DataXu

3.8

Mike Baker

Smart, Fun and Challenging Company

I have been working at DataXu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

DataXu is an exciting and most of all challenging place to work. People here are smart, driven, down to earth and most of all approachable. From the first person you meet from the HR department all the way up to the office of the CEO. Due to the fast growing nature of the programmatic marketing industry, the company itself, and the marketing world in general it can seem at times that DataXu is trying to constantly correct course. Although this perception may be reality it's the nature of the game and some can handle the change and some cannot. If you want a boring company where every day is the same this is not the place for you. If you like to learn, be challenged on your thinking and be humbled on occasion then you will fit in, be trusted and succeed on a career and personal level.

Cons

As stated above if you want a status quo job without constant change do NOT work here. Management has made very good decisions but also regularly makes mistakes as well. I do not take this as a negative but more as a part of a growing and fairly young business. This is what keeps it interesting in my opinion. As said in other reviews, the CEO does have a "get things done" mentality which some people can handle and some just cannot. If you don't move fast here, you will get trampled. As stated mistakes are made but they are quick to correct and admit accountability if needed. The CEO seems to be super smart, experienced and has great instinct but I also get a sense that he is learning along the way as well. People that choose to leave here I perceive as having a hard time dealing with the bumpiness in the "road" but if you focus and are confident in yourself you will succeed.

I think the comments on the CEO getting involved with all aspects of the company are true, however I think sometimes that is exactly what is needed. In my experience all CEO's tend to do this. It is WHY they are CEO's. That being said, at DataXu some unfortunate management hires have been made which ultimately falls on the CEO's shoulders. In some instances they have made corrections to these hires and in others bad eggs are still around. Unfortunately, this is the dynamic in many companies and can't always be avoided. The comments in other reviews about executives leaving the company disgruntled is not exactly the truth. Some have left on their own but many just proved to not be the right fit for a very nuanced and ever changing company and industry. If you are smart, do your job well and command respect you will be happy here. I think management is doing the best they can and I think the employees that stick around will be happy with their contributions to a company that in my opinion is definitely going somewhere. Even with the constant ups and downs.

Strength to strength

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at DataXu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DataXu is a strong company poised for success. You see our awards when you first walk in the door: top of the Inc 500 and CEO of the Year from Ernst & Young. You feel it in the many perks the company gives its employees. You hear it from our exceptional leadership team.

People often struggle in strong companies. Why? Because fast paced companies are not for everyone. I don't think we should apologize for that. Some people have left. If you look around, were those the winners? As leaders, we need to do more of what's working and do less of what's not working. That means we have to part ways with people sometimes. That doesn't mean they're bad people. We wish them well. And it wouldn't be fair to them to publicize their failings. Everyone knows why people leave and even though they might not tell you, employees know the winners are all still here.

Many of the other reviews have captured our CEO well. "Visionary" is the word that best describes him. He has the entrepreneurial ability to see around corners and the track record to prove it. You don't become CEO and chairman of a great company like DataXu if you're not a world class CEO. You don't win CEO of the Year from Ernst & Young. You don't count the most powerful CMO's in the world as friends.

But we shouldn't put everything on the CEO. He is supported by an outstanding leadership team and great employees throughout our global offices.

Cons

Do we work hard at DataXu? Yes. Are there sometimes bumps as we go from the jungle to the pavement to the highway? Yes. Is DataXu for everyone? No. Should we apologize for that? No.

DataXu has ushered incredible disruption into the ad ecosystem, leveraging data and analytics to automate all kinds of marketing decisions -- all at the speed of life. If you're ready to join MIT rocket scientists with a visionary CEO, DataXu is the place for you.

Even a world class leadership team can improve. Don't look to the CEO for leadership on everything. You are empowered. Take charge. Don't be afraid to take risks. You need to do your part too.

High energy, Fast pace, Smart people

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at DataXu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is always ready to take the next step and stay ahead of the curve. The leadership is easy to approach, and they encourage employees to come up with ideas that can shape the company's future. A great example is the "innovation day". Twice a year, the company holds an innovation day where employees are allowed to come up with ideas, present it to other employees and the leadership, and develop it further into something that the company uses. Of course, employees are encouraged to innovate as part of their day-to-day work.

The company has also managed to successfully avoid petty politics. All teams come together and work as a unit, and not against each other.

Other small perks also help make the workdays enjoyable - free snacks and coffee, free lunch on Friday, frequent socials, tuition reimbursement for career development, great benefits

Cons

Communication is a bit of an issue. Policy changes are announced all of a sudden. The company is going through the transition from being a startup to a more medium-sized business. Some things that worked great as a startup don't work as well and need to be re-thought. With multiple teams working on a project and many teams working remotely, communication is not as smooth as possible.

Innovative, exciting, and fast paced work environment!

I have been working at DataXu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

DataXu is a great company that I am proud to say I work for. My co-workers are some of the most intelligent individuals that I have ever met and the technology that they produce is mind blowing! Very competitive pay and benefits are offered to employees. There is a great culture in the Boston office with many perks such as free snacks/drinks, catered lunches on Fridays, Happy Hours, and more.

The CEO is definitely leading the company in the right direction. He is very approachable and even takes the time to meet with new employees during their new hire orientation session. He is a very articulate and passionate about the technology that DataXu produces. I have faith that he is the right person to be leading this company at such an important time of growth.

Despite a few competitors in the market, DataXu is poised to stay on top due to the hard working employees and great leadership team!

Cons

The company is experiencing some growing pains, but it's nothing that should take anything away from this great place to work!

Keep up the great work! There are only good things to come at DataXu!

Great People & Perks, Lots of Excel

Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at DataXu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people that work at this company are awesome--lot's of diversity! Generous bonus program based on performance. The training has gotten a lot better as they move out of the start-up phase. Very fair compensation. Unlimited time-off and flexible work hours (usually 9am-5pm). Company catered lunch every Friday and free beer starting at 5pm! Definitely a very positive start-up atmosphere with collegiate vibes.

Cons

The work isn't the most interesting stuff in the world. They work with a lot of big name clients, which makes things exciting. However, the actual day to day of the position involves a lot of tedious work in Excel. Although things become more exciting the higher you climb and there is a lot of potential for growth at this company!

A house of cards

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at DataXu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DataXu hires eager, motivated and talented employees. The technical problems are very interesting (this is truly a "big data" company) and the company uses the latest cloud technologies. It's a great place to learn the state-of-the-art in ad tech and AWS.

Cons

DataXu is led by an inexperienced CEO whose philosophy is "get (stuff) done." In practice, this means half-building products, selling features that don't exist, understaffing across the board, changing marketing strategy weekly, ignoring professional development and staff morale, and generally creating a terrific mess of a company.

Back in 2009 - 2011, DataXu kept up with the competition and, in such a fast growing market, these sins were swept under the rug. Since then, however, the company has fallen farther and farther behind its competitors as it can't build on its shaky foundation. Rather than bringing in professionals to fix the company, the CEO has pushed them out and brought his micromanagement insanity to new areas -- he took over the CRO and CMO roles in 2013!

Seeing the writing on the wall, many senior leaders have left in the past year, including three C-level execs, an SVP and three VPs. Not to mention high turnover in the rank and file. The more people leave, the more pain is heaped on those who are left. Hours are long and the work gets more thankless as customers are frustrated, the technology breaks and good employees are overloaded.

It's sad to see a company in a great market with talented and dedicated employees undermined by one person. But that's what you get at DataXu.

Make a change at the top. Bring in an experienced CEO who knows how to build quality companies. And then wait. It will take a long time to rebuild.

Great company with some interesting challenges

I have been working at DataXu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

DataXu has an exciting vibe, is well known in the industry and has some extremely talented people.

Cons

Large turn over in some teams have led to a certain lack of focus and management. Unnecessary red tape sometimes reminds one of Office Space. Surprising amount of big company BS for a startup.

Restrict the number of meetings. Host more tech meetups and encourage technical discussion across teams.

Great company to work for

I have been working at DataXu full-time

Pros

* Industry growth and culture
    * Challenging problems

Cons

* Can be chaotic at times

Nice place to work (skewed a little older though)

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at DataXu as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I really like the freedom I had working here, I was able to work on some really cool and exciting projects and the structure allows you to talk to a bunch of different people at different levels of the company

Cons

I thought the people working here were a little bit more family focused although I'm sure that's nice if you're not in your 20s

Disappointed

I have been working at DataXu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great technology with a lot of money behind it.

Cons

The eagerness to go IPO has created a less then desirable working environment. Most offices have very low morale, incredibly high turn-over in recent months, constant restructuring and a CEO who wants to have his hand in every department...including running the day-to-day activities of both sales and marketing. Benefits are being cut without warning and it generally feels like a "penny-wise, pound foolish" approach.

DataXu Photos