DataDirect Networks

Updated January 30, 2015
3.3

DataDirect Networks Co-Founder & CEO Alex Bouzari
Alex Bouzari

Changing culture for the better

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company on a positive uptick, management is involved in the day to day and steering the company in a great direction

Cons

Company very focused on HPC and parallel computing, doing very well in that industry and does not have a great enterprise offering

While focusing on continued leadership in the HPC and parallel computing, DDN needs an Enterprise offering

Great Company Culture!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at DataDirect Networks

Pros

Great team culture. Growing and on the right path forward. Technology and roadmap are first rate- set to dominate the market in less than 2 years. Already dominating HPC.

Cons

Pretty demanding sales machine. Senior leadership is very growth focused and diligent about qualifying opportunities and validating pipeline. I guess these are not really so much cons, just something to be aware of if you are looking at a sales role and are not experienced in a high growth sales org.

Keep focus. Its good to be flexible to market needs but these things should not impact our technology development schedule.

The Best and Smartest Company

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at DataDirect Networks

Pros

Smart company all around from their Leadership, Employees and Technology. The culture is very energetic, fast paced, fun and empathetic/caring. Beyond their team, they have the best tools, resources and processes. The employees are valued, trusted and everyone works as team. DataDirect Networks runs a very tight ship, I have never experienced anything like it. They compensate their employees very good and have great benifit with extended paid holiday time off for employees to be with our families. The CEO and President will also go above and beyond in acknowledging all their 600 plus employees. DataDirect Networks is a fast growing company, they are the leaders in Big Data Storage and it's an honor to be among this great company in what they are accomplishing and stand for.

Cons

DataDirect Networks is a high tech company and there was a lot to learn, so it was a little intimidating at first, but they have world class training and it's important to stay up to date in taking advantage of all their training resources beyond what is required to always be learning. Not really a con, but just some wisdom for future employees.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Market leaders in HPC, Life Sciences, Financial Services, Oil&Gas or any research requiring large I/O or large capacity Excellent with customers when you find the right field, SE's are very knowledgable and probably the best in the field.
    Great people, great management and on top of it very competitive compensation.

Cons

Marketing team is great, but could be more impactful, if they had more resources.

Keep promoting what DDN does best more publicly!!

Thought leading technology, flexible work schedule, a place to flourish and always be challenged

Current Employee - Business Development in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataDirect Networks

Pros

DDN is a place to take your career to the next level. Opportunities abound and the invention culture in the company is without compare. I am allowed to be involved in any project that interests me and where I can make a difference. The opportunity to work from home from time to time is embraced and opportunities for travel and to work directly with customers are easily come by.

Cons

The culture is very high intensity, results driven. Some people find the constant push for results to be very stressful.

Reward and recognize top performers heavily. Listen to team members when concerns about the organization's ability to scale and produce results is getting fragile. Invest in more good people to support the goals of the company.

DDN is at the center of the next IT revolution. Drinking from a fire hose and loving it!

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time

Pros

Innovative, running at a hundred miles a minute, at the forefront of object technology and big data. Amazing customers doing things one can't even imagine using DDN's products. This company is on to something really big

Cons

Not a 9 to 5 place! If you are used to well defined structure and organization and lots of infrastructure to surround you, you will probably have a hard time

Nurture your people. YOu are starting to do it, keep at it. You have some of the smartest people in the industry. Help them grow, empower them and you'll be amazed at the results

This is the greatest company in the exciting space of Big Data and Cloud!

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, smart and passionate. Fast growth in a booming market. We solve the most amazing problems for our customers, from helping find new drugs to cure diseases, delivering services and movies into the cloud to millions of people, to predicting the weather, speeding up scientific discovery across many fields, making the world a better and safer place

Cons

We are adding many new people and offices in different cities and countries, keeping track of who does what is at times challenging

Stay focused on the great market opportunity, and engage with employees to get very valuable feedback. The last few months have been great!

A rapidly growing, highly entrepreneurial manufacturer of super-scalable storage systems and solutions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

DDN is focused on building stuff and it is still run by the founders. Those two things makes DDN highly entrepreneurial and an exciting place to work.

We're currently making the transition from a small business in the $125 million range with 300 employees and mostly US market coverage (two years ago) to twice that revenue, twice the number of employees, and worldwide coverage (today). Despite the Great Recession of the past four years, we're growing at 25% per year in revenue and have healthy profit margins as well. Best of all, the company makes something -- extremely large-scale storage hardware and solutions -- that our increasingly digital world desperately needs and wants. We have innovative technologies that have been perfected in the field for up to ten years, and in an age of patent trolls, we are well protected by solid technology patents. What that means to you is this: the company is healthy and your paycheck is as reliable as one could possibly expect in the the modern world of at-will employment. So, if you're the kind of person who thrives on change, you'd enjoy DDN.

In terms of culture, the single largest segment of our management comes from HP -- and they speak fondly of the old HP, the entrepreneurial HP that loved to build things, not the new HP that loved to gimmick the stock price and just laid off 17,000 employees. As I read the tea leaves, the new management, with the blessing of the founders, wants to make DDN over into a new, improved HP. Your own feelings about the old and new HP will tell you whether or not that's a good fit for you.

In terms of employee compensation and benefits, the pay is competitive but not excessive. Support personnel can choose to work on salary or hourly, depending on whether they want to get paid lots of money for overtime. There are quarterly or annual employee bonuses as well, even for non-sales rank and file. Benefits are competitive with Silicon Valley -- there are medical, dental, and vision insurance plans, FSA plans, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and a 401k plan with a 50% employer match for the first $3,000 contributed each year. And every employee gets stock options.

Cons

Although a fun place to work, DDN is also a chaotic place to work, because we're growing so fast and have so many new employees, including new managers. The right hand often doesn't know what the left hand is doing. BUT we're in the process of fixing that. If you prefer orderly systems and processes, wait a year or two. We're working on those to make the company scalable to the billion-dollar-plus range, but we're not there yet. However, those who want to BUILD those new systems processes should come on board now. There's company-building opportunity here.

Management made the right call in switching Oracle implementation vendors. I'm already seeing results there. Management should also continue the its open disclosure practices in its quarterly Town Hall meetings. Those are helpful to everyone to understand where we're going.

There's a too much one-off decision making at a tactical level that gets reversed the next day or the next week without explanation. Tactical change is always better than sticking with a bad idea. But it would be better still to think and communicate on two levels -- strategically and tactically -- at the same time. Communicate the GOAL as well as the tactical project. That way, if the tactics change but the goal does not, we can all feel like like we're still pushing in the same general direction and not changing course all the time. Constant tactical churn is confusing some valuable long-term employees.

Gratifying, exciting, going places, fastest growing space in technology

I have been working at DataDirect Networks

Pros

Great people: smart, dedicated and hard working. Best place in technology: Cloud and Big Data

Cons

Structure is being put in place but it's not there yet

Empower employees. You've started doing it. It's great. Stay the course

Great place to work in technology

I have been working at DataDirect Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pasted, never boring, always feel like you are making a difference

Cons

Need more good employees. Lots of open positions

Keep up the great work!