DataStax

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
4.0

Billy Bosworth

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance second to none (in 3 reviews)

• The engineers I work with are top notch, makes it really a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales team is driving most events and demand generation- this makes us angry (in 5 reviews)

• You have to love to work, the company is growing fast in turn it moving fast (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Contagious energy and impressive employee skills

Current Employee - Remote Engineering Team Member
    Current Employee - Remote Engineering Team Member

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge product base, highly skilled team, open development environment that provides learning opportunities at all levels. Great place to work at any phase in your career. Senior industry veterans fit in as well as new graduates... only the best get invited to join, and only the sharpest thrive. Best part? Remote employees are part of the core team and never left out of on-site meetings... we use video in all meetings and have a high level of connectedness.

Cons

No down time to absorb the massive amounts of onboarding information, product information, and overall domain expertise that is required to do a good job. Ramp up time? There is none. You've got to hit the ground running.

Reward great behavior... amazing things are happening and we all want to hear of successes.

Amazing place for engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting problems, cool tech, working from home with smart coworkers. Everyones optimistic about things so its a positive atmosphere.

Cons

Working from home has some negatives while being great at same time.

Its getting to be a larger company so there are some growing pains as things scale.

The Worst and Most Negative Sales Environment

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cassandra, although it's not Datastax's IP, is a robust solution.

Cons

Sales management flat out lies, cheats, and manipulates. Believe it, it's true.
    Totally incapable sales management.
    Insecure, inexperienced, and sales management lacking knowledge, skills, experiences, and abilities.
    Non existent ethics.
    Extreme politics.
    NEGATIVE, fear based, abusive, counterproductive, and destructive sales environment and culture.
    Brash arrogance towards employees and customers, an obvious cover up for lack of skills and abilities.
    It's hard to imagine a sales culture being this poor and inept-but believe it, it's true here.
    There are reasons why top people including top performing salespeople consistently leave, and there's so much turnover.
    Management creates unparalleled barriers to productivity.

Listen. Collaborate as a team. Do your job. Stop projecting your own inadequacies onto others. Learn how to be objective.
    Do your homework before making conclusions and decisions.
    I'd suggest not feeling threatened when a team member has ideas or experiences you don't and that can help an account or situation. Instead, try working together in a constructive, positive manner. Unfortunately, I do not believe it's possible given the team.
    Start treating employees and customers with the respect they deserve.

I really love working here.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work environment here is amazing. The way HipChat is used here encourages constant communication both amongst and between teams; as a result, you get information you need super-fast and can easily work collaboratively whenever needed. Engineering management is excellent. They've created an environment that fosters motivation and teamwork, even though engineers work independently and in many cases remotely. Work schedule has great flexibility. Headquarters in Santa Clara is really nice, feels like the interior design was done professionally; workspaces are open (no cubes), the feel/vibe in the Santa Clara office is one of a bustling startup. Lots of really great snacks (there are always packaged organic boiled eggs in the fridge along with the other normal snack fare like chips, cereal, yogurt, etc). Everyday free lunches are nice. The lunchroom is a great place to "mingle". Coworkers and execs are smart and friendly.

Cons

Really, the only con would be for people who aren't driven, not up to the challenge of constant learning in an ever-evolving technological space like big data. Such folks wouldn't do well here at Datastax.

Another con (though really just a very, very minor nit) is that we're growing so fast, we're losing our "fun spaces" like our video game bean bag cardboard cave (hopefully, that's not gone for good, just temporarily unavailable til we can find another space for it).

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep making great hires Keep things open and transparent. We are headed in the right direction.

Energetic and exciting times for hot company and product!

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Globally oriented culture. Employees help each other to over achieve in meeting customer needs. Events are extremely well organized to motivate and provide a climate of excellence for the team. Employees encouraged to help solve problems and to be self directed.

Cons

Some may be put-off by the energy and high expectations to perform. Proven performers will enjoy the challenge and being surrounded by like minded individuals.

Set achievable goals and continue to reward excellence.

Best Tech Sales Job Since .com Run 15 years ago

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance second to none. Huge Innovation - Big Data / NoSQL Technology Leader. $1 million dollar W2 potential, IPO imminent.

Cons

Sales cycles are long due to newer technology. Customers don't have the talent to adopt as quick as they wish. We cant hire skilled technologist fast enough.

Stay the Course! Poor reviews are from folks that simply didn't make the cut. A-Players only at DataStax.

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

DataStax is a rapidly growing and successful startup company with strong core values and great leadership team who are willing to go above and beyond to help you succeed in your role.

DataStax will be a great place to work IF you are a motivated and self-starter individual, with strong work ethics, robust personality and professional mentality, who’s willing to work hard and fully contribute to succeed in a challenging and competitive work environment with lots of incentives and rewarding opportunities. So if this sounds like you, you will love working at DataStax!

In response to those negative reviews:

Your personal views are somewhat understandable…. BUT it is weak and unprofessional to justify your indolence and weaknesses by unfairly criticizing others just because you are unable to deliver in your role and/or do not fit well within our culture. Datastax is a rapidly growing STARTUP company with lots of exciting and upcoming changes, and individual contributions are crucial to its development and success. Therefore, rapid changes along with difficult decisions are the absolute necessities for any organization to evolve and succeed.

I have to say that I’m extremely proud to be part of this awesome team.

Cons

We are growing real fast and sometimes finding the qualified professional who fits well within our culture could be challenging.

Keep up the good work!

Smartest and most Innovative team I have ever worked with

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

DataStax really values employees. They treat them with respect, value contributions and nurture potential. I look forward to my day at the office. My peers are smart, motivated, innovative people who enjoy their time in the office which in turn only makes my day at the office even that much more enjoyable.

Cons

We are growing super fast which can sometimes result in hires that are not a cultural fit; sometimes a bit more time finding the right hire instead of the 'right now' hire is more important.

Keep up the great work!!

Disillusioned SMB Sales

I have been working at DataStax

Pros

DataStax, built on Apache Cassandra, is reliable. Product aligns well with large enterprise corporations who have policy/governance around use of non-open sources platforms. Strong focus on customer advocacy.

Cons

Primary core value is to grow open source community awareness of Apache Cassandra, with revenue secondary to DataStax. IP is freely given without strings, and cannibalizes the ability for DataStax SMB sales to grow. Overall, with numerous trainings and step-up freely given on DataStax and Apache Cassandra, this causes the devaluing of DataStax enterprise platform, to the SMB Market. SMB sales in solely driven without marketing or lead generation support. SMB sales teams are required to "cold-call" into non-open source fluent customer base. This leads to scarce sales opportunities with elongated sales cycles, once qualified. The SMB sales team is responsible for evangelizing DataStax / Apache Cassandra, lead generations, sales, and customer advocacy. Being spread this thin makes selling difficult, and quotas almost impossible to achieve. If you are not working a mature, NoSQL territory, the ability to attain your quota is extremely difficult. Management is disillusioned by Enterprise Sales believing Apache Cassandra will match within the SMB market. SMB IT has notoriously bore the pain over Enterprise IT regarding smaller budgets. It’s foolish to believe shifting off a core database platform, in the relational space, will be adopted widely at the SMB level at/or before Enterprise.

Look at changing Freemium model and evaluate when to cut the umbilical cord.
    If the top priority is evangelizing Apache Cassandra and DataStax then a compensation plan aligned to that model would be better suited. The high turnover rests solely on Management to change. If managements short sided agenda does not change then SMB sales retention will continue plummet.

Good Product. Terrible Sales Plan. Terrible Management.

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Good solution for the Fortune 500 type company.
    - Good coworkers
    - Pretty much everyone in sales isn't earning money, so at least I'm not alone.

Cons

The ability to earn even close to the on-track earnings promised is a complete joke. The role that was sold to me as was for a consultative sales position, but unfortunately the quantitative call metrics and lead development requirements prove that was just lip service. The marketing is non-existent, the quotas are almost mathematically unachievable, and the boiler room management style of the sales leadership is laughable.

The biggest joke of all, however, is the go to market strategy. Datastax is going after the Cassandra Community, a group that expects everything for free so essentially who we end up selling against is the free version of our product.

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." -Winston Churchill