks may in fact end a week early and if they have not planned properly, you may come in one day at 830 only to be sent back home by noon, or worse, told that you will not be working for the next 1 or 2 days at all. If an apology and a thanks is all you require to be okay with being jerked around like that, DRC is your place to work.

This is definitely an employers' job market right now, and DRC seems to be using that to its full advantage.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecisions made in your office affect real people with real lives, real bills, real expectations. You have a loyal seasonal workforce, but you are using up your goodwill with how you are treating us with the business decisions you are making. When you give people a 15 minute notice that they are being sent home for the rest of the week because there is no more work (for whatever reason), you are showing you don't care that some of us turned down other job opportunities, or passed on vacations or delayed doctor visits in order to commit to working on a project.....with the expectation of getting work. I have seen decisions made by your management all just to save 8 dollars/reader even though we were coming in for partial work weeks (and that's not what the commitment is on the project reminder cards) to complete a project by your deadline. "Thank you for your hard work" and "Thank you for your patience on this difficult project" comments are abundant from the full-time management, but words are cheap. The actual decisions that you are making and how they affect your work force's day-to-day lives are what make a real impact. Currently, they are perceived as quite negative. More and more your seasonal employees are feeling like mushrooms and that management wants us to feel and know that we are all very easily replaced. You are doing a good job of communicating it.

Worked to death with no rewards

Systems Administrative (Former Employee)
    Maple Grove, MN

ProsFellow peers were a blast to work with, decent end of year bonus, not micro-managed

ConsI had a lot of responsibility and cared a great deal about the success of my departments, but I didn't have enough people on my team to get the job done so I ended up working 6-7 days a week for over 3 years. I worked in the office during the day and worked from home at night because there were things that needed to be done that couldn't be done when folks were in the office working (I was in IT). The president of the company has no regard for employees who are outside of the "good ol' boys" network (I.e. a small group of executives and upper management). My boss tried to get me a raise for over 2 years because he knew how hard I worked, but the president wouldn't approve one because, as my boss told me, she really doesn't care. There have been 8 other people on my team there who have quit in the last 9 months, and 2 more are currently looking. Advice: ok company to work for as a contract employee, but beware of upper management and the president if you want to be a permanent employee. I saw many other peers who were slaves to their jobs and were not compensated financially or with flex time. I had to cancel 2 vacations last year due to work; I thought slavery was abolished a long time ago!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly care about your employees, show them by paying them what they are worth and trusting their managers to give them raises as they see fit. The president has no idea how people are performing, so why does she have to approve the raises? Put trust in the direct managers. CIO is incredibly controlling and not approachable, and has caused a lot of frustration among a lot of people with his wishy washy directives. CIO, make a stand and lead the company. Don't be mean to your subordinates and change your directives in the middle of projects.

Boring work, but nice people

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsSometimes you get paid for days where you don't work. Fairly relaxed setting.

ConsBoring work in fluorescent lighting,

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to make work life more interesting

It was okay

Woodbury, MN

Prosgood hours

bonuses available for attendance

Consit can become very monotonous

It is what it is.

Test Scorer (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Very predictable work environment, no surprises at all, what you hear during the recruitment orientation is exactly what you get.
    - There is a requirement to have at least a bachelors degree for the position, so your coworkers are generally intelligent and reasonable people.
    - Team leaders and project coordinators were generally very friendly and accommodating
    - Some working hour flexibility: Required hours of M-F 8:30 - 4:00, but can start as early as 8:00 and stay as late as 5:00. $50 bonus if you work 40 hours per week.
    - Free popcorn during the afternoon break on Wednesday!

Cons- The work gets mindnumbingly boring after a few days, and usually you will be grading the same question for the whole duration of the project.
    - Lunch break is only 30 minutes, and there is not a very good selection of places to get food within a short driving distance, hence most people just bring their lunch
    - You don't get much personal space at all in the grading rooms, but at least management informs you of this ahead of time.
    - Even with the "flexible" hours, you can not normally work over 40 hours a week unless management approves overtime for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore break time to break up the monotony.

It Is What It Is

Woodbury, MN

ProsCasual atmosphere, a clean quiet environment, and very good team leaders, this is about as good as possible given the kind of mind numbing work that it is. At least in my case the work lasted the expected full month, with some variety as they kept switching us in and out of similar projects to even out workloads with other groups. Interesting dynamics as educated people got into meeting the goal, and would have serious discussions about what 11-year olds really meant in their essays so that they could be properly graded.

ConsPathetic pay, but then no one looks at this as a career. It's not a con, but interesting to note that by and large the workforce seems to be split between those just out of college and those largely past full-time careers; the two groups seem to get along very well--it's an educated workforce and everyone knows this is a temporary situation, so no one gets possessive about their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay readers just a little more; a similar company in the Twin Cities is at $13/hour. I don't know what team and project leaders make, but mine were good and probably deserve more. Having end of project surveys on them is a good idea, but at we were in a vacuum so far as management was concerned. At least some sort of minimal communication with the readers explaining the value of their work might be a slight morale booster. The requirement that people get up and move around every 2 hours is an excellent idea. Healthier snacks in the vending machine would be another asset. Finally, an idea on how one can move up if they come back enough times and do well might increase long-term retention.

Good PT work for Retirees.

Reader (Current Employee)
    Sharonville, OH

ProsLow Stress, decent pt pay, casual atmosphere. Seasonal from Spring through Summer.

ConsLack of communication between upper management and readers. Secret system for hiring TLs and Scoring Directors, appears to be more of a popularity contest than results-oriented. Scoring rooms are either too hot or cold. Some reader supervisors are unhelpful and standoffish. Bathrooms are filthy!

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress readers prior to beginning of project to welcome them to DRC. Post job opportunities. Better training for reader TLs and Scoring Directors. Work on better climate controlled scoring rooms and ensure bathrooms and lunchroom are clean.

Worked for Data Recognition Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Data Recognition Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Data Recognition Corporation CEO Susan Engeleiter. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Data Recognition Corporation employees.