DataDirect Networks

2.9

DataDirect Networks Co-Founder & CEO Alex Bouzari
Alex Bouzari

New Day Every Day

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want monotony and a 9-5 this certainly isn’t the place! I like to learn something new every day and get creative with the job given me and have been able to do that at DDN. It moves super fast. Shifting project priorities. Culture promotes idea generation and ownership. Autonomous yet collaborative. Great people and energy. Definitely an exciting place to work.

Cons

Moving fast and shifting priorities simultaneously can be challenging. Got to learn to roll with it. Sometimes the asks are unrealistic and you’re not given enough time implementation success.

Leadership team is super smart, creative and highly respected. And such passion for what we do and what we want to accomplish. Trust in us. Let the details go. We will succeed beyond your expectations.

Back on track

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they seem to be back on track with a lot of vertical markets
    - growth opportunities

Cons

- lack of proper training
    - bonus plan not competitive enough

Flexible company for flexible people

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a global company, there is work to be done 24 hours a day. The company itself embraces this with great education opportunities as well as global meetings to introduce new technologies and updates multiple times a month.

There are times in support you'll need to work extra, during emergencies, and other times when there is little work to be done, giving time for education.

Cons

The lack of structure can cause great hurdles to people who can't deal with self/little to no management. My team is spread across the country, which makes it difficult to meet others and stay in contact.

Internal applications are somewhat lacking in their efficiency. The support request system is very difficult to navigate, self signed certificates and out of date Java applications make things even more troublesome, meaning most work gets done via email.

Improve intranet site for compatibility between OS platforms (mobile + browser).
    Try not to be so busy you can't speak with your employees.
    Streamline New-Hire process to ensure they receive the proper training and documentation on benefits/reimbursement/vacation requests. Too much documentation is a problem, as is not enough documentation.

Breath of fresh air

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team and talent, good collaboration and communication, and exposure to huge environments.

Cons

Working with distributed teams could take time getting used to.

Nice place to work

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Although you are expected to work hard and get the job done, we also have fun. DDN provides lunch for the staff on pay days, gourmet food trucks to celebrate successful quarter ends, ping pong tables, arcade machines, basketball, trainers for workouts and yoga, remodeled offices.. So yes, we are expected to put in a full days work, we are appreciated for that dedication. DDN offers excellent benefits, 401k matching, 11 paid holidays. We also have frequent training at beautiful offsite locations, Presidents Club, etc. The people who work at DDN are hard working, dedicated individuals who believe in the company and the product.

Cons

Sometimes the owners get in the way of what needs to be done causing conflict within the ranks which can be demotivating. . Could improve on the 401k match.

Get out of the way and let your experts get the job done.

Potential..... Yes! Execution ---- No! Future.... uncertain?

Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer/Sales Engineer in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer/Sales Engineer in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Considered a leader in the HPC and BigData storage space. The exponential market growth should make them well positioned! They have some very smart people in sales, engineering, and support. Most employees do what it take to get the job done and have a BIG HEART!

Cons

Turnover is beyond unacceptable. Everyone comes and goes from senior management (COO, President(s), CFO, Legal, Sales Management, and > 70% in sales and systems engineering positions). The average tenure in customer facing positions is well below the industry average. The high turnover and LEAN operating culture results in a very stressful and reactive environment with somewhat unprofessional management behavior. Employees are not valued nor respected in comparison to other technology firms.

They have tried multiple times to go IPO or be acquired without success. Their impression of the company's valuation does not come close to the market's perception.

When you combine the internal strife with the rapidly changing market dynamics from OpenStack, software defined storage, and cloud computing companies.... This is no longer a growth company. It is a lifestyle company for the sole benefit of the CEO and president/ founder.

As log as you understand the pluses (strong technology) and minuses (Turnover, Limited growth) it is an acceptable place to work.

You need an outside investor with capital and a vision to take the company to the next level. There is nothing wrong with asking for help!

can't believe they are still alive

I worked at DataDirect Networks

Pros

cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap

Cons

management at the very top level is driving a bunch of good people into the ground

Stop it

take a long vacation

Huge Potential but needs Vision

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time

Pros

Great Technology, great people and management in the field.
    Great can do, execution environment.
    Amazing customers and references.

Cons

Founders, company values. All foot soldiers and generals and expendable.
    It's all about the $ today. Never Strategic. No Partner system.

Integrity, honesty should be the two factors you live by

DDN is at the center of the next IT revolution. Drinking from a fire hose and loving it!

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time

Pros

Innovative, running at a hundred miles a minute, at the forefront of object technology and big data. Amazing customers doing things one can't even imagine using DDN's products. This company is on to something really big

Cons

Not a 9 to 5 place! If you are used to well defined structure and organization and lots of infrastructure to surround you, you will probably have a hard time

Nurture your people. YOu are starting to do it, keep at it. You have some of the smartest people in the industry. Help them grow, empower them and you'll be amazed at the results

Nightmare. I don't believe in the leadership, they look full of it to me.

Former Employee - IPO COMIN BS in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - IPO COMIN BS in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some great people around there but a few school yard bullies too from the old school, nasty and self obsessed.

Cons

all about the private founders, and making them money. I think the Techies seen as low class. Sales seen as SFDC robots. Never hear about people investment or charity or community stuff. Ask people that left about product quality, support, service, functionality, working life...see what they say.

sell and be done or invest for the longer term. You nickel and dime to death and it cant work. also get some IP, stop mostly just assembling other company components.

DataDirect Networks Photos