DataSphere Technologies
datasphere.com Bellevue, WA 150 to 499 Employees

DataSphere Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Satbir Khanuja

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is better than any company I know"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great training program, excellent work life balance, encouraging team work environment, etc"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely low base salary with decent commission structure as comparable to the salary"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Felt more like a pet project to fill the pockets of upper management than an actual business"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Terrible product that is being sold to people who don't know nay better, and managers who are incompetent.

(Former Employee)

ProsWell the job is easy so i can't complain, a monkey could do this.

ConsWhere does one start? (This is within a non-sales department)

- Anyone who is manager or a lead, has been solely promoted because they've been here long enough or sucked up. The people who are in these positions have ZERO people management skills, and most of the time don't know what they're doing (successful way to build a company)
    - the pay is a JOKE. any other real company pays at least $10,000 or more for the same position
    - again the team leads or managers like to re-assign work to other people because they themselves do not want to deal with clients
    - there is absolutely zero professional growth here, you will not learn much after a month or so
    - The benefits are a joke, you're better off not having insurance because it's basically catastrophic insurance
    -The turnover is so horrible, every month there's a contest with an incentive if you refer people who get hired, pathetic. maybe invest that money into your people's salaries so you won't have this high of a turnover.
    - The products are sold to people who don't know any better, it's a crappy product and everyone knows it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people just because they've been here long enough. The people who are managing have zero skills. maybe do some market research while you're at it too- the salaries are a joke, and you all know this.

Love my job

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsWork-life balance
    Great coworkers
    Plenty of paid time off
    High Commission potential

ConsVery low base salary
    Communication disconnect between departments, sales/ad creation department. I've lost a few sales due to their focus on how quickly they can finish a customers order instead of taking the time to work with the customer to make it right the first time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe base pay is the lowest in the industry. It would be awesome if it was raised after your 1 year anniversary.

Boiler Room with prizes

Sales (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsFun environment. Fast paced and there are always sales dropping. Should meet some good people. The management from Washington had bright and intelligent sales minds. Easy one call sales so a shorter sales process. Good if you are in between jobs. Easy ramp up period for new hires.

ConsHired unqualified leadership. Those who didn't perform were ignored. You could go a day without a sale and you were looked down upon. Pay is low compared to the Washington location. Be ready for tons of change constantly. Very entry level sales. Tons of pressure that mounts up quickly. Do not call sales are abundant. Lots of cancels ...

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow your potential stars to roam unattended. They will find work elsewhere.

Flag Review
    DataSphere Technologies HR responded to this review Jul 2, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to offer a base salary plus an uncapped commission plan that rewards our Account Executives who meet or exceed their monthly sales quota. The majority of ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company benefits, relaxed work environment, parties every month, no overtime as they stress work life balance. Fun atmosphere.

ConsTraining is a joke. My dept (won't mention), there is no formal training. "Here's your computer, log on, get yourself familiar with the programs, ask questions" No real guidance, structure, too very laid back. Expects you to succeed with barely any support.

I've had worse jobs

Customer Success Advisor (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsMonday-Friday work schedule, casual dress code, fun people, fun parties, easy to get hired on, good location, no taking work home with you.

ConsLow pay in an expensive part of town. Terrible benefits. High turnover. Focus is definitely not on those in non sales positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on compensation for non sales positions.

Terrible Management, Poor Pay, Stay Away!

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

Pros-Young staff (20's-30's) which makes for a more fun, youthful environment
    -Great music playing, keeps you motivated in a mundane, repetitive job
    -Cool, relaxed environment

ConsThere are quite a few of them.....where to begin?
    -Managers are not managers...they are salespeople who were promoted based on having high sales. Just because you can sell a product well doesn't mean you can effectively manage people.
    -There is a LOT of different radios and music playing and cheering can get incessant. It was fun at first, but it gets extremely obnoxious when you're trying to focus on a call.
    -Hung up on CONSTANTLY...lowers morale very quickly.
    -Expected to put in at least 100 calls a day, or 6 hours of "talk time"
    -The product is really crappy...it's advertising on the customers' local news station's website...down the page quite a bit, rotating with quite a few other businesses
    -Pay is VERY low...they tell you it's a salaried position, but it's not. You get paid about $14/hour after taxes, which in Seattle's cost of living is more like $9/hour. Most of my coworkers, even in their thirties, are living with roommates because they cannot afford to live based on the lack of salary.
    -You only receive commission if you hit your quota. You can be $1 away and not get a commission check!

My personal story: I quit Datasphere because my husband was transferred jobs across the country. I was never paid my commission check (of about $1200) because I moved before working there 90 days. Supposedly it was spelled out in my employee handbook, but I could never see where it stated that. I would have hired a lawyer, but $1200 isn't worth it after considering legal fees! Very unfair...especially since it wasn't my decision to quit; my husband was getting transferred! There was really no choice on my part. I would have quit eventually though!) Also, my manager cussed at me and made me feel threatened quite often. The only time anything was ever done about it was when I went to HR. Even then it always felt awkward. I was glad to get out of there!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to promote successful salespeople as managers, make sure that you train them on how to be effective managers. Just because you can sell doesn't mean you can manage others and train them well.

Young adult babysitting

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsEasy product to sell since management pushes for misrepresentation. Decent for a first job.

ConsHorrible product that doesn't work for any clients. Poor customer retention. Totally unprofessional work environment. Extremely low base salary with decent commission structure as comparable to the salary. Micro managing to the point where it's almost like a young adult daycare. Clueless upper management on tech side.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the "targeting" on your product and deliver something close to what your sales force pushes. It's a good idea with no follow through.

No money here....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat people, relaxed atmosphere, ping pong tables, kegs of beer, poker for prizes, etc

ConsBase salary is low and the average cost of an ad to place is very low and the commission is not great so you make no money here. Required to make 40 calls a day. Extremely high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest some time doing this job yourself so you see what your employees are going through and realize that you need to be able to provide results and pay your people more.

Datasphere Experience

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat training program, excellent work life balance, encouraging team work environment, etc.

ConsNo real cons to speak of. Great Company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be nice to maybe have some ongoing career development and training as you progress in your time at the company. Overall great place to learn sales and start your career! Also would be good to have more clearly defined career paths that you can head into after learning the fundamentals of sales and exceeding objectives.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsFun work environment, relaxed, decent commission structure

ConsHorrible product, managers do nothing whatsoever

Advice to Senior ManagementMake managers more than just dj's. All they do is read online artlicles and change the music genre once in awhile.. oh and they yell out names of people who make sales that day and give pep talks. They are worthless but it's not their fault.

Worked for DataSphere Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

DataSphere Technologies – Why Work for Us?

About Us DataSphere is one of the fastest-growing hyperlocal marketing companies in the US. We help local businesses across the country raise their visibility, convert more customers, and gain a competitive edge… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DataSphere Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DataSphere Technologies CEO Satbir Khanuja . All 73 reviews posted anonymously by DataSphere Technologies employees.