DataSphere Technologies
datasphere.com Bellevue, WA 150 to 499 Employees

DataSphere Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Satbir Khanuja

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is better than any company I know"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great training program, excellent work life balance, encouraging team work environment, etc"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely low base salary with decent commission structure as comparable to the salary"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Felt more like a pet project to fill the pockets of upper management than an actual business"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The one reason I gave it 2 stars was because I loved the environment and coworkers.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThe overall environment is super fun and everyone that works there is awesome. There are always bells ringing and people chanting when others get sales. That is really the main pro working there- all the amazing friends I made..and the fact its M-F and I was off work everyday at 3pm.

ConsFirst things first is the job itself really is a grind. You are making between 60-100 calls daily and trying to get business owners on the phone without getting hung up on. You are required to make minimum 60 dials and have 2 hours of talk time. After so long the job is mentally draining. Its fun at first because they brainwash you into thinking the product is great and you are going to make thousands upon thousands a month when in reality thats not the case at all. The product itself is crap (which is an online banner ad on news stations websites) the product doesnt work, half the time customers cant see their ad, and are given a crappy low quality video the can be made on Powerpoint. Making your monthly goal was a challenge in itself because once people would realize the product didnt work they would cancel. If a client you had cancels within 6 months they take it out of your paycheck, so even if you have an amazing month and you have a lot of people cancel from prior months your paycheck is going to be crap. The place is run solely on politics. If they dont like you, or if you dont sell a ton then basically going to work is dreadful. Thankfully I didnt have that problem but for the people that werent and didnt sell they dont treat you well. Everything around there is constantly changing from the verticals we can sell, to the commission structure, to the senior ae guidelines..once people actually start making money and finding something that sells well or start hitting their goals the next month they change it and make it higher so more people wont get paid. Ive seen people get up and walk out because they would find a way to take away their commission check. If you made your goal by 1 deal and 2 weeks into the next month that person cancels or card gets declined they will take away your whole commission check from the month prior ( you only get a commission check if you hit 100% of your goal) Ive seen people up and walk out because it happened to them, and it happened on a monthly basis. The turn over rate there is ridiculous. At the end of every month there are handfuls of people that leave, and people that just stop showing up. After being there about 6 months you are already a veteran because most people dont make it to a year mark. Wonder why....

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and stop changing the rules and compensation every month. You supposedly "give us everything to succeed" but yet work against us. Apparently the company isnt doing well if you are unable to afford paying people their commission. Also it would help having a product that actually was beneficial and worked. I feel bad for all the times I actually made people spend their money on such a crappy product.

Do not work for this company

Ad Creation Manager (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsMy co-workers are great! I don't think I would survive this place without them. We are all in the same boat with how much we dislike this place.

ConsWhere do I begin. The management is terrible and I would take the high scores on this site with a grain of salt. It is all about who the favorites are of upper management. How the raises work do not make any sense. If you are the number one performer for several quarters and make less than someone who has been with the company for one quarter, please tell me how that makes any sense??? I would not recommend this company to anyone. The turn over rate is really high and it is obvious they don't care about employees that bring value to their business.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider teaching the department heads leadership skills

Great environment

ProsLoved everything about it. Great way to make money and the work environment makes you want to succeed

ConsThere should be more room for growth and it should be given to people who have shown they can succeed i the company

Advice to Senior ManagementNone! Best managers I have ever had

Flag Review
    DataSphere Technologies HR responded to this review Jul 2, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your positive review! Please feel free to discuss opportunities for growth and development with your manager. If you ever have any other concerns feel free to talk to HR.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This IS a great place to learn!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsI enjoy my job and I have learned how to sell (no real experience in selling to businesses before here). Just got a promotion to senior AE AND salary increase!!

Love my team & co-workers.... although some people don't seem to understand that sales= cold calls & hitting targets. It is a sales job so there are moments when it's stressful and I have to hit sales targets. I expect that OR I wouldn't be in sales (I would go do something more cushy). The good ones work hard and make money-- while others just complain. It's probably because lots of people aren't great hires.

I have learned a lot from my sales manager and he even helps me close deals at times. While I don't plan to stay forever, I will learn all I can & use my experience to get a great position outside of DataSphere.

Lots of people get promoted into management or other jobs- if they want it.

ConsThere are a lot of people hired here that just aren't cut out to be in sales. It wastes the managers' time and energy. By hiring more talented people with better work habits, managers could be spend on the employees that can sell.

Benefits aren't great!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your hiring managers to spot talent better. It would reduce the turnover and probably some complaining too.

Run...don't walk away from this company!!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

Pros-Casual dress code
    -Young and fun environment
    -Uncapped commission
    -Paid time off & Paid holidays
    -Lots of freedom as long as you're selling
    -You can receive a $2 base pay increase as long as you are 140% to goal in 5 consecutive months.

Cons-Low pay ($12/hr with no overtime)
    -One-time pay out of commission. No Residual
    -Product DOES NOT work
    -Sales associates have to (not want to) lie in order to sell the product bc it is so bad
    -Customers cancel within the first 90 days of a 12 month contract bc the product does not work
    -Local news stations are trying to cancel their agreements with Datasphere bc it is untrustworthy
    -No repeat customers (need I say why?)
    -Sales associates call customers "dumb" for signing up.
    -High turnover. 2-10 people leave every month.
    -Management is a joke. Most have drug problems and turn a blind eye to sales associates lying to get deals bc their commission checks depend on our sales.
    -HR doesn't exist here
    -Benefits are expensive and a joke
    -The company finds a way to avoid paying out commissions.
    -20-30% of sales associates actually make goal
    -The company does not care about their employees, only lining their pockets.
    -No growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementYour business model is so poor, you'd be better off firing everyone and starting from scratch or closing your doors entirely.

ON MY WAY OUT!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThe hours are 7am -4pm or 6am -3pm get up early do your job and go home. The team is environment is the best. The sales is easy and not very stressful if you are experienced but if you are not you will struggle. When you make commission at least in my product I sold it was the best. If you manages to stay six months and have high talk time and hit quota another company will head hunt you right out of there with better pay and benefits.

ConsInconsistent policies making Senior AE is a joke. They keep changing the qualifications so lesser people make it. The pay is the lowest in the media & advertising industry and no one stays. There is an inexperienced operations person and most people in the position never worked the position in other companies to give a good outlook. The benefits are the worst and the company meetings are useless.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency, quality and experience in everything you do will make a huge difference in your culture and longevity. Wonder why you have not been on best places to work? Walk around the sales floor and ask!

ugh

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

Prosno additional take home work

Cons-high turn over, management only likes you when/if youre selling
    -didnt feel respected or valued
    -culture and work environment nonexistent.....virtually no off-sites or added perks to working here (every party we had was IN the office...cheap-o's)
    -the product is seriously lacking

Advice to Senior Managementdo something about the turn over rate....make people actually like working there and not just bare it because they are desperate for a job

Terrible product that is being sold to people who don't know nay better, and managers who are incompetent.

(Former Employee)

ProsWell the job is easy so i can't complain, a monkey could do this.

ConsWhere does one start? (This is within a non-sales department)

- Anyone who is manager or a lead, has been solely promoted because they've been here long enough or sucked up. The people who are in these positions have ZERO people management skills, and most of the time don't know what they're doing (successful way to build a company)
    - the pay is a JOKE. any other real company pays at least $10,000 or more for the same position
    - again the team leads or managers like to re-assign work to other people because they themselves do not want to deal with clients
    - there is absolutely zero professional growth here, you will not learn much after a month or so
    - The benefits are a joke, you're better off not having insurance because it's basically catastrophic insurance
    -The turnover is so horrible, every month there's a contest with an incentive if you refer people who get hired, pathetic. maybe invest that money into your people's salaries so you won't have this high of a turnover.
    - The products are sold to people who don't know any better, it's a crappy product and everyone knows it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people just because they've been here long enough. The people who are managing have zero skills. maybe do some market research while you're at it too- the salaries are a joke, and you all know this.

Love it!!!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat work life balance, awesome training program,uncapped commission, positive and fun work environment,holidays off, really nice co workers

ConsReally the only thing I can think of is during training they teach you a specific way of doing things and then you go out on the floor and you hear people who are really successful making sales doing the opposite of what they taught you in training. Slightly inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good vibes and positve attitudes.

Boiler Room with prizes

Sales (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsFun environment. Fast paced and there are always sales dropping. Should meet some good people. The management from Washington had bright and intelligent sales minds. Easy one call sales so a shorter sales process. Good if you are in between jobs. Easy ramp up period for new hires.

ConsHired unqualified leadership. Those who didn't perform were ignored. You could go a day without a sale and you were looked down upon. Pay is low compared to the Washington location. Be ready for tons of change constantly. Very entry level sales. Tons of pressure that mounts up quickly. Do not call sales are abundant. Lots of cancels ...

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow your potential stars to roam unattended. They will find work elsewhere.

Flag Review
    DataSphere Technologies HR responded to this review Jul 2, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to offer a base salary plus an uncapped commission plan that rewards our Account Executives who meet or exceed their monthly sales quota. The majority of ... More

Worked for DataSphere Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

DataSphere Technologies – Why Work for Us?

About Us DataSphere is one of the fastest-growing hyperlocal marketing companies in the US. We help local businesses across the country raise their visibility, convert more customers, and gain a competitive edge… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DataSphere Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DataSphere Technologies CEO Satbir Khanuja . All 74 reviews posted anonymously by DataSphere Technologies employees.