DataStax
www.datastax.com Santa Clara, CA 150 to 499 Employees

DataStax Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Billy Bosworth

The best company I ever worked for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsVery smart engineers, visionary management, flexible work hours. Open-source friendly culture.
    Awesome technology, everyday is something new and interesting. I'm constantly learning new stuff. Ability to work from remote and no feeling that I'm left out of sth.

ConsThings are moving very fast. Sometimes too many things to do at once. If you're not a fast-learner and don't want to work hard, this is not a place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure we retain the awesome culture while growing into a big company.

Work with the best engineers on the best product for the next big market.

Senior Software Engineer In Test (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI love working at DataStax because every day I work on a world changing technology with people who are brilliant, motivated and professional. The company lives up to its core values of being honest, open, and respectful. This fosters an environment where people are friendly and helpful, problems are resolved in a timely fashion, and management is responsive and transparent.

ConsIt's 2014 and we're experiencing growing pains. We've grown 5 fold in 2 years, more than half of that in the last year. We get good people who pick up the ball and run, but that still leaves some room for confusion.

For example, the company has paid lip service to putting a non-management track in for engineering, but haven't put it in place. I feel comfortable saying I trust this will be resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

The target is still shifting as the company orients itself in the market. This is a matter of self-discovery. We're still a start-up company. However, the size of the company is making this self-discovery a little uncomfortable at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's shared with the company internally about our focus is enlightening and helpful. We aren't where we want to be yet in terms of BHAG and company organization, but your continued efforts are moving us in that direction. More of the same.

My husband doesn't ask me how my day was anymore... Cause he's jealous

Santa Clara, CA

ProsEveryday is new and exiting. I look forward to actually being at work with everyone, what a concept! Even if I am having a bad day something or someone will change that frown upside down. If you want to love your job, check out DataStax.

ConsThere is so much to do in this fast pasted environment, I often times find it difficult to get everything done. But eventually it gets done.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is sometimes hard to make the difficult decision if a person, or persons, are not working out for the company or the culture. Difficult decisions should be made for the betterment of the company, and it's employees, in the long run. Bottom line, make the tough decisions now before it becomes too difficult.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Personal and business growth.

ProsSmartest bunch of people I know where we can openly discuss issues and bring in people to solve problems. Email chains are a thing of a past, I need answers I'll just hipchat them. Distributed teams, challenging and fulfilling work.

ConsWork life balance, lots of exciting things to do not enough time to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing.

I am extremely enthusiastic about Datastax, my position and the company's future.

Global Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe company emphasizes communication and respect for all employees regardless of their title. This is a common "statement" for companies, but at Datastax I have consistently felt the difference in attitude in my dealing with the top executives as well as with colleagues. The daily lunches where executives join the rest of the staff, provides daily opportunities to get to know executives and colleagues on a casual basis. The CEO can frequently be found in the lunch room in the late afternoon working on his laptop - another example of ensuring his availability to all employees. The work load is consistent... but the flexibility to juggle your work with personal commitments is outstanding. I feel like I have left Dorothy's Kansas - working in a drab B&W world, and have landed in a challenging, fun and Technicolor OZ....and so far I haven't seen any sign of flying monkeys or witches.

ConsI have only been on board for 2 months... but I am thrilled to be at Datastax and currently do not have complaints... or concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep "walking the talk"

Extremely excited to be part of something so AMAZING!

Santa Clara, CA

ProsYou don't mind coming to work here... everyone is just as hardworking and dedicated as the next no matter which team you're on. From the Execs all the way down - everyone's heart is in it 100%, to help DataStax succeed. By far the BEST company I have ever worked for. Our CEO not only encourages us to "mingle" during lunch hour - but he too table hops himself, getting to know us all individually on a more intimate level. The culture is what truly makes this place ROCK... yes the free lunches, and unlimited supply of drinks and snacks help - but the people are what makes it all come together and makes the magic happen!

ConsCons? Seriously? I haven't found one yet... highly doubt I ever will

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! The monthly "Welcome to DataStax" meeting was a great idea! The way Billy shares his life with us and motivates us in that meeting was what honestly sealed the deal for me! His encouraging words and uplifting spirit make him so much more than just a CEO.

Amazing technology coupled with amazing people.

ProsGreat culture and priorities! Visibility, Accountability and Respect!

Ability to hire folks from all over the world... love that we're not restricted to a single geographical location.

CFO with Wall Street cred; can you say IPO in the future?

ConsWill update if anything pops up, but nada as of right now.

CEO is awesome.

ProsThe best thing about DataStax is that the CEO is awesome. He is smart, visionary, and really cares about people and about their careers.

ConsIt's a very fast growing company so at times it's takes extra effort to ensure that those who need to be informed about certain activities are included.Typical growing pains, but it's good that we have that awareness internally.

Awesome

ProsFantastic technology, great market position. Best technical staff I've ever worked with. Amazing leadership from the CEO. A good company to work for and to do business with.

ConsFast paced. Growing like a rocket. A bit chaotic as a result. Average performers will not do well. Bring your A game.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Rewarding, challenging start-up with huge potential and a great culture

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

ProsThe company provides a great distributed software product, and does this using a very effective distributed work environment. The distributed working environment provides a good work/life balance. The technical challenges are interesting and cutting-edge. It's a rare find to be able to get hands-on experience in new technology with a company that has both a superbly talented team and a great culture. Plus the market upside for DataStax is huge.

ConsIt's a start-up and as such is experiencing normal growing pains. The company is growing very quickly and maintaining a culture while being sensitive to both new and tenured team members is always challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay aggressive in market penetration and continue to hire the caliber of individuals that will protect the culture of this up-and-coming company.

Worked for DataStax? Contribute to the Community!

DataStax Videos

DataStax – Why Work for Us?

We Are Hiring! These are exciting times at DataStax. The creativity and sense of possibility are palpable here. Every day we see how we’re changing lives and transforming business the world over with our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DataStax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DataStax CEO Billy Bosworth. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by DataStax employees.