Datameer Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Stefan Groschupf

Datameer, so hot right now!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Datameer is the industry leader in big data and our leadership, operational, HR, sales, marketing, engineering, communications, finance, and administrative teams are upper echelon. It's a vibrant company with a lot of exciting milestones to come and it gives our employees the chance to work with the biggest companies in the world.

Cons

It's a growing company with growing pains, but that's why we are hiring smart and talented people to help solve these problems as we grow.

Never worked for a company with such high churn/turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees & good product

Cons

I've never worked for a company with such high churn/turnover. People are leaving every month, including management/VP level. In order to offset this, HR is trying to hire left & right by not thoroughly interviewing and just picking the next person that applies. It's so ridiculous who they are hiring these days. HR is not thinking this through.

Advice to Management

Fix the churn/turnover!! Please sympathize with the employees. My experience with upper management (including CEO) is a very demotivating & rude one. Respect your employees & listen to them. Don't just beat them down and tell them "this is wrong"

Good product and people, but....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Datameer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good group of people to work with, very little in the way of politics. Anyone who slacks off or is just incompetent gets let go, so everyone is expected to pull their weight. Food and drinks provided. Good product in a hot space, stands up well against new competitors and established companies.

Cons

Not much to say other than what many other reviews on the company have already stated. CEO needs to allow more freedom & flexibility to employees so they can be happy and successful. Equity stake is not enough to motivate people and deal with the working conditions and lack of freedom at the company, so turnover is quite high. Company divided between US and Germany, not the ideal situation for any company much less a startup.

Datameer Response

May 13, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad to see you appreciate our low politics, high energy/accountability environment. I also hear your feedback about flexibility and admit that it is challenging to ... More

5. So far So Good!!!

Current Employee - Contract Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People are smart and easy to get along with. The office is small enough so that it feels warm and inviting People are engaged and invite you to join in with various activities If you don't know something, you feel comfortable asking; it's an open learning environment The leadership team is open to new ideas and is very involved Pet friendly office Easy to get to (good location) I feel that there is room to grow and be recognized for your hard work.

Cons

Benefits and perks are nice, but nothing spectacular Work life balance seems possible but being on-site is very important to the CEO, so WFH option isn't a given. Start-up companies often require their employees to adapt and be nimble, which isn't for everyone. Parking can be a little tedious at times

6. Innovative Unique Product and best of all Awesome People!

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Datameer is such an innovative company, I work with a lot of smart, talented and passionate people. Datameer has an amazing product that is very unique to the big data space. It has received a lot of traction in the news recently. We just moved offices and the location in San Francisco is close to BART and being on the 4th floor we have an amazing view of the city! Light, bright and airy! This is also an organization where they tend to recognize and promote within. I have seen several people in the sales and engineering department move up and around. Even their inside sales reps there is a career path and they can move into field sales. Virtually unheard of at my last organization.

Cons

Being a startup, sometimes certain projects take more time with work/life balance, but it is not all the time and what you do here, you can really see a difference and how it impacts business!

Advice to Management

Keep up with the innovation of the product. Recognize hard workers and be willing to be flexible with employees.

Datameer Response

Oct 6, 2014 – Senior Recruiter

Thank you for your kind words! We love to hear about how much you love working at Datameer and do strive to make this company the best to work at in Big Data. We do appreciate your input!

Always learning something new in a exploding technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Datameer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunity to make a difference - Lean product with lots of potential - Great, smart, hard working people willing to help each other succeed - Lots of visibility on where company is heading - Generous benefits - Numerous career opportunities.

Cons

- Not an environment to warm up a seat every day. - As a fast growing company, lots of challenges keeping internal systems organized (Growing pains). - Need to trim some fat from product and focus on things Datameer is good at.

Advice to Management

Fast growing companies need great people to take things to next level. Need to invest more resources to attract and maintain great people. Also, as a growing global company, communication challenges need to be addressed by adopting better collaboration tools.

Great company in an incredible market space.

I have been working at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Exploding market space - Intelligent and hard working team - Great product that has backing by an impressive list of Fortune companies (including a few that have also decided to invest in the company)

Cons

- Lacking the publicity of some of the bigger players

Brutal culture, tough environment to work in.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Solving an interesting problem with exciting technology, big data is a huge area of upside and some of the tier one venture capitalists have taken notice. Datameer is in a space that is growing rapidly.

Cons

Nothing gets done without the CEO approval. Lot's of bullying and talking down to people. Isolated office space, no one communicates with each other. Lack of interesting perspectives or ideas, unless of course it comes from the CEO. Several people have left due to the brutal and unforgiving culture.

Advice to Management

delegate decisions, trust your people, and hire nicer people.

10. Great product, people and customers

I have been working at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is extremely effective in small to large organizations. And the most successful companies continue to use the product year after year. People are smart, hard-working, creative and fun to work with.

Cons

Unlike at some companies, you need to focus and get things done. If you prefer to come up with ideas and not follow through, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and empower your employees as you grow the company.

11. Great product, customers and people

I have been working at Datameer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is extremely effective, and the biggest, most successful companies continue to use the product year after year. Dynamic, hard-working, create and smart people that are fun to work with.

Cons

Unlike some companies, this is a place you need to execute. So you need to enjoy what you're doing and stay focused on results. If you like to pontificate and not do the work, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and continue to grow existing employees

RSS Feed </> Embed