DataDirect Networks

www.ddn.com

DataDirect Networks Reviews

Updated May 9, 2014
DataDirect Networks – US – “front lawn”

DataDirect Networks Co-Founder & CEO Alex Bouzari

Alex Bouzari

DDN is at the center of the next IT revolution. Drinking from a fire hose and loving it!

ProsInnovative, running at a hundred miles a minute, at the forefront of object technology and big data. Amazing customers doing things one can't even imagine using DDN's products. This company is on to something really big

ConsNot a 9 to 5 place! If you are used to well defined structure and organization and lots of infrastructure to surround you, you will probably have a hard time

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture your people. YOu are starting to do it, keep at it. You have some of the smartest people in the industry. Help them grow, empower them and you'll be amazed at the results

Huge Potential but needs Vision

ProsGreat Technology, great people and management in the field.
    Great can do, execution environment.
    Amazing customers and references.

ConsFounders, company values. All foot soldiers and generals and expendable.
    It's all about the $ today. Never Strategic. No Partner system.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrity, honesty should be the two factors you live by

Nightmare. I don't believe in the leadership, they look full of it to me.

IPO COMIN BS (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prossome great people around there but a few school yard bullies too from the old school, nasty and self obsessed.

Consall about the private founders, and making them money. I think the Techies seen as low class. Sales seen as SFDC robots. Never hear about people investment or charity or community stuff. Ask people that left about product quality, support, service, functionality, working life...see what they say.

Advice to Senior Managementsell and be done or invest for the longer term. You nickel and dime to death and it cant work. also get some IP, stop mostly just assembling other company components.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management sucks

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood coworkers
    Good work - life balance

ConsMicro management.
    Lots of mistrust between managers and engineers.
    Very unprofessional attitude of some managers (it depends on who you get stuck with)
    No long term, short term concrete goals for the company, or individual
    Not much appreciation of work.
    Work as described during interview and in reality is miles apart.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to start getting manager reviews from the employees.

Lost its focus, Challenging Outlook

Sales (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsVery good technology. They are strong systems integrators for HPC applications and parallel file systems.

ConsSales have stalled. The HPC market, which is so dependent on government funding is declining. The companies ability to penetrate more profitable, commercial markets has been unsuccessful.

Rampant turnover leads to poor morale and declining customer satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek new management with growth potential. Develop a strategy and execute a plan. communicate more effectively. Focus on consistency!

Reached a Strategic Inflection Point

ProsGreat technology, great people to work with in the trenches. The employees are some of the most intelligent I've ever worked with in the IT industry. The storage technology is reliable, scalable and stable.

ConsCompany is not able to effectively execute on its strategic vision. Senior Management is inexperienced in many ways with managing a growing enterprise. Their message is not consistent. It is a chaotic place to work at times. Lack of consistency in messaging hurts employee morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace C-Level Management with people who know how to grow and run a business. Get out of the way and let the company grow into the enterprise space. HPC is too small a market to focus on.

DDN lost its way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthey hired some great talent in 20212, people in Sunnyvale and Chatsworth are fun to work with, great products

Consproduct quality makes the field suffer, work crazy hours
    parts often arrive either missing, wrong parts etc, making field even suffer more
    executive management don't care about their employees
    latest layoff will make morale even lower

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to take a close look in the mirror and see what they can change to themselves. Some of the longtimers are actually the very reason why the company cannot grow

DDN has derailed and is crashing soon.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsIntelligent and dedicated engineering force

ConsManagement lacks coherent focus and message to DDN sales and engineering teams
    C-level suite pontificates about product releases and alliances that do not materialize and leave company working backwards
    Internal communication completely broken and hostile

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out the C-level suite and start building from scratch. HPC storage is only a market sliver and you do not have products to compete in the enterprise.

Not as fun as could be

ProsHome office and flexible schedule
    Still small and relatively easy to move sideways
    It's not a public company (even though a lot of rumors of being structured for a possible IPO soon).
    Focused product line
    Good talented people working in different areas of the company

ConsProduct is not attractive anymore, as used to be in the past. Lack of products and competitiveness
    Lack of people management. Managers are sometimes too technical and in most of the case doesn't really care about their employees in several aspects other than employee's job role.
    Management are too young and lack experience
    Some of Higher management (VP level) not qualified
    Decisions are taken in a very chaotic environment. Most of them leaded by incompetent higher management and unrealistic thoughts from people with none or few field experience
    Very low investment on labs and

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your employees happiness. Make them proud and rate their effort and not only the results.
    Focus on the macro aspect of the business and empower the employees. Give them a chance to manage their business.
    Don't under estimate the competition and face the reality of not being the leader anymore.
    Learn with your competition and trust your employee's feedback.

This is the greatest company in the exciting space of Big Data and Cloud!

ProsGreat coworkers, smart and passionate. Fast growth in a booming market. We solve the most amazing problems for our customers, from helping find new drugs to cure diseases, delivering services and movies into the cloud to millions of people, to predicting the weather, speeding up scientific discovery across many fields, making the world a better and safer place

ConsWe are adding many new people and offices in different cities and countries, keeping track of who does what is at times challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on the great market opportunity, and engage with employees to get very valuable feedback. The last few months have been great!

Worked for DataDirect Networks? Contribute to the Community!