Data Recognition Corporation

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
3.6

Susan Engeleiter

Company is a sinking ship, very poor IS/IT work environment, a company that I would avoid!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best benefits I have seen, buildings are well maintained and look good, used to be a good company for.

Cons

This company is a sinking ship and just laid off another round of people, inept management especially at CEO and CIO level, toxic work environment, nepotism and favoritism are rampant, poor raises, lower pay compared to other companies, lack up support for training or continuing education, no career path or mentoring structure at all.

I am not sure the ship can be righted, the former CEO and owner of the company must be disgusted how the company has fallen from its former glory. The CEO needs to stop being a tight wad and learn to spend money properly. The nepotism and favoritism needs to end, if you are not in the "in" crowd, there is little to no chance to advance or potentially will be targeted to be forced out. The company needs to actually back up the claim that they support education and training, getting training was near impossible and they cut back and imposed much stricter requirements on tuition reimbursement. The CIO also needs to lead and stop meddling at every level of IT/IS and just provide actual leadership and not rule by fear.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good health benefits, 3% of salary as a yearly bonus

Cons

Inept managers, poor processes, antiquated systems, toxic atmosphere, very unhappy workers

Management needs training on how to manage people/projects, perfect example of the Peter Principle.

My experience was that I was pressured constantly to fill a quota.

Current Employee - Reader  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Reader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

Convenient parking, pleasant coworkers, some team leaders were good, always got breaks and lunches. Sometimes the work could be interesting.

Cons

Pay wasn't high enough for a college graduate, seasonal and didn't know when the project would end or if you would get the bonus that week. There appeared to be no reason why certain people rose in the company. In addition, there was no reason why certain people were called back to do projects and others were not. They are scheduling projects tightly together so that they don't need people for as long as they used to and not getting other projects to make up for it, so it appears in the near future they will not be hiring as many people as in the past for a shorter amount of time. It is a job for someone in between jobs.

Treat your employees with more respect. Give them more feedback on their performance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graded essay exams.

Former Employee - Reader  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Reader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

Decent place for seasonal employment, especially between job transitions or post-retirement. Good place for meeting people who have worked in all sectors.

Cons

Low pay with meager benefits, monotonous work.

Compensation was on the low side and benefits were substantially lacking. Work was extremely monotonous and readers were often treated with little respect.

There used to be a good company for seasonal work but it has gone downhill.

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

It's pretty cut and dry what you do. You are trained to score tests all day and are told how to grade them.

Cons

It's kind of like working in a factory but instead of making widgets you are grading tests. They used to be concerned about accuracy as well as production but now all they care about is production. Management is very secretive about things and people get placed on projects or promoted due to favoritism or that they are friends with a certain person. Projects now over-lap so you don't get as much work as you used to. Sometimes they will tell you that you are working "overtime" but then end the project early so you actually don't make as much money as you think you are going to make. Work is extremely monotonous. You are grading the same question all day long for weeks and it's extremely tiring reading long bad answers all day.

Be honest with your employees and let them know what is going on. Assign people to projects and promote people based on merit, not favoritism.

Poorly run, lack of tools and updated software to get the job done

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

There are some amazing people that work for this company

Cons

Below average salary, very top heavy, promote work life balance than don't follow through. Very poor management and poorly run. They are losing major contracts for good reason.

N/A they don't listen anyway

Nice people to work with, but management not that great

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

DRC is transitioning to online testing, they are trying to use a lot of new technologies and shift to open source area.

Cons

they don't have right people to work on it especially the management team. The management team doesn't have great experience to manage new software development and they don't know what they have and they are also not good at to place right people into the right spot.

Senior management need to find qualified people to manage software development.

This used to be a really great company to work for.

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

They provide great benefits although they seem to be par for the industry. The people that work there are very interesting and fun to work with.

Cons

There is way to much nepotism and a very unbalanced pay scale. The company has had a number of layoffs as of late.

Don't keep people or pay them more just because they are relatives or friends of friends and relatives. Also, do more research before investing in a product that no one wants or that can't compete with the industry.

Two different pictures for this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sharonville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sharonville, OH

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation part-time

Pros

The day-to-day work with other seasonal employees is great. Opportunity to make some good friends while bringing home a small paycheck every now and then. For the most part it's a low-stress work environment. You have the chance to put in a good day's work and yet not take work home with you.

Cons

There's been a definite trend the last few years of the full-time management disregarding how their business practices affect its seasonal employee work force, and the expectations are rather unilateral. They want you to commit to working a project til it's completion and yet, in the last couple years, most projects are ending way earlier than what they say they will. In the last year, management has even begun sending people home mid-week due to poor planning on its part, or perhaps for hidden ulterior motives. There are more and more examples of them bringing employees in to work for x-number of weeks and then employees getting one or two days here and one or two days of work there. The problem with this is that many employees are turning down other possible job opportunities with the expectation they will receive 35 or so hours/week (830-4pm) only to get piece meal work from DRC. Not to mention people skip vacations, doctor visits, etc. in order to be at work, only to be sent right back home because there is no work that day or week.

If thinking about working here, definitely think twice, especially if you have other options. The job and the potential pay for seasonal employment looks attractive on paper and in the interview, but it's a different story in real life. A project they say will last 3 weeks may in fact end a week early and if they have not planned properly, you may come in one day at 830 only to be sent back home by noon, or worse, told that you will not be working for the next 1 or 2 days at all. If an apology and a thanks is all you require to be okay with being jerked around like that, DRC is your place to work.

This is definitely an employers' job market right now, and DRC seems to be using that to its full advantage.

Decisions made in your office affect real people with real lives, real bills, real expectations. You have a loyal seasonal workforce, but you are using up your goodwill with how you are treating us with the business decisions you are making. When you give people a 15 minute notice that they are being sent home for the rest of the week because there is no more work (for whatever reason), you are showing you don't care that some of us turned down other job opportunities, or passed on vacations or delayed doctor visits in order to commit to working on a project.....with the expectation of getting work. I have seen decisions made by your management all just to save 8 dollars/reader even though we were coming in for partial work weeks (and that's not what the commitment is on the project reminder cards) to complete a project by your deadline. "Thank you for your hard work" and "Thank you for your patience on this difficult project" comments are abundant from the full-time management, but words are cheap. The actual decisions that you are making and how they affect your work force's day-to-day lives are what make a real impact. Currently, they are perceived as quite negative. More and more your seasonal employees are feeling like mushrooms and that management wants us to feel and know that we are all very easily replaced. You are doing a good job of communicating it.

Worked to death with no rewards

Former Employee - Systems Administrative  in  Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow peers were a blast to work with, decent end of year bonus, not micro-managed

Cons

I had a lot of responsibility and cared a great deal about the success of my departments, but I didn't have enough people on my team to get the job done so I ended up working 6-7 days a week for over 3 years. I worked in the office during the day and worked from home at night because there were things that needed to be done that couldn't be done when folks were in the office working (I was in IT). The president of the company has no regard for employees who are outside of the "good ol' boys" network (I.e. a small group of executives and upper management). My boss tried to get me a raise for over 2 years because he knew how hard I worked, but the president wouldn't approve one because, as my boss told me, she really doesn't care. There have been 8 other people on my team there who have quit in the last 9 months, and 2 more are currently looking. Advice: ok company to work for as a contract employee, but beware of upper management and the president if you want to be a permanent employee. I saw many other peers who were slaves to their jobs and were not compensated financially or with flex time. I had to cancel 2 vacations last year due to work; I thought slavery was abolished a long time ago!

If you truly care about your employees, show them by paying them what they are worth and trusting their managers to give them raises as they see fit. The president has no idea how people are performing, so why does she have to approve the raises? Put trust in the direct managers. CIO is incredibly controlling and not approachable, and has caused a lot of frustration among a lot of people with his wishy washy directives. CIO, make a stand and lead the company. Don't be mean to your subordinates and change your directives in the middle of projects.

Worked for Data Recognition Corporation? Contribute to the Community!