Datto

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
3.1

Austin McChord

I love coming to work everyday! I learning new things everyday.

I have been working at Datto full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The CEO cares so much about his employees, the products, and of course his customers. Datto does everything possible to make coming to work enjoyable. There is also a very "transparent attitude" unlike most companies.

Cons

Upper management seems a bit overwhelmed.

rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Datto full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started in February of 2013. I have rotated from roles and projects constantly and the development velocity is fast and unique. I have written backend C and C++ code for the company and even have done tons of front end html and javascript. Although the primary language is PHP, the range of skills you would use on the job is incredible. We produce products more rapidly than any other company in the area so it is never dull.
    The number of changes that have occurred in the department and the company are extraordinary. Although there are growing pains, stress and lots of work, the company is filled with fun, excitement and growth opportunity. The process is not refined and is constantly changing (most of the time for the better). The small improvements being made are making great differences. Not many people leave the development team. We are constantly hiring new talent. I highly recommend working here if you are into having freedom to do research and design or just want to crank out code. Benefits are good and the growth potential is huge.
    The number one reason for coming to datto is the technology. The technologies we use are awesome to work with (linux, computer hardware, big data and virtualization technologies). Honestly this is what keeps us all here. You aren't going to be data mining for some big bank where no one in the company understands anything about technology. Our staff is highly technical and knowledgable. It really is one of the few companies that allows for growth and innovation at such a fast rate.

Cons

-Lots of work but never dull
    -Sometimes management makes quick decisions
    -process isn't refined

Change is good but sometimes it could come with some stress. Being more open with where an employee stands is key to fixing this issue.

Don't Waste Your Time

Current Employee - Sales in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Sales in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Datto full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working for a manufacturer, free lunch fridays, snacks and soda machines.

Cons

Management is a complete joke and that's not even close to an exaggeration. They have never managed anybody at previous jobs and basically their role is to barely do anything. Upper management is also comical that is why they keep hiring and firing because they keep putting the wrong people in place. I work in sales and it's pointless to want to work here at this point cause you will make little money since territories are already taken up. If you're fine with minimal pay and not looking for a career then by all means apply and you will see quickly what I have said to be true. On the outside this company is fast growing but inside it is imploding. They throw new ideas out very often and hope it sticks to the wall but it clearly fails most of the time. Trust me you are way better off working for another company because you will get discouraged quick and then be stuck here like I am searching for a better opp elsewhere.

How bout get a clue and stop lying through your teeth about how you think you know what you are doing. Talk to other successful directors and vp's of other companies and learn because it's pretty clear that it looks like you read a management for dummies book

Not a smart company as it claims to be

I have been working at Datto full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of work as they keep hiring new developers, mostly juniors with llittle experience and as long as you complain a lot about the work load and pretend you are working, and finish your half day job in two days, you might get away with people thinking you are doing a lot of work.

Cons

-leadership should be working as interns for their lack of knowledge and experience in the field. Most of them lack leadership skills.
    -people smoke e-ciggs in the meetings, during lunch and everywhere. Some folks are very loud and obnoxious.Some folks are dressed if they just came from bad fight- no professional atmosphere
    -No use or clue of best software engineering practices among the development, except for a couple of developers.

Grow up!

Amazing company

I have been working at Datto full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with some of the brightest people in the area. Growing faster than ever. So many opportunities to grow.

Cons

If you're good at this job, you're instantly underpaid and over worked, but not for long. It doesn't go unnoticed, but it does not bode well while it's happening.

Grow the the people under you.

Stressful but rewarding if you're up for it.

Former Employee - TSR in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - TSR in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Datto full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Extensive and thorough training on their proprietary technology and certain aspects of Linux (bash and Datto specific commands).
    - Help is there if you need it
    - Opportunity to move up very quickly if you excel at your position
    - Generally fun environment with good, intelligent tech staff and mgmt

Cons

- Management needs consolidation OR they need to communicate better or have specific tasks. After having a long conversation with one manager about how to effectively catch up on my tickets (which didn't get delegated to other team members when I was out sick for a week), four (4), FOUR other managers/team lead came by to tell me I was behind on my tickets. Do I have to have the SAME conversation with five different managers? No no no no no...
    - The workload is absolutely monstrous. Tickets pile up and pile up and you think you're never ever going to catch up. This, coupled with lots of pressure from too many managers (plus the Team Lead) to (understandably) be up to date on tickets made things very stressful. All of this made it impossible for me to learn new things. I would've been stagnant there forever banging my head against the desk. This won't be everyone's experience, obviously, but I'm definitely not the only one.

I think that they should give a more thorough screening of their candidates on specific technical skills. I, unfortunately, vastly underestimated my abilities and so did management, making for the absolute most stressful work experience I've ever had. I think they almost pride themselves on how "tough" their environment is. People leave left and right before the 90 days is up. If the people they hired were more qualified, wouldn't that decrease the amount of time they spend hiring qualified people? Or maybe this has improved since I left. Just throwing it out there. They offer cert training for certain things (Linux+, Network+, etc.) I asked about A+ training and was told that it's not relevant to the job. A+ training is EXTREMELY relevant. In fact, it couldn't be MORE relevant. Not everyone there is A+ certified, of course, but they have that knowledge and technical understanding.

near sighted fast growing

Current Employee - Developer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Datto full-time

Pros

things are fast and loose datto is willing to let people without experience in an area work in that area so you can do things other companies would not let you.Free lunch friday and snacks usually. There was security training for a day that was good but that was it for learning. Growing fast

Cons

If you are competent you will overloaded with work until you are miserable. if you aren't you will be disrespected but not let go. no christmas bonus last year don't know about others. Fast growth but leadership team is not good enough to handle it. Constant development changes but little progress

you need to grow development with the rest of the company. *if you can't grow dev then stop growing everything else or things will collapse*. and stop making the best way to progress being to inflate the CEOs ego

development

I have been working at Datto full-time (more than a year)

Pros

close to home. Some very clever developers. Pay is ok but not for the amount of yelling that goes on.

Cons

If you are in the CEO's inner circle of high school friends you will succeed without regard to technical merit. If not, you will not, again without regard to technical merit. Disagree with the CEO and his angry, red-faced know-it-all attitude at your peril. Have never seen the man praise, only lambaste. There is no value in quality, only speed of delivery of new, incomplete, buggy product features. QA is an afterthought. Tech support out numbers DEV and QA two to one.

Please stop micromanaging everything. Perhaps its time to get a CTO to advise? Hire and trust competent managers. See a doctor about latent anger issues.

Great People, Chaotic Management

Former Employee - Cloud Systems Architect in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Cloud Systems Architect in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Datto full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks, basic medical no cost to the employee. Young company with mostly local college grads, with young management above them. Booming company with an excellent idea. Lots of good employees. Chance to work with many different systems, great place to get experience in Ubuntu systems (if in Cloud Ops), or in Ubuntu and Windows systems (if in Tech Support).

Cons

For the amount of pressure employees are put under, the pay compensation could be better. Management tends to listen to the CEO versus understanding what their employees are telling them, some don't understand what their department actually does. Departments that directly correspond to the bottom line get lots of attention, those who don't have their workloads expanded, without increasing personnel. Management has problems motivating people, and those who are friends with the CEO outside of the workplace, or can market themselves well, tend to climb the ladder, versus those who maintain a pure best for the company attitude will get passed by or ostracized. The company focuses on hiring people rather than automating systems, because they feel that people can be retooled on the fly where automation cannot. Management likes to push unrealistic timelines, without taking into consideration employee scoping of projects. Execution of product development could be better, which can be seen in the resulting products.

Management needs to listen to their workers, they have lots of great ideas and have a better idea of what the partners need, and how to make things more efficient. Also the company needs to spend some time polishing their systems, and getting certain processes automated, it will help their bottom line in the long run.

Recent experience

Current Employee - Cloud Ops Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Cloud Ops Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Datto full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learning ability is a big plus

Cons

Too much favoritism among those close to management

Too many chiefs