DataSphere Technologies

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Satbir Khanuja

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Datasphere Experience

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat training program, excellent work life balance, encouraging team work environment, etc.

ConsNo real cons to speak of. Great Company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be nice to maybe have some ongoing career development and training as you progress in your time at the company. Overall great place to learn sales and start your career! Also would be good to have more clearly defined career paths that you can head into after learning the fundamentals of sales and exceeding objectives.

Account Executive

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone was helpful, managers were open to working with you, and the office environment stays casual which keeps everyone pretty loose. Potential for a lot of commission to be made.

ConsBasically one job duty... calling random companies. No working with clients once deals are closed. Minimal information and metrics/data about the product that you are selling, mostly because its not very good. Basically forced to sell a product while having to be quite vague. Sales staff and trainers often give contradicting advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork closely with employees to find something that works for them and try to limit contradicting advice.

Love this place!!

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsThis was my first sales job and I loved every minute of it. It was great to leave the long, weekend hours of my old job and join DataSphere. Working Monday-Friday from 7-4 was great.

The commissions structure is solid and rewarding. The sales are made in one month & immediately paid the next month by mid-month. It's very easy to earn good money much faster than other companies. Also, the majority of people hit goal & earn good commissions checks. As top sales person, I earned extra bonuses. Also, if you get a cancellation, you get to keep 40% of your commissions.

Markets and types of Customers aren't limited for you by management. It's great to find your own niche.

Lots of opportunities to advance your career. 100% of the sales managers have been promoted from the sales roles at datasphere. People also leave sales and going into other departments too.

Free company lunches, contests, tickets to Seahawks games, iPads, and more. President club was fun & in Vegas!!

ConsThe base salary is low... Very low. You definitely need to earn commission to survive. It also never goes up. No raises ever!!

Some managers aren't doing their job.... Not helping their new employees learn to sell. Manager roles seem pretty slack here.

Turnover feels high.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider giving raises or promotions with a sales role. Keep your hardworkers longer.

Cold Call

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsRelaxed work environment. Freedom to do what you think is best to get the job done. Co-workers are looking out for each other and provide insight on how to sell better.

ConsNo training for management to help account executives. Only a few great managers. Can feel a little a little micromanaged. Some systems in place are not used fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be an anonymous reviews for managers so they can be more effective leaders instead of saying the same things over and over again

Forward Thinking Company - Always Training, Changing, and Challenging norms

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsManagement is focused and driven to help you succeed and the environment is relaxed to inspire creative activity. The energy is high and the senior account executives are some of the smartest, driven people I have ever met.

ConsThe Marketing is okay, and it is developing. I think they understand that the product is a little weak.The only value you really have to sell with is the partnership with the News Stations. "Calling on behalf of King5" opens a lot of doors. That's it though. If you found a business owner that was egotistical enough to overlook the flatness of the product and the weak ROI - winner winner chicken dinner.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelopment Team - Create more depth in this product. Your structure and leadership is right. I think the next step would be to start specializing to more industries than just Real Estate. If you did that more, you would have more of the success you see in LandWatch. This is too great of a company to dissolve due to failing appeal.

Sales Managers: Keep rocking it! You are all my Heroes.

HORROR

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent co workers, good location.

ConsEntire company is an illusion designed to line the pockets of the few.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

Cold calling, high pressure telemarketing sales

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros- work/life balance
- casual dress code
- fun co-workers
-free lunch once a month (either pizza or sandwiches)

Cons- Product is very weak; there's a reason the ad packages are cheap; videos and ads are sloppily put together and placed on the news stations website; ads are hard to finds since people must go through several steps in order to see the spot; prices are just created randomly and have nothing to do with the amount of potential outreach;product does not sell itself; there's a reason customer churn is so high
- Potential customers are misled, many salespeople have no hesitation giving information that's not entirely true (geo-targeting, launch, exclusivity, SEO benefits, etc.), just to get the sale; management turns a blind eye
-"Don't let them get off the phone until you have their credit card digits and they sign the contract. If they don't want to sign, tell them you have someone one else waiting to buy it." -- That's the mentality at DataSphere
- Only about 20-25 percent of people receive a commission check (if you hit 100 percent of quota); the rest make $15.62 per hour (before taxes) and pretty much wait to get fired or find another job (it's really hourly, even though they claim it's a salaried position, so keep that in mind)
- Workplace is extremely loud; at any given time you'll hear at least four different songs blasting through the radio and people yelling. It's fun at first, but gets old very quickly
- A lot of the managers are not trained to be managers; only job I've ever had where my manager just walks around, talks it up with other managers, surfs the web, and once in a while barge in on a call to supposedly help you (without even listening to the call from the beginning)
- Advancement is limited (if you make quota); promotion to the next level consists of business cards, a slight bump in pay and new chair
- Extremely high employee turn over; if managers like you, they'll try to keep you even if you don't hit quota, but that only buys you an extra month or two. If they don't like you very much and you don't hit quota, you'll be done in a few months
-Benefits are a joke

Advice to Senior Management- Hire managers with management and leadership qualities
- HR needs to be identify candidates who have the opportunity to in this field succeed. Stop going with the "see if it sticks method"

A fun and at times equally frustrating place to work

Non-Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time

Pros-Young, energetic workforce helps promote a fun atmosphere
-Casual attire
-Provided you can perform your job/hit your metrics/meet any set expectations, you can get away with a lot
-Fairly easy to transfer to a different department and possibly change the course of your own career
-Honestly met some of the most interesting, funny people here in my life.

Cons-Working with a lot of other 20-somethings also means "often loud and downright obnoxious workspaces"
-Most of the customer-facing/servicing positions are basically entry-level in terms of qualifications, work detail and pay, so you can get bored and demotivated quickly if you're truly skilled.
-Micromanagement is rampant; most departments require their employees to adhere to strict schedules
-Opportunities for advancement w/in specific departments is a bit limited. Most people "advance" by outright transferring to another department; otherwise, if you're interested in developing your career w/in a specific field or skill set, it might not happen there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the reins and treat everyone like adults. I've seen many talented employees stifled while less-deserving ones skate by for too long because the babysitting that masquerades as "managing" in some circles only serves to unnecessarily level the playing field.

Free lunches and the occasional party is cool and all, but I'd trade most if not all of that for more flex scheduling, less micromanagement, and other examples of trust being placed in us which can help mitigate any dissatisfaction in pay and instill more loyalty among the employees.

Love coworkers - lacking love with executive and managers

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of great people. Relaxed environment. 40 hour work week. No nights, no weekends. No dress code. Sales is sales. Make dials, make money. Not easy, but if you put in the effort you can make goal, about 50% of sales make money. 10 to 20%, make more than 60k. 15 vacation days

ConsExecs/managers don't care about anyone but there favorites. No respect or reward for hard work. Benefits are the worst. Very few long tenured employees with the company. Not impressed with base pay, but everyone is very underpaid. Best place to work is not true.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect people and stop being cheap.

Account Executive Exerience

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsI was able to meet some good people which will definitely help with networking going forth in my career. The place is revolving door with people coming and going constantly. This isn't good for the company does help with meeting many new people.

ConsWork is extremely repetitive and unrewarding. Their advertising product isn't very strong which makes you feel bad when people purchase it and put their faith in you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better product that sales people can get behind.

Worked for DataSphere Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

DataSphere Technologies – Why Work for Us?

About Us DataSphere is one of the fastest-growing hyperlocal marketing companies in the US. We help local businesses across the country raise their visibility, convert more customers, and gain a competitive edge… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DataSphere Technologies reviews and ratings in Bellevue, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DataSphere Technologies CEO Satbir Khanuja . All 34 reviews posted anonymously by DataSphere Technologies employees.