DataXu

www.dataxu.com

DataXu Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Mike Baker

Great company with some interesting challenges

ProsDataXu has an exciting vibe, is well known in the industry and has some extremely talented people.

ConsLarge turn over in some teams have led to a certain lack of focus and management. Unnecessary red tape sometimes reminds one of Office Space. Surprising amount of big company BS for a startup.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestrict the number of meetings. Host more tech meetups and encourage technical discussion across teams.

Great company to work for

Pros* Industry growth and culture
    * Challenging problems

Cons* Can be chaotic at times

Nice place to work (skewed a little older though)

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI really like the freedom I had working here, I was able to work on some really cool and exciting projects and the structure allows you to talk to a bunch of different people at different levels of the company

ConsI thought the people working here were a little bit more family focused although I'm sure that's nice if you're not in your 20s

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

ProsA great technology with a lot of money behind it.

ConsThe eagerness to go IPO has created a less then desirable working environment. Most offices have very low morale, incredibly high turn-over in recent months, constant restructuring and a CEO who wants to have his hand in every department...including running the day-to-day activities of both sales and marketing. Benefits are being cut without warning and it generally feels like a "penny-wise, pound foolish" approach.

Annoymous

annoymous (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt really isn't a pleasant place to be around. There are a couple nice people and that's it.

ConsNot a good experience at all. The CEO isn't impressive and is in it for a quick buck.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like human beings

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great people, OK internship

Internship (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThis company has fun! It is full of great and exciting people. It has a great office always stocked with snacks and there's happy hour on Fridays.

ConsThe negative was that the internship had a lot of downtime and didn't expose you to a lot of the company. It was typically updating the same reports daily, which wouldn't take much time.

Disappointed after really understanding "the Xu"

ProsDataXu has many of the pros of a start-up. You can always find free food in the office and the fridge is stocked with beer. The environment is very casual office (jeans every day). Some really great people. The best referral bonus program I have ever seen.

ConsThe company is having a lot of growing pains. Many management & restructuring challenges (and too often - every 6 months). Satellite offices get neglected on company info but tend to have better cultures. HR department is lacking. Bullying has been allowed and rewarded with career advancement. Recently moved to an unlimited vacation policy with no warning before 2014 and screwed employees who rolled over time.

Also the start-up like environment is not for everyone and it can truly be a Xu / zoo.

Simply put I was initially really impressed with DataXu due to all the perks but after working here for over a year and uncovering what really goes on I'm really disappointed and concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue people not just numbers. Strive to not just run a profitable business, but a GREAT business.

Fun company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery smart people, fun culture, flexible hours and interesting work

ConsCompany direction, goals, lack of management communication

DataXu is great place to get valuable knowledge and experience for a jump to a better opportunity.

ProsDataXu is built on top of extremely smart people, and fosters great innovation and personal autonomy to get the most out of employees.

ConsDataXu could do better with fostering career growth for individuals. Compensation is good but could be more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people. A slight increase in compensation would attract a significant upgrade in talent, as well as retain current talent.

Good place, good people

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros-Professional co-workers who care about your involvement in the company and personal development
    -DX is doing really well, everyone there knows that the product is solid and that the outlook of the company is positive

Cons-Not a very integrated intern program, did not interact much with other interns

Worked for DataXu? Contribute to the Community!