Datavantage

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John E. Gularson

Lots of promises, no follow through

QA Analyst (Current Employee) Solon, OH

ProsThe people you work with are generally nice and I have made a couple friends there, but the overall morale is in the toilet.

Health benefits are good.

ConsManagement has no idea how to manage the current customers, let alone the new ones that are being brought in. They make promises to customers that they know we cannot keep, but if it gets them an extra week or month without that customer yelling and screaming at them, then they feel they did their job.

There is absolutely no room to advance, you are told that if you do a good job you will be rewarded, in my over three years there I have only received a cupcake and a sign thanking us for our hard work.

Management runs around the building waiving their arms and looking to point the finger at someone else because in their eyes it is never their fault. They are also very quick to make assumptions when a project gets behind.

Management does not know anything about the software they develop and will say whatever it is they think you want to hear to keep you pacified for the time being.

Lately the new hires (although nice people) have no technical background, I don't know how many times I have had to help someone (who I know is making more than I am) copy a file onto their USB thumb drive or just copy a file to another folder in Windows.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage your people and especially learn something about the software you develop and make sure the people you hire know a little something about computers and software.

Try asking questions about why something is not on schedule instead of making your own assumptions.

READ EMAILS! We don't send them to you for our health, we usually have important information to tell you.

Poor employee morale leads to poor overall company performance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Solon, OH

ProsThe people that you work with are wonderful personalities. The retail industry is an exciting fast paced environment that is always changing so it will keep you on your toes.

ConsThe lack of accountability, mixed with extreme quantities of work and then coupled with below industry average pay for all positions creates a very poor working environment. Until the leadership is willing to deal with the 60 to 70 hour weeks including weekends with no comp time or increased salary and/or address the lack of resources directly rather than through lip-service, this company will not be a leader in the industry. The poor morale directly effects the bottom line and that needs to be recognized, not blame the situation on the employees "bad attitude."

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to immediately address the working conditions in the company. Without creating an environment where successful people are part of delivery quality products, the talent drain will continue to occur. Don't tell people they need to be more positive. Internalize the issue and ask what can we do to better engage our employees so that they are productive in their position. That will lead to contentment and employee longevity.

Not what I signed up for

Project Implementation Manager (Current Employee) Solon, OH

ProsCo-workers are nice when not totally stressed out.

ConsI am pretty new and took the job based on being flat out lied to in the interview process. I can't believe this place still has customers. Management runs around in circles all day waving their arms. Many of these managers do not even know the business to intelligently talk to customers or train their employees. I guess it has been this way for awhile now and anyone who was of value has left the company (from what I was told)....therefore making the situation get worse. Though, I am starting to see it myself, the few quality people (with knowledge of their jobs) leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful to new hires. It is obvious of the role and situation the company is in so you should not sell it as the total opposite. I understand you would not get anyone to accept if you were 100% truthful in the interview process but now all you have is people joining, realizing what the situation is and then immediately looking to get out. I can't believe any HR department is letting this happen...maybe they have no say?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a bad experience, I wouldn't recommend it

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Solon, OH

ProsPeople are friendly and helpful in a lot of ways.

ConsWild west management style with no planning (shoot every direction and hope you hit a target).

Promotions are specific to few and not based on skill set but on other factors that no one

Management is totally disconnected of the staff problems or they are ignoring it, both cases it doesn't serve the employees well.

Management gives a lot of promises without even the intent of making any change just for the sake of giving a temporary relief feeling to the employees who got used to their lies .

Most of the talented people left the company and there is no guidance within the team and new hires don't have the chance for a good training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and stop lying to yourselves and the people around you.

Start appreciating the talents you have before you end up with a company without any talents or skills.

Not a healthy workplace

R&D and Operations (Current Employee) Solon, OH

ProsIce Machine ;') ....and good coworkers that are all in a common mindset.

ConsI worked in multiple role and within multiple departments trying to find a position that I would enjoy. I stuck around for many years hoping there would be a turn for the better, believing the executive team that they would make this place tolerable. I never imagined the place could be more toxic as it was last year, or the year before. Yet, each year I stayed...it did get worse. I feel sorry for those who have not found new opportunities yet and those new-bees who are getting hired, out of desperation, that don't know any better.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't and won't waste my time to provide advice to people who don't seem to care about their employees. Managers should be ashamed to face their employees based on how they allow them to be treated.

Seriously avoid this place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't believe I am forced to put in five words here

ConsThe application is buggy and badly designed. But they have their delusions. Expect to play second fiddle to inferior talent just because they know the product which apparently takes ten years to understand. They play the blame game a lot..

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire talent unless you are prepared to give them responsibility. If you aren't, hire freshers.

Decent stepping stone in your career

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Solon, OH

ProsThe lower in the organization you look, the more pleasant and helpful the workers. There is no shortage of work to keep you busy (see cons), and you will be forced into a position where you must sink or swim -- a pro in my book, as there are too many slackers in this world who cannot tread water and want everyone else to do their work for them.

ConsSenior management is stuck in "MBA and spreadsheet mode" and would rather see qualified, experienced employees quit and be replaced by contractors making $20k more than to promote or give raises to deserving employees. Benefits are okay, but slightly below average. Pay is abysmal. You do not work here for the money: you work here for experience. The work environment is utterly chaotic, with nine things per day thrust in your direction. While this greatly increases stress levels, it also nicely pads your resume for sane and rational future employment.

I worked here for 5+ years and have a wealth of experience that contributed to my landing of a far better job with a fair paycheck. So while I hated working at Micros, I am also grateful that I did.

More on benefits: after ten years you will accrue as much vacation time as other companies give on day one.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis organization is top-heavy with many management turf wars. Fire mid and upper managers, replace them with more boots-on-the-ground software engineers, QA, and project managers. Pay better. More vacation days are good.

PROMOTE DESERVING EMPLOYEES. The current promotion list in March 2014 is less than half of what it started as, because everyone on the list quit due to taking forever to get promoted. When the new CEO takes over and talks about red tape in promotions and other areas, then spends a whole year doing NOTHING to get rid of it... the problem is not going away. FIX IT.

one let down after another

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Solon, OH

ProsMost people are nice, but no one stays long. Can gain some useful experience

ConsVery under payed. You will be set up to fail on everything you work on. You will be asked to lie to customers. Unrealistic tasks and time frame to complete them. No career path. No promotions. You will work with outdated hardware and software. Management is not interested in improving working conditions. Very disorganized ad inconstant. Only work here to fill time to the next job and only if you have no other choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you employees better, by paying them what they are worth. Keep your employees by having a defined career path and goals. Learn to set them up to success instead of failure. Sometimes telling a customer no is best for them. Not everything the think they want is a good idea.

Micros lacks structure and leadership

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Solon, OH

ProsCo-workers are nice people, and that's about it.

ConsPriorities always change. Always short changing customers who pay for quality as we are never allowed the time to preform the appropriate test cycle needed ( and being paid for). Often, code goes out untested. New department management brought in has not delivered on promises and has lost respect of team. Executives don't seem to care about employees as revenue and customers unrealistic demands are the priority, regardless the cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality employees will continue to leave and customer satisfaction will continue to plumit unless changes are made. I would have thought this would be obvious but it was been years we have been in a downward spiral.

It was a OK experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Solon, OH

ProsPeople are friendly and helpful.

ConsThey don't use the latest technologies. Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't be a good manager in a software company without knowing the basics about software.

Worked for Datavantage? Contribute to the Community!