Datalink Reviews

Updated August 8, 2014
3.2

Datalink President, CEO, and Director Paul F. Lidsky
Paul F. Lidsky

Good company, but not without its challenges

I have been working at Datalink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Work/Life Balance
    -Solid Benefit Plan
    -Great peer support

Cons

-Lack of training program
    -Work with very large egos
    -Co-workers can be unfriendly -- many people walk right by you without acknowledgement
    -Bonus program is weakening
    -Cut-throat line of work

Company going through growing pains

I worked at Datalink full-time

Pros

excellent work life balance workplace. Great group of engineers.

Cons

too many products offerings. You can become a jack of all trades but master of none.

none

Metrics driven and an on your own attitude.

I worked at Datalink

Pros

Datalink has a large portfolio of products and services to sell with some of the premier OEMs. It can be a great place to be especially if you are in the Mid-west. The company has shown growth quarter over quarter and has a strong managed services offering.

Cons

Datalink has stringent forecasting requirements for a non-OEM along with a constant awareness of how reps are stack ranked within the organization. Management demonstrates a confrontational style as opposed to a collaborative style in sales meetings, quarterly business reviews and other internal sales related interactions. Datalink puts much of the onus on the reps for new business growth with scant resources to achieve that growth.

You're on your own

I worked at Datalink full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was higher than average for entry-level. Introduction to enterprise solutions.

Cons

Send you to training for a week, then expect you to know everything. There is no help for new hires. You have to do support over phone; there is not remote support. Constant boredom driven by frustration. Internal culture is terrible; employees complained about how bad it was on my first day. One-call is not a real support solution. Nobody cares. Nobody had any actual interest in technology.

Don't pigeonhole talent. 3% pay increases are not motivating factors for long-term employment; there needs to be a career path within the company. Don't support solutions that you can't support.

Successful focus

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Datalink full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent leadership. It is refreshing to experience the results of authenticity ... actions that follow words. Customers love Datalink .... employees love Datalink ... partners love Datalink ... Why? Simple ... authenticity ... ethical behavior as cornerstone of culture ... There is no wavering from true north principles for this company. Very refreshing indeed from all the companies that do waver. It's great to see the investment community recognize this as well as is evidenced from the stock increase in double digits.

Cons

None at this time, thank you.

Continue focus on strategy that has employee investment at forefront

One of the best places to work in Minnesota

I have been working at Datalink

Pros

If you are familiar with one of the technologies that Datalink has oversold and under-delivered on qualified employees to actually work on that technology you are gold, gold Jerry...

Cons

Sometimes it take Datalink a while to comprehend that employees are working a side job on Datalink's dime but in the end that all sorts itself out...

Just keep doin' what you're doin'!

It was Ok...

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer

I worked at Datalink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits, flexibility in work location

Cons

very strong in storage business. not so strong outside of the core NetApp / Hitachi Data Systems business.

hold all employees accountable to the vision you are presenting.

Hard Charging, Growing Company

I worked at Datalink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to work with IT Technologies and highly skilled professionals in the Engineering ranks.

They spend money to make money...opportunities for travel and conference attendance are abundant.

You are given a lot of responsibility but also a lot of leeway to be successful.

Cons

Datalink "motivates" mostly through negative reinforcement.

Going through growing pains in the services organizations.

Had a whacky revenue recognition model that impacted bonues and commission schedules.

Aggressively growing company with a sink or swim approach to employees.

I have been working at Datalink

Pros

At Datalink, we are fairly independent in terms of how we manage our business as Account Executives. Management lets us develop our own clientele, pipeline and drive business activities.

Cons

With the independence comes little help in the way of lead generation, marketing support, or sales campaigns. Datalink assumes each individual can grow their business on their own yet keeps a lions share of the profit on deals done

Amazing Company and Talent

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Datalink full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are true ROCKSTARS. These guys are the best of the best at what they do. When vendors you are dealing with come to you as a reseller for your engineer's technical knowledge you know you are a ROCKSTAR.

Cons

The onboarding process and coming up to speed is a little lacking but still not as bad as I have seen elsewhere.