Datalink

Datalink Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014

Datalink President, CEO, and Director Paul F. Lidsky

Paul F. Lidsky

Company going through growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosexcellent work life balance workplace. Great group of engineers.

Constoo many products offerings. You can become a jack of all trades but master of none.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Metrics driven and an on your own attitude.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDatalink has a large portfolio of products and services to sell with some of the premier OEMs. It can be a great place to be especially if you are in the Mid-west. The company has shown growth quarter over quarter and has a strong managed services offering.

ConsDatalink has stringent forecasting requirements for a non-OEM along with a constant awareness of how reps are stack ranked within the organization. Management demonstrates a confrontational style as opposed to a collaborative style in sales meetings, quarterly business reviews and other internal sales related interactions. Datalink puts much of the onus on the reps for new business growth with scant resources to achieve that growth.

You're on your own

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay was higher than average for entry-level. Introduction to enterprise solutions.

ConsSend you to training for a week, then expect you to know everything. There is no help for new hires. You have to do support over phone; there is not remote support. Constant boredom driven by frustration. Internal culture is terrible; employees complained about how bad it was on my first day. One-call is not a real support solution. Nobody cares. Nobody had any actual interest in technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pigeonhole talent. 3% pay increases are not motivating factors for long-term employment; there needs to be a career path within the company. Don't support solutions that you can't support.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Successful focus

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent leadership. It is refreshing to experience the results of authenticity ... actions that follow words. Customers love Datalink .... employees love Datalink ... partners love Datalink ... Why? Simple ... authenticity ... ethical behavior as cornerstone of culture ... There is no wavering from true north principles for this company. Very refreshing indeed from all the companies that do waver. It's great to see the investment community recognize this as well as is evidenced from the stock increase in double digits.

ConsNone at this time, thank you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focus on strategy that has employee investment at forefront

One of the best places to work in Minnesota

ProsIf you are familiar with one of the technologies that Datalink has oversold and under-delivered on qualified employees to actually work on that technology you are gold, gold Jerry...

ConsSometimes it take Datalink a while to comprehend that employees are working a side job on Datalink's dime but in the end that all sorts itself out...

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep doin' what you're doin'!

It was Ok...

Solutions Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits, flexibility in work location

Consvery strong in storage business. not so strong outside of the core NetApp / Hitachi Data Systems business.

Advice to Senior Managementhold all employees accountable to the vision you are presenting.

Hard Charging, Growing Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent opportunities to work with IT Technologies and highly skilled professionals in the Engineering ranks.

They spend money to make money...opportunities for travel and conference attendance are abundant.

You are given a lot of responsibility but also a lot of leeway to be successful.

ConsDatalink "motivates" mostly through negative reinforcement.

Going through growing pains in the services organizations.

Had a whacky revenue recognition model that impacted bonues and commission schedules.

Aggressively growing company with a sink or swim approach to employees.

ProsAt Datalink, we are fairly independent in terms of how we manage our business as Account Executives. Management lets us develop our own clientele, pipeline and drive business activities.

ConsWith the independence comes little help in the way of lead generation, marketing support, or sales campaigns. Datalink assumes each individual can grow their business on their own yet keeps a lions share of the profit on deals done

Amazing Company and Talent

Solutions Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe people you work with are true ROCKSTARS. These guys are the best of the best at what they do. When vendors you are dealing with come to you as a reseller for your engineer's technical knowledge you know you are a ROCKSTAR.

ConsThe onboarding process and coming up to speed is a little lacking but still not as bad as I have seen elsewhere.

Great Work Life Balance

ProsBest thing I love about this company is work/life balance. They "get it". The company knows how to keep satisfied employees.

ConsThe only con is that the company is growing so fast that new hires have to hit the ground running. They do an awesome job of hiring talent and do invest heavily into their workforce. So the better they can serve new hires and get them up to speed the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Worked for Datalink? Contribute to the Community!