Daugherty Business Solutions

Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Daugherty Business Solutions President & CEO Ron Daugherty

Ron Daugherty

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is a reality at Daugherty with in town clients and 40 to 50 hour work weeks"
    in 11 reviews
  • "No travel model is basically true"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Presented as a consulting opportunities but in fact is staff aug"
    in 10 reviews
  • "No value to work life balance - client demands 50"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growing company interested in growing it's employees

Senior Consultant/Software Engineer III (Current Employee)
    Bloomington, MN

ProsDaugherty managers are interested in helping consultants grow their careers.
    Local, Fortune 500 clients
    Very professional atmosphere
    Paid bench time
    Decent benefits (401k matching, paid holidays, decent healthcare)
    Top tier talent
    Willing to rotate employees from clients if it's not working out

ConsHealth care cost has risen each year
    Below average vacation benefits
    Some social functions are a little hoity-toity

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease base starting vacation

Investing in growth, capability development, and talent at a level Daugherty competitors are not

Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsDaugherty (Minneapolis) is working hard to diversify client base at a high level. Management Consulting/Advisory Services has a much longer business development cycle and is shorter in duration. This is a challenge, but efforts are paying off and the company is having great success. One reason: Daugherty is hiring top talent who can act as thought leaders / advisors at a level it's competitors can't afford.

Top areas of attraction to Daugherty: stability, all-star colleagues, local delivery model, solutions focused project work combined with a career-driven pooled resource and managed service approach with clients. These approaches offer a reporting structure, as well as, a support structure at the client for Daugherty's Management Consultants, PGM/PM's, Bus Arch, BA's, SE/AA's, and Info Arch/Analysts.

Also offer top 1% health plan, paid overtime, solid employee referral bonuses, 401K w/ match, solid time off and holiday schedule (paid), hire to bench (paid bench model), and more.

ConsGrowing at a pace where there are needs in the branch across the board, but company is aware and investing in right areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolid management in place, but need additional and even higher level management due to growth

Solid company that continues to evolve

Senior Consultant (Technical) (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits, Intelligent colleagues, local delivery model providing opportunities at top companies in the area, privately held, great local clients, excellent project opportunities, good work/life balance, plenty of social and charity activities/events. Company is still small enough for individuals to have an impact.

ConsTypical growing pains, training opportunities could use some improvement

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work/Life Balance + Fair Comp & Ben

Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe local consulting model, combined with the focus of a growing but small practice in Atlanta, results in DBS' ability to provide for work life balance above the big 4. Client base is diverse enough to provide for career growth and the chance to work within many industries, combined with a great/clear promotion policy and huge branch growth, it makes it an exciting place to work full of opportunity.
    Compensation is more than fair, with the chance to receive overtime pay. Benefits are comprehensive and not outlandishly expensive.

Cons- Time off policies. Everyone starts with a net zero balance on vacation, earning the first ten days at year one. Far less than working in industry, for sure.
    - Staff augmentation feel at certain clients. While the gap is bridged by office activities, those are typically pro bono hours, and not always enough to make one feel that they are not "Me, Inc." contracted to client through DBS.

Always learning and collaborating with really smart people!

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI haven't worked with a group of such talented people in my career. Pretty much everyone I have come into contact with I can immediately tell is seasoned, has fantastic experience, and is always willing to lend a hand and help enhance an area where I haven't had expertise in order for me to help my clients.
    Additionally, while it is a business, the interest of the client seems to truly be at the heart of everything and not just making a sale.

ConsSome of the internal processes could be amped up a bit, but it those things are actively being worked on, but with a growing company, those kind of things happen. IT also gives opportunity to people to help design what those process should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue top promote from within and train the excellent talent you have in house.

Great work life balance, benefits better than national firm and quality of people

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsAfter working for top 3 consulting firms for over a decade, I decided to make a move to a local model boutique consulting firm "Daugherty", 3 reasons why I true love my career at Daugherty:
    - When they say " Work Life Balance, they truly mean it with great benefits-their medical is the best in industry
    - Great clients including list of fortune 500
    - Above all they are picking up cream from top consulting firms, so you are surrounded and talented people who value family life, work life and hate big 4 politics

ConsWhen you work with any company of its size you are bound to face the following challenges/opportunities to improve:
    - Not all Policies and Procedures are matured
    - PTO not too great but frankly speaking even though I had great PTO package in a top consulting firm, I could never take advantage of it anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job and don't give up on the core values of this company as we grow

Excellent Company

Principal (Current Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities for career growth in the Atlanta Office

ConsSometimes a long commute to get to office

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what your doing

The best there is.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsEnjoy a stead work/life balance while gaining a ton of experience, picking up state of the art skills, expanding your communication skills.

Also, the free food & beverages, great peers, social events, and after hours learning opportunities are a plus.

ConsClient work comes and goes, so you will have to be patient in-between projects. Don't worry though bench-work will keep you busy. ;)

Advice to Senior ManagementNegotiating more vacation days would be a HUGE factor to change during the hiring process.

*This one perk could spike your retention and prevent talented candidates from accepting other offers. Think about it, 1 or 2 weeks of additional vacation in return for talented candidates that could potentially revolutionize your future business for years to come.

Great Place To Work, but Requires Commitment

Consultant/Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe health benefits are the best available. There is significant room for growth and advancement. Compensation is on par or above similar companies. The culture is supportive and encouraging, and the company works hard to maintain it. They hire intelligent capable people, so the teams you're on will be filled with those types of people. Opportunities for personal development abound, but you must be willing to devout some time outside of working hours to take advantage of them.

Cons2 weeks of starting vacation can be a little on the short side. If you aren't someone who's comfortable speaking up, you can get stuck in a location or assignment you aren't happy with for a long time. If you're only looking for 9-5 job with no commitments outside those hours, you won't find it here. Mid level and low level management can often be more of a hindrance to work than a help, and it seems that those managers are not being adequately coached or prepared for their roles. All consultants are expected to have technical and professional skills, which must grow together for promotion. This can be a problem for more technically minded individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to develop younger talent quickly or they will go else where. Share strategic visions and plans with the company. Train and get feedback on managers, coach them and prepare them for their roles. Encourage more employee engagement in the community.

Senior Consultant

Senior IT Consultant (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsFull Time employment with the ability to work for several different clients, hence gaining tons of real word experience.

ConsFocus on the "consutlant" is preached, but not always acheived.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour product is your consultantcy. More focus needs to be nurturing your product and not just "selling" it.

Worked for Daugherty Business Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Daugherty Business Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Daugherty Business Solutions CEO Ron Daugherty . All 91 reviews posted anonymously by Daugherty Business Solutions employees.