Dataprise Reviews

Updated March 13, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
4.0
David E. Eisner

Pros
  • Opportunity to advance and learn new skills: I have learned so many in my time here and have experienced a great deal of professional growth (in 4 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn new technologies (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains (but that is also a pro) (in 6 reviews)

• Frequent travel between client-sites means lunch can sometimes be tough to get for field engineers (in 4 reviews)

1. A good and progressive experience so far..

Current Employee - Network Consultant
    Current Employee - Network Consultant

I have been working at Dataprise full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Availability of skilled and expert resources.
    Bonus Incentive for hard working and self motivated individuals.
    A lot of hands on learning opportunities with tool and technologies.
    Incentive to get certified.

Cons

*Procedures and policies are in place but it does not look like anyone is following or even paying attention to it. Which causes lot of confusion and adds unnecessary complexity to even a simple task.

Advice to Management

TSMs and the clients seem to have a long communication gap. Often times clients are surprised that there is someone above their primary engineer and that the expect PE to be one stop guy for all the answers. TSMs needs to reach out to the clients more often and communicate with them in frequent basis. There were times when clients literally forgot that TSMs existed.

2. Working with Dataprise has been memorable and fascinating.

I have been working at Dataprise

Pros

Great benefits, hands on training, very competitive pay rates.

Cons

not for the lazy or the weak!

Feb 16, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback! We are glad to hear you're enjoying your time with us so far and hope that continues. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

3. 1 month in and loving it so far!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Dataprise

Pros

Everyone has made my transition great, the people are friendly, and new challenges every day.

Cons

applicant tracking system is fairly older, but manageable.

5. Very open and straight forward

I have been working at Dataprise full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very straight forward, offer great benefits and growing opportunities. They have a very streamlined process of working. People specifically for scheduling, hiring and techs of many specialties, which gives a great network to ask upon in case there is something you're stuck on

Cons

PTO accrual is a little strange, once you hit your max, you no longer accrue anymore (if you can accrue 15 days, you stay at 15 days until you use some) and dont pay out for unused days

Advice to Management

Still learning the company but I have heard certain things from people giving ideas on how to make processes easier, so would just be the take them seriously, because there have been some good ideas.

Feb 6, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear you are enjoying your time at Dataprise so far and hope that continues! I wanted to clarify that you DO get paid out for unpaid PTO days (up to ... More

6. 3 Months in...

I have been working at Dataprise full-time (less than a year)

Pros

So I started mid October as a Network Consultant - I came from another MSP and its fast paced here just how I like it - I'd be bored if it wasn't. Plenty of opporunities for bonus, my manager is awesome ! If you haven't worked for an MSP before, you are in for a STEEP learning curve. This place is full throttle all the time but if you think thats a bad thing then you are in the wrong game - no free rides at Dataprise and that is exactly how it should be !

Cons

This place is BIG and some processes as a result can be a little cumbersome compared to what I was used to coming from a smaller MSP - its a negative in one respect but in another, very little falls between the cracks due to thorough processes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing - Been really impressed by the attitude and ethos of Senior Management. I was expecting when I joined with the size of the company that Senior management might "sit in their ivory tower" counting their money and surveying their domain but they are at ground level making sure they know exactly what is going on - Keep it going !

Jan 19, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

Thank you for the positive feedback! We are glad to hear you are happy at Dataprise so far and hope that continues. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to make sure your ... More

7. Sometimes Exciting, often Mundane

I worked at Dataprise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked on both the help-desk and in the field. You will be exposed to a lot of technologies and be faced with many challenges. When I worked there I really had a great time with my colleagues and with the challenges I received. Policies were easy to figure out and leadership was quick to respond to concerns. Most of the clients were pretty flexible. The large clients with FTEs were exciting and had several interesting projects to work on.

Bonuses for exceeding billable targets were great, but if you didn't get the right clients it's not possible to hit them.

Cons

Most of the clients are small businesses with small footprints and small needs. The work for them isn't interesting and you're essentially giving an office manager a warm and fuzzy feeling once a month. Some of the clients are very high maintenance and high intensity and can be frustrating to work with (they don't follow your suggestions, do their own thing and then you get hung out to dry when it doesn't work, management faults you for it...it's a rock+hard place for management). Most employees will be traveling IT professionals, visiting sometimes 3 clients a day that you won't see but once a month, this is a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for.

Chances are you won't get to work on too much exciting new software, most of the clients were small and low budget.

The biggest con for me was that performance appraisals and salary actions were haphazard and unstructured. I had to remind management and fight for every one and fight for my actions because they wouldn't happen otherwise.

Advice to Management

Formalize your assessment process, if you haven't since I've left.

Feb 2, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

Hello - thank you for providing your feedback; it is very much appreciated. We are glad to hear you had an overall positive experience with Dataprise and have already made some significant changes to ... More

Could be better. Could be worse!

Current Employee - Global Support Desk Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Global Support Desk Engineer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Dataprise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Depending on your position, there is a vast amount of things you can learn with Dataprise. Granted, some people get trapped in the "White label" position, where they are concentrated on proprietary software that has no way of helping them in the future (Especially due to the non-compete), but aside from that, we touch many things at Dataprise, and it's absolutely your own fault if you leave not knowing more than you did when you started.

They pay for certifications, which is a plus. You can fail once, and they'll pay for a retake.

There is potential growth - don't let any of these reviews tell you there aren't. Sure, many people are turned down. But there is absolutely a promote-from-within culture at Dataprise.

All of the employees are wonderful. It's like having a second family. They throw parties, they drink, they go out to eat, and everyone is ready and willing to help you, for the most part.

The management, for the most part, are nice. That being said, is that a good part of being a manager? Not so much. But they're nice. Very easy to get along with. Don't make the best decisions in my opinion, but who says I'm right?

Cons

There is an extreme lack of organization within Dataprise. There are many sides to it, but I'll touch on the most pertinent ones.

Documentation. So much documentation is left undone. I need to get onto a client server, and have no idea where, how, or which server to get on, because the primary engineer didn't bother to update the documentation, a fault which I imagine would get put on the heads of the TSMs. Past that, there is very little documentation for the "White label" proprietary software. Ad-libbing will only get you so far when you can't see the software you're supposed to be helping to troubleshoot, and that's unfair to the customer.

Scheduling. This is twofold. For one, they will change your schedule at will. On the one hand, I agree that that is their right, and that they need what they need when they need it, good business, and all that. But it's unfair to the employee, and lowers morale. Secondly, whoever is in charge of keeping track of employee schedules and days off has a bit to learn. I've come into work and told my boss that I'm going to be off the next day, and he looks at me confused, as if he didn't know. Come to find out they somehow forgot about the vacation I requested three months ago, and hadn't scheduled a replacement for those two days. I appreciate that you can forget, but that's something that needs to be improved.

Computers. For god's sake, we are a TECHNOLOGY COMPANY. You would think that we would have an AWESOME infrastructure and AWESOME computers, but somehow, instead, we have crummy i3 laptops (That have since been upgraded to 80GB of RAM and 120GB SSDs, but we still don't have docks and have to run 2-3 monitors off the Intel HD Graphics 3000 onboard card) that are more functional than they were but still not that great, and the most haphazard infrastructure I've ever seen. Sometimes I wonder if the network administrator for Dataprise knows what Group Policy is. We've had to set up computers in the past for new employees, and we do it manually. Manually set up the OS, manually create a new user, create a new password, install software, configure the OS. The process takes between 3-4 hours depending on our time and the time it takes to download updates. Are you kidding? Half of that (Printers, mapped drives, some configuration) can and should be done with group policy, the other half can be set up with a good image, or with WDA. Dataprise's technical infrastructure is probably the worst-run that I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with, and that takes in a few.

Work areas. We have cubicles. Cubicles that we frequently have to share, and are frequently moved from. I've come in and had no idea where my computer was, and took nearly 30 minutes to get my bearings and situated instead of coming in and being productive for 30 minutes, because my crap was spread all over the place. They're moving to a new building, so that may not be an issue anymore, but jeez. Come on.

Honestly, overall, Dataprise seems far more concerned with bettering their own corporate position, rather than their employees, or their customers. After seeing how both the field engineers, and the remote support team operate, I would never entrust my own business' network to Dataprise alone.

Advice to Management

At least for the management of the Global Support Desk...I really feel like you guys are almost like new parents. You're trying to be nice, and be our friend, when really your job is to crack down on us, and be consistent. But you aren't. You try to be awesome, and you succeed, but when things get bad, you freak out and turn into the boogeyman or Willie Lynch. You're great as people, and for the most part I think you're doing your job well. But you need to focus on being consistently more managerial. Does that make sense? Maybe?

As far as C-Level goes...I mean, I never see you guys, and I don't know that I really WANT to. Take that however you feel you should take it.

Jan 19, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

Hello and thank you for your feedback: it is much appreciated. We are currently taking the information you provided to make some necessary improvements across the organization. With our upcoming ... More

9. Rude, Horrible Back Stabber Bosses who can throw you under the bus anytime without you having a hint of it.. Terrible Co

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Rockville, MD

I worked at Dataprise

Pros

They can surely teach you the meaning of Lies and back stabbing.

Cons

True meaning of flip side of a coin which you would never be able to see no matter what coz this evil of get hired in todays market constantly bugging you !

Advice to Management

Be Honest !

Jan 19, 2015Director of HR & Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience with our company and will work to do better for current and future employees. Best ... More

10. Friendly Environment with Accelerated Growth Through Smart Decision Making

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dataprise full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very exciting to be part of such a fast paced and growing environment. Great compensation and benefits. Staff is welcoming and friendly. Senior Management Knows what needs to be done to be successful and provides you the tools to do so. Executive Management listens to the employees.

Cons

Fast paced, this is not a con; it is the nature of being in the Managed Services Industry.

Remote Support Engineer

Current Employee - Remote Support Engineer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Remote Support Engineer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Dataprise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Environment to Work in, and great deal of information to learn. Provides re-reimbursement for Training and Certifications.

Cons

A lot of the work is done over the phone and remotely. Also becomes impossible to balance work and social life due to shift hours and shift changes.