DataStax

www.datastax.com

At the forefront of the current tech wave

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with extremely intelligent and motivated engineers
    Encouraged to experiment and utilize new technology
    Extremely respectful and encouraging environment
    Distributed work environment means very flexible hours
    Lots of training and opportunity to work with partner companies

Cons

Distributed environment is sometimes lonely

High-End Engineering

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some very talented engineers and an executive team with a great vision for the products. Cassandra is likely to become one of the most popular database on the market in the years to come so as an engineer your work can have a huge impact.

Cons

The company is growing like crazy which always bring some uncertainty on the upcoming change of company culture, but the executive team is very experienced and handle it smoothly so far.

The moment I walked through the door I knew DataStax was going to be an amazing experience!

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

First,and foremost the people here all come from various industry backgrounds making it an awesome melting pot for creativity, innovation and open-mindedness. Second, would be the culture. Last, but not least would be the tremendous market potential and potential career growth within the company.

Cons

It is startup....so you need to act fast. You need to be able to figure most of it out on your own!

I understand that the company is still in a startup mode, however a structured training plan would help new hires.

If you work in Sales, do not work for Datastax!

Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- There are cool/friendly people to work with
    - The technology is beautiful and game changing
    - The engineers are sharp
    - The product management team is spectacular
    - One co-founder, Jonathan Ellis, is very smart . . . Matt Pfeil, not so much.

Cons

- The CEO (Billy Bosworth) hates sales reps (and is proud of it)
    - They don't care about the little people
    - Horrible (shares distribution) equity for the sales team
    - The sales team is highly underpaid
    - Datastax has the worst sales commission rate / package I've ever seen
    - No career growth
    - Horrible (sales) management
    - Sales team has a revolving door
    - No guidance or training given by management
    - The management tends to lie and mislead
    - The marketing team isn't that great, which hurts the sales team
    - Sink or swim
    - Sales quota by ISRs are never hit

If you treat your employees with respect and use market standards for pay, I'm sure your employee retention rate will increase along with employee satisfaction. Also, it may be good to appreciate the sales team . . . they help keep the lights on and provide the free lunches.

Downward spiral for potential IPO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Game-changing product that is changing the world we live in! Great benefits; free gym, free lunch, healthy snacks and awesome break room. We have a pool table and ping table! I'm crossing my fingers for the Olympic size pool...

Cons

Very hostile work environment from a sales/marketing perspective, poor pay (who meets their quota??), executive team doesn't care about the little people.

The sales team is driving most events and demand generation- this makes us angry!! Give us some darn leads and helps us get the word out! Quotas are unachievable- not sure about the logic here... Many other NoSQL alternatives are poaching employees bc they know we are unhappy, and it's working since culture/pay/executive teams are solid at Mongo or Couchbase.

PEOPLE ARE SCARED TO GO TO MANAGEMENT AND VOICE THEIR OPINIONS! and when they do, they get shot down.

If people are unhappy and feel that this is hostile; find a way to change things! anonymous poll, meetings with employees... Billy, Matt, Jonathan, this is your baby! Don't let it die.

High Turnover on Sales Talent... BAD BAD PAY

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SOLID product. C* will go places and eventually someone like an Oracle or an SAP will pick 'em up.

Cons

Too much politics. Management pits employees against one another and lead by fear-mongering tactics. Management is not transparent. Marketing is non-existent to supplement sales success and is only focused on growing the community. Sales drives marketing events like meetups and deviate away from sales activities. This is the first time in 17 years where sales worked for marketing success and not the other way around. Marketing is NEVER in the office. Hopefully their new CMO can whip them back up to shape.

HIGH TURNOVER in the sales organization. 8 reps left the company within the past 4 months. Beware. BAD BAD PAY.

Want sales to sell more? Invest in marketing to make them successful.Stop pitting employees against one another and stop playing favorites. Fear-mongering defamation will lead to your downfall.

DataStax Response

Apr 11, 2014CEO

I hope that we can help you have a more positive experience. We are definitely investing in marketing beyond the community, though the community is and will remain very important as we are an ... More

Revolving Door for sales

Current Employee - LDR in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - LDR in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome product! proven solution. Huge potential for growth.

Cons

Sales has been a revolving door. No one sticks and marketing is non existent where sales can close. sales seem to do the job of marketing in driving meet ups and still have to hit an unrealistic number by pure cold calling. There are a lot of brown nosers and management seems to be selective with who they gravitate towards. poor culture and pay is below average. MARKETING IS NEVER IN THE OFFICE. THEY ARE CONDESCENDING TOWARDS SALES and RARELY ANSWER MY EMAILS!

fix marketing please and need sales leaders, NOT fear mongers that make for a hostile environment for many employees.

DataStax Response

Apr 11, 2014CEO

I'm sorry you are having a bad experience. The marketing team is in the process of adjusting to new leadership and that takes some time, but if you let me know which emails are not being responded ... More

Software built the right way stands the test of time! You will want to be part of this movement!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Demand for the product! Leader in the market! Secure Funding! Team passion for Growth!...and the management team wants you to succeed! If you have the next-gen technology passion, drive, and ability to work outside the box at times, then this is a solid fit.

Cons

If you aren't maniacally focused to bring your best everyday...then this is not the place for you. You absolutely need high energy, high performance drive for individual success and for the overall success of the company.

Thank you for taking the time to bring in a stellar executive team, and knowing the areas we need to improve. The transparency is refreshing to see.

Enjoying DataStax

Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• Happy culture with ample opportunity to do your best work
    • Lots of growth; within 1.5 years from 50 employees to 200+
    • No customer niche, they range from startups to fortune 500's

Cons

• Processes are still being formed as we transition from startup to small sized company

Love My Job!!!

I have been working at DataStax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability is key here. I have been with the company for many years and still believe its the best decision I made. I have worn many hats and learned a lot.

Cons

You have to love to work, the company is growing fast in turn it moving fast. Not sure that's a CON :-).

Keep rocking, we have a strong team of leaders and continue to hire strong players. The Management team is doing a great job of keeping the culture and atmosphere happy. Work hard, play hard! :-)