DataXu Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.2
Mike Baker

Great company with even better people

Current Employee - Client Service Associate
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate

I have been working at DataXu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DataXu has completely exceeded my expectations. The work I do each day is new and exciting and I get to grow both professionally and personally just by working with some of the most intelligent, down-to-earth people I’ve ever met. I love the team atmosphere that DataXu has, no one will turn you away if you have a “quick” question or even a whole presentation to work through, they all really want to help each other out As a person who didn’t know much about programmatic marketing (even while being interviewed), I felt extremely intimated walking in my first week. For the first month, I felt like people were talking in a language I would never understand. Now, a year later, I am so happy and thankful to be a part of this fast-paced, challenging, increasingly popular industry. Even without the perks, (catered lunch, unlimited PTO, casual dress code, free snacks/drinks, free concerts, team outings, and summer/holiday company parties), DataXu would still be an amazing place to work because of the people and culture. Suffice it to say, I’m pretty lucky to call this my job.

Cons

The busy work for lower-level positions can be tedious at times, but you need to learn how to do those things before working your way up. The managers make sure that your work/life balance is at a good place and that you're not overwhelmed.

Great team. Great opportunities. Great company.

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I worked at DataXu

Pros

I worked at the Xu for 4 years and saw it grow from under 100 to more than 300 and it was one of the best professional experiences of my career. Brief background: the company operates in a rapidly growing, highly competitive market called Programmatic Marketing/Advertising - the use of data and machine algorithms to automate the buying and selling of advertising. Do it right and both advertisers and publishers get more value for their dollar. I worked in Marketing and had an opportunity to do some of everything - messaging, sales training, product marketing, blogging, customer presentations, public speaking, persona development, content campaigns, analyst relations, PR. It's a small enough company that there's always too much to do, so you never have to get bored. Along with such varied work, you get to work with diverse people. I spent significant time with data scientists writing algorithms, account specialists managing 6-figure advertising budgets, product managers trying to figure out what the market wants and needs. And what was extraordinary to me is how smart, open and collaborative almost all of these people were. (In fact, I can count on one finger the number of people I hated working with and that person is long gone.) This is truly a company that values its people and maintaining its innovative culture.

Cons

When I trained new hires, I would often describe the Xu as an adolescent - really mature in some ways, and still immature in others. If you are looking for stability - stability of role, of team, of company, or of market, this is NOT the place for you. Expect your quarterly goals to change multiple times within the quarter. Expect to have to complete jobs without the guard rails of process. Expect things to move slower than you expect, and then much faster than you can handle. Have a hard head, or develop one quickly as much head-meet-wall is to be expected.

Advice to Management

Focus! You can't do it all.

One of the top 5 companies in marketing in the world.

I have been working at DataXu full-time

Pros

Great market served in digital programmatic space . expected growth of 30+% per year. Is a technology leader here. True vision for the future of technology impacting marketing success and ROI for companies. Seasoned and capable leadership team. Welcoming and low key work environment, where people can work on their own and innovatingly. . Very smart people work here and I continue to learn alot each week. Inc. Magazine recently ranked it the fastest growing company in the US in marketing

Cons

Not enough women in exec positions. Growth pains exist on hiring, resulting in heavy, but interesting work loads. competition is getting more intense in our market, and product differentiation is challenging for engineering and product teams. Pay is middle of the market, not great, but stock plan is generous.

Advice to Management

Hire faster, add more women to senior management.

5. Dynamic Growth Oriented - Make your own way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at DataXu (Less than a year)

Pros

DataXu is a dynamic company that operates in a complicated ad tech market environment. The culture makes it a good place to work. The leaders are accessible, the workplace is fun and vibrant. If you are willing to put yourself out there and seize opportunity, you will be rewarded with the freedom to do and change things. It's certainly possible to just sit back and do your job here. But if you're willing to step up, the sky's the limit in terms of what you can achieve. CEO and leadership embrace ideas from all levels. If it's a good idea, we do it. That's hard to beat.

Cons

It's not perfect, no place is. DataXu operates at a million miles per hour sometimes. You have to be ready and willing for that.

One of the best places I have worked in my 10 year career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at DataXu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative and collaborative environment Employees are empowered Sr. Management is approachable Great technology Lots of communication (monthly company meetings, weekly newsletters, etc.) Great Boston location Great perks (unlimited PTO, free snacks/drinks, free lunch 1X per week)

Cons

Lots to do with perhaps not enough resources in some areas Cut throat industry Sometimes it feels like there are some employees who are more negative than others and I worry that they will negatively influence those of us who are happy to be on the DataXu team

Advice to Management

more focus on inspiring our people across the board

Innovative tech with great peers

I have been working at DataXu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Smart and innovative people *sophisticated and experienced management *cool tech *growing market

Cons

*competitive market *lack of brand awareness *need clearer direction from management

Advice to Management

Provide clearer direction and more access to your teams

I really liked DataXu but it had a serious flaw

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at DataXu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people (including management) and lots of opportunities. Some people may feel intimidated by Mike but you can (or at least I was able to, as an engineer) have conversations with him and talk about ideas. Same can be said for lots of top management/founders. Company had a friendly atmosphere and a lot of drive and initiatives to get things done. There were plenty of opportunities (at least they used to) and people were given chances (after they proved themselves, like anywhere else). They do try to treat employees well (except for the major flaw)

Cons

DataXu (at least engineering) never figured out a sustainable fast pace. This resulted in high burn out and reputation in the engineering community. DataXu was interested in hiring people from companies that I later moved to and lots of engineers of various levels came to me and asked about it. I described my experience (mostly good with one serious flaw) but with a note that this was at earlier times and things could be different. But every single person came back and told me that other people who have left recently (or people who work there) said the same thing. Within the past month, several former DataXu employees (left within the several months) at various levels said things (directly or through other friends) that things haven't changed.

Advice to Management

There are lots of great things about this company. I enjoyed my time working with people at DataXu and I hope you will appreciate and keep that part. The important thing I learned is that we can achieve more by doing less. While it is very tempting to look at people who are willing to devote their life to work and promote and use them to drive others, they don't represent the population. They can (and they probably are) set you back from growing a healthy organization that will attract the talent you need hire (and retain).

Absolutely FANTASTIC Company

Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at DataXu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start-up atmosphere at a young company; free food Fridays; Friday happy hour; free snacks; friendly faces; lenient work from home days; unlimited vacation time

Cons

None at all I don't have a single complaint about this company

Advice to Management

None

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at DataXu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great up and coming company. Creative and collaborative work atmosphere. Extremely smart individuals are employed by DataXu. Many fun employee perks - video games, free snacks, catered Friday lunches, weekly happy hours, and more. Mike Baker is a great CEO and is very approachable to all level employees. This company is shooting for the stars!

Cons

Somewhat disorganized, but what start up isn't?

Advice to Management

Keep making your employee feel valued and happy!

Career Dev yes, great culture no

Former Employee - Client Services in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Client Services in Boston, MA

I worked at DataXu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Great career dev; for the most part they really did not want to lose people and were willing to negotiate, ***always*** +Growing company in a growing industry +New product releases all the time + I really liked a lot of the people and made some great friends here +Offices all over and good benefits/perks meant a relaxed travel schedule

Cons

- Culture, esp in satellite offices, suffers a lot - Work here for career dev/resume building/basic business-skill-building, but there are enough bureaucratic annoyances and cultural missteps that I did not feel comfortable recommending the company to friends when I was there (that said, a lot of my friends are still there and doing fine!) - Company felt very split between entry/associate level and executives.

Advice to Management

It's been a year, but I think the focus is still on paying people to stay at the company rather than making it somewhere people want to keep working. Focusing on making the company better rather than just keeping up with the industry product-wise will probably have a better long-term effect!

RSS Feed </> Embed