DataStax Reviews

Paranoia

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience working on Cassandra. Political Engineering driven company who just adds features to products because they can with Marketing having to try to figure out after the fact who will buy it

Cons

Paranoid management, disrespect, constant tension, and long hours sum up most of the real culture in the company. Culture here is strictly top down, coworkers that stood their ground and set boundaries seemed to end up on a shix list of sorts and were out of the inner circle of cronies. An example: The VP of Engineering hires his son conveniently & the rank/file knew not to ask any questions about it.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act.

Rewarding, challenging start-up with huge potential and a great culture

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides a great distributed software product, and does this using a very effective distributed work environment. The distributed working environment provides a good work/life balance. The technical challenges are interesting and cutting-edge. It's a rare find to be able to get hands-on experience in new technology with a company that has both a superbly talented team and a great culture. Plus the market upside for DataStax is huge.

Cons

It's a start-up and as such is experiencing normal growing pains. The company is growing very quickly and maintaining a culture while being sensitive to both new and tenured team members is always challenging.

Advice to Management

Stay aggressive in market penetration and continue to hire the caliber of individuals that will protect the culture of this up-and-coming company.

If you work in Sales, do not work for Datastax!

Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There are cool/friendly people to work with - The technology is beautiful and game changing - The engineers are sharp - The product management team is spectacular - One co-founder, Jonathan Ellis, is very smart . . . Matt Pfeil, not so much.

Cons

- The CEO (Billy Bosworth) hates sales reps (and is proud of it) - They don't care about the little people - Horrible (shares distribution) equity for the sales team - The sales team is highly underpaid - Datastax has the worst sales commission rate / package I've ever seen - No career growth - Horrible (sales) management - Sales team has a revolving door - No guidance or training given by management - The management tends to lie and mislead - The marketing team isn't that great, which hurts the sales team - Sink or swim - Sales quota by ISRs are never hit

Advice to Management

If you treat your employees with respect and use market standards for pay, I'm sure your employee retention rate will increase along with employee satisfaction. Also, it may be good to appreciate the sales team . . . they help keep the lights on and provide the free lunches.

Hot Silicon Valley Start-up!

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun time to be at the company if you are a start-up type. Everything is moving fast, processes are being created, and teams are being built. If you like being on the ground floor of what could be a really successful company, this is the place to be.

Cons

Well, it's a start-up and it's moving fast and it's crazy. If you don't like that, this probably isn't your type of company.

Advice to Management

Listen to all of your employees. Keep focus on culture. Keep hiring well.

Downward spiral for potential IPO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Game-changing product that is changing the world we live in! Great benefits; free gym, free lunch, healthy snacks and awesome break room. We have a pool table and ping table! I'm crossing my fingers for the Olympic size pool...

Cons

Very hostile work environment from a sales/marketing perspective, poor pay (who meets their quota??), executive team doesn't care about the little people. The sales team is driving most events and demand generation- this makes us angry!! Give us some darn leads and helps us get the word out! Quotas are unachievable- not sure about the logic here... Many other NoSQL alternatives are poaching employees bc they know we are unhappy, and it's working since culture/pay/executive teams are solid at Mongo or Couchbase. PEOPLE ARE SCARED TO GO TO MANAGEMENT AND VOICE THEIR OPINIONS! and when they do, they get shot down.

Advice to Management

If people are unhappy and feel that this is hostile; find a way to change things! anonymous poll, meetings with employees... Billy, Matt, Jonathan, this is your baby! Don't let it die.

The moment I walked through the door I knew DataStax was going to be an amazing experience!

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First,and foremost the people here all come from various industry backgrounds making it an awesome melting pot for creativity, innovation and open-mindedness. Second, would be the culture. Last, but not least would be the tremendous market potential and potential career growth within the company.

Cons

It is startup....so you need to act fast. You need to be able to figure most of it out on your own!

Advice to Management

I understand that the company is still in a startup mode, however a structured training plan would help new hires.

Revolving Door for sales

Current Employee - LDR in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - LDR in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome product! proven solution. Huge potential for growth.

Cons

Sales has been a revolving door. No one sticks and marketing is non existent where sales can close. sales seem to do the job of marketing in driving meet ups and still have to hit an unrealistic number by pure cold calling. There are a lot of brown nosers and management seems to be selective with who they gravitate towards. poor culture and pay is below average. MARKETING IS NEVER IN THE OFFICE. THEY ARE CONDESCENDING TOWARDS SALES and RARELY ANSWER MY EMAILS!

Advice to Management

fix marketing please and need sales leaders, NOT fear mongers that make for a hostile environment for many employees.

DataStax Response

Apr 11, 2014 – CEO

I'm sorry you are having a bad experience. The marketing team is in the process of adjusting to new leadership and that takes some time, but if you let me know which emails are not being responded ... More

Software built the right way stands the test of time! You will want to be part of this movement!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Demand for the product! Leader in the market! Secure Funding! Team passion for Growth!...and the management team wants you to succeed! If you have the next-gen technology passion, drive, and ability to work outside the box at times, then this is a solid fit.

Cons

If you aren't maniacally focused to bring your best everyday...then this is not the place for you. You absolutely need high energy, high performance drive for individual success and for the overall success of the company.

Advice to Management

Thank you for taking the time to bring in a stellar executive team, and knowing the areas we need to improve. The transparency is refreshing to see.

Wonderful and exciting start-up company

Current Employee - IT Support in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great to work with. Everyone is focused on the company's success as a whole. Very fun and positive work culture. Hard work is recognized since the company is still small. Great compensation and benefits.

Cons

Rapid growth demands going the extra mile. Be prepared to put in extra hours and work late nights occasionally.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Reward all employees for their hard work.

Enjoying DataStax

Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Happy culture with ample opportunity to do your best work • Lots of growth; within 1.5 years from 50 employees to 200+ • No customer niche, they range from startups to fortune 500's

Cons

• Processes are still being formed as we transition from startup to small sized company

RSS Feed </> Embed