DataStax

Updated December 26, 2014
Updated December 26, 2014
4.1

Billy Bosworth

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance second to none (in 3 reviews)

• The engineers I work with are top notch, makes it really a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales team is driving most events and demand generation- this makes us angry (in 5 reviews)

• You have to love to work, the company is growing fast in turn it moving fast (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding, challenging start-up with huge potential and a great culture

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company provides a great distributed software product, and does this using a very effective distributed work environment. The distributed working environment provides a good work/life balance. The technical challenges are interesting and cutting-edge. It's a rare find to be able to get hands-on experience in new technology with a company that has both a superbly talented team and a great culture. Plus the market upside for DataStax is huge.

Cons

It's a start-up and as such is experiencing normal growing pains. The company is growing very quickly and maintaining a culture while being sensitive to both new and tenured team members is always challenging.

Stay aggressive in market penetration and continue to hire the caliber of individuals that will protect the culture of this up-and-coming company.

Awesome Company With Huge Growth Potential And Leading Edge Technology

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

We are on the forefront of the next big thing in database. DataStax will change the world. Only smart people work at DataStax. The culture is fast paced without disrupting work-life balance. We have an amazing product and truly care about our customers. I mean truly. Not the BS you might hear from other companies.

Cons

Because we are growing rapidly it will be a challenge to maintain the same wonderful culture we currently enjoy.

Keep up the good work and make cultural fit priority one in new hires. And only hire smart people.

Hot Silicon Valley Start-up!

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun time to be at the company if you are a start-up type. Everything is moving fast, processes are being created, and teams are being built. If you like being on the ground floor of what could be a really successful company, this is the place to be.

Cons

Well, it's a start-up and it's moving fast and it's crazy. If you don't like that, this probably isn't your type of company.

Listen to all of your employees. Keep focus on culture. Keep hiring well.

Working Smart, Changing the Industry and Real Distributed Culture

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, people listen to your opinions, amazing team members...plus innovation is real, there is flexibility with work/home balance. Process never becomes the bottleneck because management focuses on work quality that can scale for expected growth. I turned down 2 other offers to come here because of the people I got to interview with, the company's growth strategy, the enterprise customers and the flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Some team members are not distributed, perception tends to become difficult to those who have to be in office. It's important to use the face to face moments and make your efforts noticed and communicate often when delivering results.

I love that I'm always informed about things most companies keep under wraps. Keep it up. I never feel in the dark or uninformed. It's a great feeling and gives me even more incentive to work hard.

The best company to work for..period.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Very experienced and professional executive team. Terrific technology with smart people around you. Everyday is exciting and super fun. Work is flexible and valued.

Cons

What do you mean by Cons? :-)

DataStax has THE BEST LEADERSHIP TEAM combined with AWESOME TECHNOLOGY. Keep at it.

I LOVE working at DataStax!

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent vibe in the office, great people, true team spirit, exceptional growth potential, intelligent coworkers, excellent leadership, phenomenal market segment and a really, really fun place to work. I expect to be working here for many years to come.

Cons

No different than any other high-growth company going through some growing pains... continuous improvement on policies and procedures.

Develop more training and keep the gas pedal to the floor.

Cutting-edge technology in a dynamic environment

Current Employee - QA Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been working in software for a long time, from big companies to startups, and this is one of the best places I've worked. Some of the things I value here: very smart and interesting people, a passion for world-class products, inspiring leadership with an achievable vision, explosive growth, solid funding.

Cons

The fast pace and high bar for quality and performance, and the distributed team, may not be for everyone. (I love it, though!)

At the forefront of the current tech wave

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with extremely intelligent and motivated engineers
    Encouraged to experiment and utilize new technology
    Extremely respectful and encouraging environment
    Distributed work environment means very flexible hours
    Lots of training and opportunity to work with partner companies

Cons

Distributed environment is sometimes lonely

High-End Engineering

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some very talented engineers and an executive team with a great vision for the products. Cassandra is likely to become one of the most popular database on the market in the years to come so as an engineer your work can have a huge impact.

Cons

The company is growing like crazy which always bring some uncertainty on the upcoming change of company culture, but the executive team is very experienced and handle it smoothly so far.

The moment I walked through the door I knew DataStax was going to be an amazing experience!

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

First,and foremost the people here all come from various industry backgrounds making it an awesome melting pot for creativity, innovation and open-mindedness. Second, would be the culture. Last, but not least would be the tremendous market potential and potential career growth within the company.

Cons

It is startup....so you need to act fast. You need to be able to figure most of it out on your own!

I understand that the company is still in a startup mode, however a structured training plan would help new hires.