Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Daugherty Business Solutions President and CEO Ron Daugherty
Ron Daugherty

Pros
  • Decent pay and work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• When they say " Work Life Balance, they truly mean it with great benefits-their medical is the best in industry (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Daugherty is a staff aug company that tries to sell itself as a consultancy on par with big 4 (in 12 reviews)

• Most of the work in Atlanta is really just staff augmentation work (in 9 reviews)

Pay is okay, excellent benefits, lack of strategy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package is tough to beat. Work with smart people, although explosive growth has lead to some dubious hires.

Cons

Lack of strategy for spreading headcount across accounts creating risk - too many eggs in one basket. Promotions are based on how your line of service lead "feels" about you. A more clear promotion path is needed.

Advice to Management

Let's get going with sales to spread consultants out and open more opportunities - especially for PM and BA.

DBS @ STL

Current Employee - Project Manager I in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager I in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Integrated Client & Consultant support, Periodic capability development training and classes after work, Good network.

Cons

Not much presence in TX, NY, NJ. Need to expand client base in STL, ATL & Dallas.

Advice to Management

Little more remuneration increase during annual assessment to match assessment provided can be better.

Daugherty Business Solutions Response

Jul 28, 2015 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your review! We'll pass your feedback on to management.

Contract Worker

Former Contractor - Business Analyst, Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst, Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of training available, which allows you to keep your skills sharp and learn new skills at the same time.

Cons

Only 4 major clients in the area means very little work available. If you spending too long on the bench you will be let go. Paid overtime is not really paid. I was told by a client that I could log overtime, but then she would have to let me go sooner because I would be eating up her FTE budget, so you have to choose whether you want to complete your contract or be paid for your overtime. Very little work/life balance; if you want to get anywhere in this company, be prepared to spend a LOT of your personal time doing extra work, teaching classes, etc. to get noticed by management.

Advice to Management

Don't promise things you can't deliver and get a database of your employee's skill sets. I watched you tell a room full of people that you were having trouble at PepsiCo because you didn't have any bilingual consultants and I was sitting next to someone who spoke 3 languages, one of which you claimed you needed.

Growing Company Acting as a Family-Owned Business

Pros

The consultant team are really fun people. Daugherty has a good reputation at the client sites. I guess it doesn't look bad on your resume. There is a bench. So, if you are between projects, you will get a paycheck (please note that this is reflected in your salary). Good work/life balance. You get paid overtime (even though it is few and far between)

Cons

Daugherty is ok. However, I feel the need to level-set expectations and debunk the recruiting spiel. During the interview process, you will hear a lot about the Daugherty culture - lots of training, plenty of support from other Daugherty consultants, and a family-like atmosphere. First, training. Training opportunities that are evening "classes" and lunch and learns. The quality of these sessions greatly depend on the attendees and their willingness to open their mouths. The presenter will not have any answers to the questions and more than likely is reading from presentation notes. Verbatim. Many times I have wondered why I am there if I can just read the presenter notes. Support from Daugherty. Your line of service will be clueless about what is going on at your client site and may not answer any of your questions. Your team leader will more than likely be clueless because the appropriate processes and procedures haven't been thought through and disseminated. Your team members will be equally clueless because the team leader isn't providing any guidance. You are lucky if you know who to go to, but don't get your hopes up for an answer. Family like atmosphere is nice. But lets be real, there are 400+ employees in the St. Louis area alone. Family-like atmosphere has been thrown out a long time ago. If senior leadership doesn't "know" you, you will miss out on prime opportunities. Think about it, your career and your potential placements are put in the hands of a room full of people who only know your name and a few sentences about you. It can make a difference between mind-numbing projects and something more fulfilling. Leadership - seems to be stuck in the mid 20th century. Lack of ethnic/racial/gender diversity. It has become very clear that the organization isn't equipped to handle or even understand issues of diversity. Because of that, they don't even try. There are not very many women in positions of power or minority representation within the organization. If women are in management, it is more from a administrative aspect and not key decision makers. Yes. I know that Ron's wife works there, but why isn't she leading an affinity group for the women consultants? It really is the "old boys club" at Daugherty. Thank goodness that they are making strides in getting rid of some of the more heinous senior leadership! This not true consulting. It is staff augmentation. Don't come in thinking that you will make follow any type of management consulting model. You will do all of the manual processes that the client doesn't want to do. Depending on the client, it can be mind-numbing. If you are joining the BA line of service, please be prepared to be the low man on the totem pole. You will do the work that the Project Managers are supposed to do, but are incapable, too lazy or too arrogant to do. You will never hear from a project manager until the client informs them that a date or a deliverable is missed. There was someone who didn't have a clue what was supposed to be delivered. Never in my life have I seen this. Not proactive project management at all. A well-paid secretary. Must be nice. None of the senior leadership will respect your work products, the work that you do and it will be reflected in your promotion opportunities. The annual assessment process is a beast. I saw a sample with 20 pages of fluff. I'm sure it worked well when the company was smaller, but again...400+ employees. It needs to be revisited and improved. Also, I refuse to believe that everyone is going through the same interviewing process. I truly believe that some people are given soft ball interviews because senior level people have no clue what they should be doing. It is amazing. I have observed senior-level, aged consultants who don't understand the basics of Business Analysis, project managers who don't understand that they should at least understand the objective of the project so that they can determine the resources needed and lead the team discussions.

Advice to Management

Get serious about the company. You talk the talk. Now it is time to start walking. Stop treating your employees as if they are bodies in a seat. Be clear and transparent in how to get ahead within in the organization and opportunities. Stop preventing your employees from expressing or contributing ideas to help the organization grow. Start encouraging affinity groups within the organization. You know something outside of the golf outings, running clubs, cycling clubs, and beer drinking. Also, stop looking at titles and lines of service and evaluate your employees based upon their skills and experience. As consultants we should all be able to go into a client site and perform any role. You limit yourself by not knowing what you have in terms of human capital.

Great people, lack of corporate vision and strategy

Pros

Very good people, great training opportunities. Solid branch leadership and account management. Good reputation around STL with a solid account base.

Cons

The branch evolved from project-based work to staff aug. with a limited ability to move from account to account (the reason I became a consultant). Lack of enterprise vision and goals as well as a defined career path to leadership. A few bad leaders in the EM / LOS roles that need to go. The owner is not a strong leader and demotivating.

Advice to Management

Provide a vision and corporate goals that cascade down to the branches. Remove poor performers at the leadership level (both corporate and the branches) and give new people a chance. Move consultants around more frequently (1 - 2 years?) vs. staying at the same shop for 4+ years.

Fine if you manage your expectations.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Pay and Benefits are very good.

Cons

Leadership, Primarily Staff Augmentation though they position themselves as more.

Daugherty Business Solutions Response

Aug 26, 2015 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback! Though our model is not primarily staff augmentation, we are aggressively growing here in Minneapolis. Sometimes that requires unbundled work, which is possibly what ... More

Project Manager

Pros

They offer extensive options for training

Cons

Office culture was an agitated environment

9. Employment Review

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great benefits and competitive compensation. Management is concerned about keeping the consultants happy. They really attempt to create a community and overcome the challenges of all the employees being displaced.

Cons

Not really true consulting. Most of the work in Atlanta is really just staff augmentation work. Career path is not clear. The "part time" management structure doesn't really support career growth. Lot of ad hoc busy work. Expectation to participate on multitude of committees on your own time, but not clear value to many of these activities. Most training available only on employee's own time with little company support.

Advice to Management

Better training opportunities. Rationalize the committees to ensure true value proposition. Consider a professional hr person.

More and more a STAFF AUG shop! Political environment

Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The quality of consultants is pretty good. They've done a good job of mining solid people. Pay scale is very competitive but lack of starting vacation

Cons

Will ask you to travel and put it all on your own credit card. The main office is quite a clique and very political. Leadership is taking company from a project-based, management consulting shop to pure staff aug. Many consultants on an island at clients as there is not much consultant care employed by the leaders. Vacation policy is very out-dated.

Advice to Management

There are some key leaders who have their own agendas. Little consultant care and even less feedback on how to improve. I've witnessed consultants at client sites who just surf the internet all day and then bill the client! Engagement managers do not partner with clients, it's more how they can party. Too much staff augmentation.

Staff Aug with good Medical

Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Top notch medical insurance, others are mediocre at best. 401K match is so-so and 10 days per year of PTO is lowest in industry. Co-workers are talented. Local delivery model is great except when your client needs you to travel, in which case you travel for as long as needed. Salary is competitive going in so negotiate well because subsequent raises are mediocre at best unless you're brown-nosing the leaders which may get you a promotion and a bigger raise.

Cons

Daugherty is a staff aug company that tries to sell itself as a consultancy on par with big 4. 90% of the work is in staff aug capacity. Most of the work (70-80%) is at express scripts; true for both this branch and the company overall. Engagements are dictated by client needs, not consultant's skills, relevant experience or career goals. Work-life balance is 70% dictated by the client, 30% by Daugherty. In addition to billing 40-60 hours at the client, Daugherty requires 'volunteering' on extra-curricular committees to further the branch. This 'volunteering' is heavily factored into annual reviews, basically it's either 'volunteer' or get screwed when it comes to a raise. Internal training is a joke and external training is not paid for.

RSS Feed </> Embed