Daugherty Business Solutions

Updated August 20, 2014

3.7

Daugherty Business Solutions President & CEO Ron Daugherty
Ron Daugherty

Pros
  • Work life balance is a reality at Daugherty with in town clients and 40 to 50 hour work weeks (in 11 reviews)

• For the most part, Daugherty practices a local delivery model (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Daugherty is a staff aug company that tries to sell itself as a consultancy on par with big 4 (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is 70% dictated by the client, 30% by Daugherty (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good consultant staff; Leadership/Management Lacking

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salaries and benefits; Many clients & choices.

Cons

Office management doesn't engage well with consultant population; Delivery Mgmt doesn't exist as poor deliverables continue; Leadership is more like a clique than proactive management staff. Limited PTO.

Delivery oversight should be performed on all major projects at all client sites. Some PMs don't even produce project plans. Engagement Mgrs don't engage clients, so they need to be recycled as they seem too complacent.

The best there is.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoy a stead work/life balance while gaining a ton of experience, picking up state of the art skills, expanding your communication skills.

Also, the free food & beverages, great peers, social events, and after hours learning opportunities are a plus.

Cons

Client work comes and goes, so you will have to be patient in-between projects. Don't worry though bench-work will keep you busy. ;)

Negotiating more vacation days would be a HUGE factor to change during the hiring process.

*This one perk could spike your retention and prevent talented candidates from accepting other offers. Think about it, 1 or 2 weeks of additional vacation in return for talented candidates that could potentially revolutionize your future business for years to come.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Principal  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career growth in the Atlanta Office

Cons

Sometimes a long commute to get to office

Continue doing what your doing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Full Time employment with the ability to work for several different clients, hence gaining tons of real word experience.

Cons

Focus on the "consutlant" is preached, but not always acheived.

Your product is your consultantcy. More focus needs to be nurturing your product and not just "selling" it.

Great Place To Work, but Requires Commitment

Current Employee - Consultant/Software Engineer II  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant/Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The health benefits are the best available. There is significant room for growth and advancement. Compensation is on par or above similar companies. The culture is supportive and encouraging, and the company works hard to maintain it. They hire intelligent capable people, so the teams you're on will be filled with those types of people. Opportunities for personal development abound, but you must be willing to devout some time outside of working hours to take advantage of them.

Cons

2 weeks of starting vacation can be a little on the short side. If you aren't someone who's comfortable speaking up, you can get stuck in a location or assignment you aren't happy with for a long time. If you're only looking for 9-5 job with no commitments outside those hours, you won't find it here. Mid level and low level management can often be more of a hindrance to work than a help, and it seems that those managers are not being adequately coached or prepared for their roles. All consultants are expected to have technical and professional skills, which must grow together for promotion. This can be a problem for more technically minded individuals.

Work to develop younger talent quickly or they will go else where. Share strategic visions and plans with the company. Train and get feedback on managers, coach them and prepare them for their roles. Encourage more employee engagement in the community.

Daugherty helps me grow my career, I have input on my assignments, clients value our work and our leadership.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Work, Career, Colleagues, Compensation, Benefits. I enjoy the work I do. Daugherty is completely behind growing my career, and they take my input into account for new assignments. My colleagues are definitely the best I've worked with, very competent contributors and leaders. With branches in several cities, we have many internal experts to leverage. But we work locally, I haven't done any travel. I'm totally satisfied with my compensation and benefits. Three times I've had medical providers say, "Wow, you have good benefits!"

Cons

As with any growing company, especially a consulting company, it can be difficult to get to know your colleagues as your company grows. I know those I've worked with, and our quarterly meetings and events help us get to know each other.

Keep up everything you're doing.

No meaningful careers under a staff augmentation model with poor business development.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

1. No other organizations offering this level of health benefits.
    2. If you are lucky you will run into one of the very few real leaders that work there and get inspired and motivated about your career.
    3. Paid overtime and paid bench.

Cons

1. Very poor business development model in the Minneapolis branch due to a lack of a solid business proposition and differentiation. 80% chance you land in Express Scripts because there are just no projects with other clients. In ESI you will be doing very a simple project coordination job despite your previous experience and seniority. The branch is losing business on a weekly basis to smaller firms and Big 4. Very weak BD support from corporate in St Louis.
    2. Promotions and increases are very subjective and based on perception and partial feedback. You can have a great increase one year by just mingling with the senior execs and the following year you can work very hard and get no increase.
    3. You get hired under the promise that Daugherty will become the premier consulting company for the Twin Cities and when you realize it, it is just a big staff augmentation shop.
    4. Vacation / PTO time is sub-par.

1. Get a real business development model and start selling real projects.
    2. Hire real leaders that really motivate and engage people to deliver their best.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Experienced co-workers ,Great benefits and good salary

Cons

Daugherty have great people but do not have the right projects to place them.

Need more sales to get right projects to fit peoples profiles,

Not a consulting company for the majority of their clients, staff augmentation is not consulting

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

good health insurance, paid bench time (in between clients)

Cons

don't expect consulting roles and/or responsibility

A refreshing change of pace and practice after leaving big four consulting.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work life balance is a reality at Daugherty with in town clients and 40 to 50 hour work weeks.

Their is paid overtime. Paid overtime means that leadership is thoughtful about when and when not to keep people late. It helps regulate the perception that working late creates greater value by actually measuring the value with additional dollars.

Daugherty team members are intelligent, approachable and have a business casual attitude that I find refreshing after the big four ego maniacs and fake-it-till-they-make-it performers. Daugherty team members are diverse from a number of levels including intellectually open to explore a variety of topics and perspectives with open minds.

Cons

The vacation package isn't great but it is a trade off given that work weeks do not exceed 40 to 50 hours.
    Bonuses exist but are more of a tip than a bonus. Again, when weighing other benefits this isn't as bad as it may seem.

Continue to build distinct Daugherty solutions to differentiate us from any association with staff augmentation.

Worked for Daugherty Business Solutions? Contribute to the Community!