Datavail Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
Datavail President & CEO Mark Perlstein
Mark Perlstein

1. I have been a contractor with datAvail for more than 2 years and I thoroughly enjoy working with this organization.

Current Employee - Recruiting in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Datavail

Pros

Company is very progressive. Many excellent benefits and incentives for employees and contractors. HIGHLY skilled technical teams. Accessible and approachable leadership. Everyone at datAvail that I have worked with, from senior management to sales to technical teams to human resources, is fully engaged, professional and accountable in their roles.

Cons

Very difficult to come up with anything that I consider to be negative about working with datAvail, I'd be reaching if I tried.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. Great company to work for.

Current Contractor - Senior Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Contractor - Senior Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Datavail as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Datavail has carved out a niche in the database admin and development realm by having top shelf technical talent led by experienced and responsible leadership. Communication throughout the company is quick and thorough. datAvail is constantly evolving to meet the needs of clients and employees alike. Sales, finance and marketing personnel are top notch professionals and all levels of employees throughout the company enjoy ownership and responsibility of their sections. Integrity and accountability are second to none.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company!

Ambitious company sure, but it doesn't help the employees so much, mostly only the management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Datavail full-time

Pros

1) Work/Life balance (work from home, flexible hours, unlimited vacation) tends to be VERY good (if you are allowed to use them)

2. A nice array of reasonable if not very well priced health benefits packages.

3. The CEO is incredibly intelligent, driven, and has his head on straight in regards to his vision of the business and how to pitch it. He's personable, available, and considers himself an employee of everyone else (reverse pyramid) which many times he's shown by getting into the trenches with problem clients.

Cons

1. The work/life benefits aren't always what they convey. For example: the work from home varies in amount and trust department to department (manager to manager), the flexible time tends to be questioned a lot even if you come in early but opt to leave early to match after you've put in a full day's work, and their supposed unlimited vacation comes with the unwritten caveat that the moment someone wants to complain about you they like to make you feel extraordinarily guilty about having utilized the benefit.

2. Too many VPs. Everyone there seems to be a VP of this or that. There's layer upon layer of Senior Management and very little to no mid-level. Too many Directors too in naming all the salespeople Directors. That's not fooling any potential client that they're talking to someone with authority, especially when it's clear they can't properly sell the services anyway a good chunk of the time and the DBAs and Service Delivery department have to bail them out after the fact.

3. Almost zero level of job mobility. Basically forget getting a promotion. Maybe team lead on the DBAs, but if you're not one of the senior most management's friends, especially from their former company, your odds of getting promoted are better to be swallowed whole by a shark in Chicago than getting a promotion.

4. No recognition for loyalty or hard work. My time was limited there but I came to see employees who were there 5, 7, 9 years and more who haven't seen raises in years, bonuses even rarer, and never an opportunity to get them despite promises made by senior management over and over of impending raises or bonuses or something to compensate for all the hard work.

5. Specifically applicable to the Service Delivery team: No set job. One day it's client management, the next day they told them they were doing accounts receivable debt collection, the next they have to project manage non-client projects, the next something else. That division is the last stop of the company in regards that everything flowing downhill ends up on their plate despite the fact it should be the premier division being the client's primary contact. If you like that sort of thing great, but be prepared to have the job description obliterated the moment you start.

6. Politics, Politics, Politics. For a small company there is WAY too much of it going around with managers secretly gunning for each other, managers that have cost the company money and have no place still having jobs being protected by other managers, and more. Keep your head down, make friends only at your level, and stay out of anything else.

Advice to Management

Continue to GROW the company but be wary of the management choices you make. Let the CEO lead the charge but make sure the sales staff know what they're doing too.

Recognize the potential of the employee pool for internal promotion and more importantly recognition.

Don't allow the benefits politicized. Either they are or they aren't.

5. Don't bother giving 2 weeks notice!

Former Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at Datavail full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. You can work from home sometimes. Coworkers are generally good.

Cons

You can get thrown into new situations and jobs with no training or help from management. Absolutely no response from the company after I gave notice. Only clue I had was that all my access was denied the next day. I was still meeting with clients at the time.

Advice to Management

My resignation was handled very unprofessionally. The only official notice I got was from Trinet, our benefits company. That came several days later.

Consulting Senior SQL Server DBA

Current Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Datavail full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home sometimes and they are always working to get new business.

Cons

Don;t get to meet with the rest of the company

Advice to Management

Keepp doing what you're doing. Business seems good.

7. In India the company is getting worst.

I worked at Datavail

Pros

None to quote nothing to say

Cons

Here are the cons:---

1) Very bad facility in India.
    2) Thane it is still worst.Not a software company.It is like a manufacturing company
    3) Filling timesheet is worst, There is not much work to put in your timesheet , but management says you search what all you can do in the clients database and inform them and do the work.
    If you do the above the client says dont do it as it is not of much importance and your timesheet gets a hit.
    The employee suffers. "Management:-- Keep things simple for the employees and dont expect employees doing sales for you"
    4) The role will not be defined. You will have to get the work from the client,Management does not bother .Not for all the clients but for clients I worked all had the same issue especially in L3 Support.
    5) There is lot of politics regarding the work from US and India
    6) Honest advice is join only if you are planning for a 6 month stint.

Advice to Management

!!!!!---Change India management.....and some of the US managers...

8. Unhygienic, unhealthy and unprofessional HR recruitment team in India

I have been working at Datavail full-time

Pros

Didn't see any Pros for this company in India. Recruiting HR People are very much frustrating and dont know the cullture.

Cons

The recruiting staff (HR staff) in India showed a very unhygienic, unhealthy and unprofessional attitude to one of their requirement. One fine day I got a call from them for one of their requirement. They asked me various questions and my current CTC, expected CTC notice period and all. I told them that I want 30 to 40 hike on my current CTC. They agreed to that and processed my resume and conducted 3-4 rounds of interview including 2 rounds form US over skype. After every thing done they told me that they ere not able to offer more than my current CTC. So please do not trust them and be care full.... they are just wasting every body's time .... seems they have lots of time to spend and they are doing so by calling the candidates....again very very unhygienic, unhealthy and unprofessional staff they have in HR team in India......

Advice to Management

Please work with your recruiting team in India for better result and productivity. They are just wasting time of others... they might have much time to waste but they don't have right to waste other's time....

9. About the company

I have been working at Datavail full-time

Pros

None , as this does not help to improve your career
    Not for ambitious people.

Cons

1) No stability of jobs
    2) Hikes have been cut-down

Advice to Management

Try to keep the hard-working people.

10. Ambitious company with great opportunities

I have been working at Datavail

Pros

The company has several different levels of expertise with superior training. Since it's a smaller company, access to executives to understand larger ideas and feedback from direct co-workers is in abundance. Everyone gets along well and the company culture is both ambitious and realistic.

Cons

Broomfield is not centrally located. Most employees either live in Boulder or Denver, causing a longer commute than some may be used to.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, there will be more structure to the organization. I hope that the future will always have the welcoming vibe to bounce around ideas that it does now.