DataStax

Smartest and most Innovative team I have ever worked with

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

DataStax really values employees. They treat them with respect, value contributions and nurture potential. I look forward to my day at the office. My peers are smart, motivated, innovative people who enjoy their time in the office which in turn only makes my day at the office even that much more enjoyable.

Cons

We are growing super fast which can sometimes result in hires that are not a cultural fit; sometimes a bit more time finding the right hire instead of the 'right now' hire is more important.

Keep up the great work!!

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

DataStax is a rapidly growing and successful startup company with strong core values and great leadership team who are willing to go above and beyond to help you succeed in your role.

DataStax will be a great place to work IF you are a motivated and self-starter individual, with strong work ethics, robust personality and professional mentality, who’s willing to work hard and fully contribute to succeed in a challenging and competitive work environment with lots of incentives and rewarding opportunities. So if this sounds like you, you will love working at DataStax!

In response to those negative reviews:

Your personal views are somewhat understandable…. BUT it is weak and unprofessional to justify your indolence and weaknesses by unfairly criticizing others just because you are unable to deliver in your role and/or do not fit well within our culture. Datastax is a rapidly growing STARTUP company with lots of exciting and upcoming changes, and individual contributions are crucial to its development and success. Therefore, rapid changes along with difficult decisions are the absolute necessities for any organization to evolve and succeed.

I have to say that I’m extremely proud to be part of this awesome team.

Cons

We are growing real fast and sometimes finding the qualified professional who fits well within our culture could be challenging.

Keep up the good work!

Disillusioned SMB Sales

I have been working at DataStax

Pros

DataStax, built on Apache Cassandra, is reliable. Product aligns well with large enterprise corporations who have policy/governance around use of non-open sources platforms. Strong focus on customer advocacy.

Cons

Primary core value is to grow open source community awareness of Apache Cassandra, with revenue secondary to DataStax. IP is freely given without strings, and cannibalizes the ability for DataStax SMB sales to grow. Overall, with numerous trainings and step-up freely given on DataStax and Apache Cassandra, this causes the devaluing of DataStax enterprise platform, to the SMB Market. SMB sales in solely driven without marketing or lead generation support. SMB sales teams are required to "cold-call" into non-open source fluent customer base. This leads to scarce sales opportunities with elongated sales cycles, once qualified. The SMB sales team is responsible for evangelizing DataStax / Apache Cassandra, lead generations, sales, and customer advocacy. Being spread this thin makes selling difficult, and quotas almost impossible to achieve. If you are not working a mature, NoSQL territory, the ability to attain your quota is extremely difficult. Management is disillusioned by Enterprise Sales believing Apache Cassandra will match within the SMB market. SMB IT has notoriously bore the pain over Enterprise IT regarding smaller budgets. It’s foolish to believe shifting off a core database platform, in the relational space, will be adopted widely at the SMB level at/or before Enterprise.

Look at changing Freemium model and evaluate when to cut the umbilical cord.
    If the top priority is evangelizing Apache Cassandra and DataStax then a compensation plan aligned to that model would be better suited. The high turnover rests solely on Management to change. If managements short sided agenda does not change then SMB sales retention will continue plummet.

Work with the best engineers on the best product for the next big market.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working at DataStax because every day I work on a world changing technology with people who are brilliant, motivated and professional. The company lives up to its core values of being honest, open, and respectful. This fosters an environment where people are friendly and helpful, problems are resolved in a timely fashion, and management is responsive and transparent.

Cons

It's 2014 and we're experiencing growing pains. We've grown 5 fold in 2 years, more than half of that in the last year. We get good people who pick up the ball and run, but that still leaves some room for confusion.

For example, the company has paid lip service to putting a non-management track in for engineering, but haven't put it in place. I feel comfortable saying I trust this will be resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

The target is still shifting as the company orients itself in the market. This is a matter of self-discovery. We're still a start-up company. However, the size of the company is making this self-discovery a little uncomfortable at times.

What's shared with the company internally about our focus is enlightening and helpful. We aren't where we want to be yet in terms of BHAG and company organization, but your continued efforts are moving us in that direction. More of the same.

Poor Sales Culture

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great technology and really smart people to work with. Solutions are great for the enterprise level Fortune 500 type customers. Really great support team that has a strong focus on helping their customers.

Cons

Sales culture is turning into an "Oracle" type of atmosphere and boiler room environment where sales management is pitting the sales team against each other. Sales team is not set up for success and have not been provided any type of lead generation help for years. Sales management seems to think that goals are going to be achieved with a 100% outbound model. Very small percentage of sales team is actually making their quotas and the ones that are. Are the new reps on ramped quota and were provided territories with existing opportunities from previous reps. Management has no accountability and finger points the issues to the individual reps without taking any responsibility for why they may be under performing. CEO doesn't seem to like sales people. Lots of turnover within the sales organization.

Management needs to get a clue and set up the sales team for success and not have unrealistic expectations with a 100% outbound model. Support the team and not just the new reps coming on board. Ask yourselves why so many talented sales people left the company....

The best company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very smart engineers, visionary management, flexible work hours. Open-source friendly culture.
    Awesome technology, everyday is something new and interesting. I'm constantly learning new stuff. Ability to work from remote and no feeling that I'm left out of sth.

Cons

Things are moving very fast. Sometimes too many things to do at once. If you're not a fast-learner and don't want to work hard, this is not a place for you.

Make sure we retain the awesome culture while growing into a big company.

Good Product. Terrible Sales Plan. Terrible Management.

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good solution for the Fortune 500 type company.
    - Good coworkers
    - Pretty much everyone in sales isn't earning money, so at least I'm not alone.

Cons

The ability to earn even close to the on-track earnings promised is a complete joke. The role that was sold to me as was for a consultative sales position, but unfortunately the quantitative call metrics and lead development requirements prove that was just lip service. The marketing is non-existent, the quotas are almost mathematically unachievable, and the boiler room management style of the sales leadership is laughable.

The biggest joke of all, however, is the go to market strategy. Datastax is going after the Cassandra Community, a group that expects everything for free so essentially who we end up selling against is the free version of our product.

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -Winston Churchill

The sales org is a sh*tshow and boiler room.

Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Datastax is supported by an awesome technology. The majority of the people at the company are pleasurable to work with. I truly feel the company will go pre-IPO by mid-2015 . . . So your equity will hold value, given you vested. The product management team and engineers are all rockstars. There is a true startup culture where everyone works hard. Cassandra has a strong community and it's growing. There is now free lunch every day.

Cons

The sales reps don't get much respect. The marketing is subpar, which impacts the sales team. You will be doing MUCH more out-bounding than following up on leads, nurturing accounts and trying to close deals. The sales org is becoming a boiler room environment where all calls are tracked. Quantity over quality doesn't work in a consultative sales environment. Not much upward mobility. The CEO, Billy, won't say "Hi" to you when you walk by him unless you initiate. The compensation plan is horrible. If you hit accelerators at a certain tier, your % decreases. I know, weird. There are a lot of false promises given. Don't believe the hype.

(Rhetorical) Question of the day: Why did the talented people quit Datastax when it has such great promise?

My husband doesn't ask me how my day was anymore... Cause he's jealous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyday is new and exiting. I look forward to actually being at work with everyone, what a concept! Even if I am having a bad day something or someone will change that frown upside down. If you want to love your job, check out DataStax.

Cons

There is so much to do in this fast pasted environment, I often times find it difficult to get everything done. But eventually it gets done.

It is sometimes hard to make the difficult decision if a person, or persons, are not working out for the company or the culture. Difficult decisions should be made for the betterment of the company, and it's employees, in the long run. Bottom line, make the tough decisions now before it becomes too difficult.

Personal and business growth.

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Smartest bunch of people I know where we can openly discuss issues and bring in people to solve problems. Email chains are a thing of a past, I need answers I'll just hipchat them. Distributed teams, challenging and fulfilling work.

Cons

Work life balance, lots of exciting things to do not enough time to do it.

Keep on doing what you're doing.