Datacard Reviews

Great experience

Current Employee - Field Service
    Current Employee - Field Service

I have been working at Datacard full-time

Pros

Great company to gain experience in the field,New adventures everyday never the same,Good culture,positive people to work with in company

Cons

No upward mobility because of field service all depends on how big customer is in area,Very little perks basic health benefits etc like any other company.Vacation time/work balance sometime can be difficult.

Invest in younger employees who have ambition and knowledge,creat paths for upward mobility for all postions

Wonderful company that is dedicated to employee development.

I have been working at Datacard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Datacard has a competitive benefit and salary package. The corporate culture promotes collaboration and teamwork. At Datacard, you the employee can advance your skills by taking the initiative, asking questions, and adding value.

Cons

It can be a challenge moving from an associate level to managerial level because the organization is flat.

Allow employees to move up within their bands to allow for potential growth.

Great products, great employees, great customers

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Datacard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The technology - putting information on plastic cards is complex that blends a lot of different types of engineering including chemical, mechanical, electrical, firmware and software.
    Hard work pays off in both compensation and job satisfaction.
    Note: glassdoor lists my last year of employment as 2010, but it really was 2003. glassdoor did not allow me to enter years prior to 2010.

Cons

Worked there from 1981 through 2003. There was turnover in CEOs and upper management that caused major changes in strategy. That seems to have settled down in the past 10 years.

Continue to hire good people, and keep them working there.

Benefits alone aren't enough

I worked at Datacard full-time

Pros

Benefits good ... growing market

Cons

Salary below the market ... management not clear on what they want and dismissive of experience. A real culture of clique

Wouldn't listen

Very bad work culture

I have been working at Datacard

Pros

No pros

Cons

No planning before starting any project. Feel exploited.

Stressful at times. Could be better.

I have been working at Datacard full-time

Pros

It's a great place to work when people are working together. time-off policies are good. Vacation is good for employees and Datacard grants more vacation days as a perk of being with the company for many years.

Cons

There can be a lot of separation going on between departments. Too much pressure from upper management to push a product that those working are stressed and frustrated. Listen to the employees when times get stressful.

Have managers recognize talent within their team and promote more often. If not, talent will feel under appreciated and leave.

It was a good starting company

I worked at Datacard full-time

Pros

I have worked there for less than 5 years. The time I was there was good and the people I worked with was good too. Even though they were good, they are a lot of traditional minded. It was the first job I actually don't mind waking up very early in the morning to go to work. Working early and getting out by mid-day actually gives me a more time to errands for the rest of the day.

Cons

Since they are traditional it is hard to change their mind to do everything. Of course, there are too many VP as other reviews mentioned.

My department was good. Nothing to complain here.

marketing specialist

I have been working at Datacard

Pros

work-life balance, leadership, training, benefits, manager

Cons

, none, none, none, none, None

Free Agency company; no draft and develop here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Datacard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Datacard was my team prior to the hiring of an awful individual. Also there is a bonus mid-year that was nice.

Cons

- Their IT department purchases Lenovos.
    - Rather than promote someone internally for a position that would take minimal work to shift them into, they hire from outside without considering the possibility, thus stranding people who work hard and giving them no room for advancement. There is no thought given to skill level or potential or education, just years of experience. I was after one such position that they gave to a guy who lied in his interview; he was fired at his previous position and received no consequence when management found out.
    - The bonus is based on performance. Fine. Your performance doesn't matter. You have to literally cause tectonic plates to shift or find a way to double their annual revenue to get an "above-average" rating. They hate giving out a bonus higher than "average".
    - The management is poor. I went to my manager with a problem about a co-worker (severe harassment and zero team participation) and wasn't responded to. No consequences were doled, no meeting was held, nothing. So I took it to my exit interview. I was told "this is very concerning information" (I had many OBVIOUS examples of things one should be fired for doing) and "we'll definitely follow up with the manager," but the manager in question will do everything he can to make sure everything is fine and that the hiring decision he made looks good to pull off a CYA. I know for a fact the guy still works there as of this writing 6+ months later.
    - They compensate behind market standards. The most tiring Datacard lie is that they pay "at market averages". This is why they are only an average company to work for. There is no motivation to work hard because there is no reward for doing so. Managers are allowed to give out individual rewards to show appreciation for project work or even good attitudes. In Customer Service (the seemingly only fun-ish dept in the building), there would be a new certificate hung up at least once a month, indicating that the bonus tied to it had been given to the employee; a nice slap on the butt. Good game. In my dept? Didn't happen in the two years I was there. I got a raise after a year and a half, sure, but it was a slap in the face. I took a job 6 months later making $12k in addition to my raise.
    - They don't care about their people. It's all business and money. I was asked multiple times what I "wanted out of my job" and I replied every time with "to learn skills that will further my career." I offered specific ideas about how to make this happen, like shadowing individuals for a day or taking training (which was offered to my team, but not to me). There was never time, I was told. If you don't invest in your people, don't expect them to improve or stick around.
    - Later in my review, when you see that the business will do better over the next 6 months, it's because it will do so on the broken backs of its weary staff.

- Pay for good talent.
    - Recognize achievement.
    - Promote from within.
    - Invest in your staff; provide them real, valuable opportunities for professional development.
    - Enforce basic workplace policies regarding harassment.
    - Hold middle management accountable.
    - Listen to your employees.
    - Care more about your employees than your BMW.
    - Find a new healthcare plan. $500/mo. even for a family plan is crazy.

My Job Life at DCC

Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Datacard full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Successful Company, good benefits and pay, generally deal with fairly with employees, good profit sharing, decent

Cons

I was treated well, however I'm aware of other older workers that were not treated so well when they represented a potential large insurance cost to the employer