DataSphere Technologies

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
2.6

Satbir Khanuja

Pros
  • Work life balance is AMAZING-- which I love (in 8 reviews)

• Great way to make money and the work environment makes you want to succeed (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Felt more like a pet project to fill the pockets of upper management than an actual business (in 6 reviews)

• don't expect anything but base salary (which isnt huge (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible Management, Poor Pay, Stay Away!

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Young staff (20's-30's) which makes for a more fun, youthful environment
    -Great music playing, keeps you motivated in a mundane, repetitive job
    -Cool, relaxed environment

Cons

There are quite a few of them.....where to begin?
    -Managers are not managers...they are salespeople who were promoted based on having high sales. Just because you can sell a product well doesn't mean you can effectively manage people.
    -There is a LOT of different radios and music playing and cheering can get incessant. It was fun at first, but it gets extremely obnoxious when you're trying to focus on a call.
    -Hung up on CONSTANTLY...lowers morale very quickly.
    -Expected to put in at least 100 calls a day, or 6 hours of "talk time"
    -The product is really crappy...it's advertising on the customers' local news station's website...down the page quite a bit, rotating with quite a few other businesses
    -Pay is VERY low...they tell you it's a salaried position, but it's not. You get paid about $14/hour after taxes, which in Seattle's cost of living is more like $9/hour. Most of my coworkers, even in their thirties, are living with roommates because they cannot afford to live based on the lack of salary.
    -You only receive commission if you hit your quota. You can be $1 away and not get a commission check!

My personal story: I quit Datasphere because my husband was transferred jobs across the country. I was never paid my commission check (of about $1200) because I moved before working there 90 days. Supposedly it was spelled out in my employee handbook, but I could never see where it stated that. I would have hired a lawyer, but $1200 isn't worth it after considering legal fees! Very unfair...especially since it wasn't my decision to quit; my husband was getting transferred! There was really no choice on my part. I would have quit eventually though!) Also, my manager cussed at me and made me feel threatened quite often. The only time anything was ever done about it was when I went to HR. Even then it always felt awkward. I was glad to get out of there!

If you're going to promote successful salespeople as managers, make sure that you train them on how to be effective managers. Just because you can sell doesn't mean you can manage others and train them well.

Young adult babysitting

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy product to sell since management pushes for misrepresentation. Decent for a first job.

Cons

Horrible product that doesn't work for any clients. Poor customer retention. Totally unprofessional work environment. Extremely low base salary with decent commission structure as comparable to the salary. Micro managing to the point where it's almost like a young adult daycare. Clueless upper management on tech side.

Fix the "targeting" on your product and deliver something close to what your sales force pushes. It's a good idea with no follow through.

No money here....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, ping pong tables, kegs of beer, poker for prizes, etc

Cons

Base salary is low and the average cost of an ad to place is very low and the commission is not great so you make no money here. Required to make 40 calls a day. Extremely high turnover.

Invest some time doing this job yourself so you see what your employees are going through and realize that you need to be able to provide results and pay your people more.

Datasphere Experience

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training program, excellent work life balance, encouraging team work environment, etc.

Cons

No real cons to speak of. Great Company.

Would be nice to maybe have some ongoing career development and training as you progress in your time at the company. Overall great place to learn sales and start your career! Also would be good to have more clearly defined career paths that you can head into after learning the fundamentals of sales and exceeding objectives.

Account Executive

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was helpful, managers were open to working with you, and the office environment stays casual which keeps everyone pretty loose. Potential for a lot of commission to be made.

Cons

Basically one job duty... calling random companies. No working with clients once deals are closed. Minimal information and metrics/data about the product that you are selling, mostly because its not very good. Basically forced to sell a product while having to be quite vague. Sales staff and trainers often give contradicting advice.

Work closely with employees to find something that works for them and try to limit contradicting advice.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment, relaxed, decent commission structure

Cons

Horrible product, managers do nothing whatsoever

Make managers more than just dj's. All they do is read online artlicles and change the music genre once in awhile.. oh and they yell out names of people who make sales that day and give pep talks. They are worthless but it's not their fault.

You can do better.

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job. Co-workers were nice. Can do well in sales...

Cons

Sad attempts to prove respect for employees when there actually was none. Many a corner cut. A major focus on metrics and micromanagement. Felt more like a pet project to fill the pockets of upper management than an actual business. Priorities were clearly centered around sales (which had quite the churn rate by the way) so there's a lot of fast talking and over celebrating going on. Take any five star rating on this site with a big grain of salt.

If the job market wasn't so terrible, Datasphere would not survive. Show some real appreciation for the people that make your company successful. By that I don't mean more referral programs for free Kindle Fires and similar "Incentive" programs, they just come off as desperate. I will give you some credit: It's a smart move hiring people just out of school or without degrees, considering it's likely that they haven't worked at a decent company yet and don't know any better.

Cold Call

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Freedom to do what you think is best to get the job done. Co-workers are looking out for each other and provide insight on how to sell better.

Cons

No training for management to help account executives. Only a few great managers. Can feel a little a little micromanaged. Some systems in place are not used fairly.

There should be an anonymous reviews for managers so they can be more effective leaders instead of saying the same things over and over again

Typical Inside Sales

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management makes the day fun with games and activities.
    Commission plan is solid.
    Clear cut goals.

Cons

High pressure.
    Hit goals or get fired.
    Not enough coaching offered by leadership

Maintain one on one coaching sessions and help execs relate to customers better

Forward Thinking Company - Always Training, Changing, and Challenging norms

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is focused and driven to help you succeed and the environment is relaxed to inspire creative activity. The energy is high and the senior account executives are some of the smartest, driven people I have ever met.

Cons

The Marketing is okay, and it is developing. I think they understand that the product is a little weak.The only value you really have to sell with is the partnership with the News Stations. "Calling on behalf of King5" opens a lot of doors. That's it though. If you found a business owner that was egotistical enough to overlook the flatness of the product and the weak ROI - winner winner chicken dinner.

Development Team - Create more depth in this product. Your structure and leadership is right. I think the next step would be to start specializing to more industries than just Real Estate. If you did that more, you would have more of the success you see in LandWatch. This is too great of a company to dissolve due to failing appeal.

Sales Managers: Keep rocking it! You are all my Heroes.

DataSphere Technologies Photos