DataSphere Technologies

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014

2.9

Satbir Khanuja

Pros
  • Great training program, excellent work life balance, encouraging team work environment, etc (in 7 reviews)

• Great way to make money and the work environment makes you want to succeed (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • don't expect anything but base salary (which isnt huge (in 6 reviews)

• Felt more like a pet project to fill the pockets of upper management than an actual business (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my job

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Work-life balance
    Great coworkers
    Plenty of paid time off
    High Commission potential

Cons

Very low base salary
    Communication disconnect between departments, sales/ad creation department. I've lost a few sales due to their focus on how quickly they can finish a customers order instead of taking the time to work with the customer to make it right the first time.

The base pay is the lowest in the industry. It would be awesome if it was raised after your 1 year anniversary.

Terrible Management, Poor Pay, Stay Away!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

-Young staff (20's-30's) which makes for a more fun, youthful environment
    -Great music playing, keeps you motivated in a mundane, repetitive job
    -Cool, relaxed environment

Cons

There are quite a few of them.....where to begin?
    -Managers are not managers...they are salespeople who were promoted based on having high sales. Just because you can sell a product well doesn't mean you can effectively manage people.
    -There is a LOT of different radios and music playing and cheering can get incessant. It was fun at first, but it gets extremely obnoxious when you're trying to focus on a call.
    -Hung up on CONSTANTLY...lowers morale very quickly.
    -Expected to put in at least 100 calls a day, or 6 hours of "talk time"
    -The product is really crappy...it's advertising on the customers' local news station's website...down the page quite a bit, rotating with quite a few other businesses
    -Pay is VERY low...they tell you it's a salaried position, but it's not. You get paid about $14/hour after taxes, which in Seattle's cost of living is more like $9/hour. Most of my coworkers, even in their thirties, are living with roommates because they cannot afford to live based on the lack of salary.
    -You only receive commission if you hit your quota. You can be $1 away and not get a commission check!

My personal story: I quit Datasphere because my husband was transferred jobs across the country. I was never paid my commission check (of about $1200) because I moved before working there 90 days. Supposedly it was spelled out in my employee handbook, but I could never see where it stated that. I would have hired a lawyer, but $1200 isn't worth it after considering legal fees! Very unfair...especially since it wasn't my decision to quit; my husband was getting transferred! There was really no choice on my part. I would have quit eventually though!) Also, my manager cussed at me and made me feel threatened quite often. The only time anything was ever done about it was when I went to HR. Even then it always felt awkward. I was glad to get out of there!

If you're going to promote successful salespeople as managers, make sure that you train them on how to be effective managers. Just because you can sell doesn't mean you can manage others and train them well.

I've had worse jobs

Current Employee - Customer Success Advisor  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Advisor in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Monday-Friday work schedule, casual dress code, fun people, fun parties, easy to get hired on, good location, no taking work home with you.

Cons

Low pay in an expensive part of town. Terrible benefits. High turnover. Focus is definitely not on those in non sales positions.

Focus more on compensation for non sales positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Young adult babysitting

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Easy product to sell since management pushes for misrepresentation. Decent for a first job.

Cons

Horrible product that doesn't work for any clients. Poor customer retention. Totally unprofessional work environment. Extremely low base salary with decent commission structure as comparable to the salary. Micro managing to the point where it's almost like a young adult daycare. Clueless upper management on tech side.

Fix the "targeting" on your product and deliver something close to what your sales force pushes. It's a good idea with no follow through.

No money here....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, ping pong tables, kegs of beer, poker for prizes, etc

Cons

Base salary is low and the average cost of an ad to place is very low and the commission is not great so you make no money here. Required to make 40 calls a day. Extremely high turnover.

Invest some time doing this job yourself so you see what your employees are going through and realize that you need to be able to provide results and pay your people more.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Fun work environment, relaxed, decent commission structure

Cons

Horrible product, managers do nothing whatsoever

Make managers more than just dj's. All they do is read online artlicles and change the music genre once in awhile.. oh and they yell out names of people who make sales that day and give pep talks. They are worthless but it's not their fault.

Datasphere Experience

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Great training program, excellent work life balance, encouraging team work environment, etc.

Cons

No real cons to speak of. Great Company.

Would be nice to maybe have some ongoing career development and training as you progress in your time at the company. Overall great place to learn sales and start your career! Also would be good to have more clearly defined career paths that you can head into after learning the fundamentals of sales and exceeding objectives.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Everyone was helpful, managers were open to working with you, and the office environment stays casual which keeps everyone pretty loose. Potential for a lot of commission to be made.

Cons

Basically one job duty... calling random companies. No working with clients once deals are closed. Minimal information and metrics/data about the product that you are selling, mostly because its not very good. Basically forced to sell a product while having to be quite vague. Sales staff and trainers often give contradicting advice.

Work closely with employees to find something that works for them and try to limit contradicting advice.

You can do better.

Pros

It's a job. Co-workers were nice. Can do well in sales...

Cons

Sad attempts to prove respect for employees when there actually was none. Many a corner cut. A major focus on metrics and micromanagement. Felt more like a pet project to fill the pockets of upper management than an actual business. Priorities were clearly centered around sales (which had quite the churn rate by the way) so there's a lot of fast talking and over celebrating going on. Take any five star rating on this site with a big grain of salt.

If the job market wasn't so terrible, Datasphere would not survive. Show some real appreciation for the people that make your company successful. By that I don't mean more referral programs for free Kindle Fires and similar "Incentive" programs, they just come off as desperate. I will give you some credit: It's a smart move hiring people just out of school or without degrees, considering it's likely that they haven't worked at a decent company yet and don't know any better.

Cold Call

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Freedom to do what you think is best to get the job done. Co-workers are looking out for each other and provide insight on how to sell better.

Cons

No training for management to help account executives. Only a few great managers. Can feel a little a little micromanaged. Some systems in place are not used fairly.

There should be an anonymous reviews for managers so they can be more effective leaders instead of saying the same things over and over again

Worked for DataSphere Technologies? Contribute to the Community!