Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great people, lack of corporate vision and strategy

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions

Pros

Very good people, great training opportunities. Solid branch leadership and account management. Good reputation around STL with a solid account base.

Cons

The branch evolved from project-based work to staff aug. with a limited ability to move from account to account (the reason I became a consultant). Lack of enterprise vision and goals as well as a defined career path to leadership. A few bad leaders in the EM / LOS roles that need to go. The owner is not a strong leader and demotivating.

Advice to Management

Provide a vision and corporate goals that cascade down to the branches. Remove poor performers at the leadership level (both corporate and the branches) and give new people a chance. Move consultants around more frequently (1 - 2 years?) vs. staying at the same shop for 4+ years.

Fine if you manage your expectations.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions

Pros

Pay and Benefits are very good.

Cons

Leadership, Primarily Staff Augmentation though they position themselves as more.

Daugherty has been a decent place to work with good benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Daugherty is a good place to learn skills. They have a diverse client base and this offers the ability to move and try new things.

Cons

The work is heavy on staff augmentation and light on consulting.

Advice to Management

Leadership is doing a fair job given the constraints of the industry.

Consulting company with local delivery model providing good opportunities for challenging consulting work.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

local delivery model, good people to work with, challenging projects

Cons

Not enough true project work, too much staff augmentation.

Advice to Management

provide more autonomy at the branch level as sales and delivery models in Atlanta, Chicago and Minneapolis are different than St. Louis.

Quality people, process and tools

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Daugherty has great colleagues that I can work with. They are smart, professional and actually nice. There isn't the cut-throat competitiveness that exists in other consulting firms.

Cons

Vacation has been a challenge but the company rolled out a new PTO policy which should be better.

Advice to Management

Don't tip the balance of focus between Client and Consultant. There seems to be a good balance right now.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Very smart people and the company is willing to invest in good ideas and the right people. Growing because of strong client relationships and successful engagements. The technical team in Minneapolis is growing, and it is nice to have a larger and more diverse group of developers to bounce ideas off of.

Cons

More communication for headquarters in St. Louis is needed. It is nice to have some autonomy in each branch, but I'd like more insight into the overarching strategy.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, and keep making strides in the right direction with PTO and 401k.

Solid firm striving to broaden horizons

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very smart colleagues and co-workers -Despite what others have said, the new PTO policy is a positive as it converted the sick time accrual to PTO resulting in greater usage flexibility (as well as payout). -Ability to make an impact quickly -Great benefits package -Brand name clients -Company wide push to deepen expertise in key technology areas

Cons

-Information cascade can be disjointed and slow -Would like to see a broader client portfolio -Some engagements can feel like "staff aug", however, I truly feel like leadership knows this and is actively looking to secure better partnerships with clients -Projects tend to be too general or too specialized for the consultant. Not enough true matching of skill set to the work needed. Plug and play.

Advice to Management

Transparency, transparency, transparency w/ both challenges AND wins. Open up more and enjoy the rewards of a more engaged workforce.

Good company

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions

Pros

Great people to work with. Growing company. Small enough company that you can make a difference. Great medical benefits.

Cons

PTO is way below average. 401k plan could be improved.

Advice to Management

To keep good talent, you need to provide competitive PTO time.

Overall Review

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Leadership is involved in growing one's career. Benefits are great. Consultants are smart and great to work with; very supportive group.

Cons

Feeling more like a staff aug company. Although the support system is great, career planning and annual assessments are manual and lack structure.

Advice to Management

Career planning and management support is needed. Yearly assessment's need to be formalized with actual goals for a specific level and how the resource met or didn't meet their goals.

Challenging but rewarding place to work.

Pros

Daugherty is a challenging place to work. The interview process is extremely stringent (one phone interview and three in person interviews) but allows you to really get a sense of the work and the expectations. The variety of work from varying clients requires you to have a wide breadth of experience, but they do provide all sorts of training. The salaries are very competitive, and the medical benefits are amazing. I don't pay a deductible, and I only pay 20% of the total cost.

Cons

It's not for the faint of heart. You have to be able to be strong technically, and extremely professional with the clients. They really look to you for advice. It can wear you out, but I feel that I am going to be better prepared for my next role. I would appreciate more vacation time, but I can borrow an additional week, and at least it never disappears - so I can save it up.

Advice to Management

More transparency on why decisions are made. I would like to see the Leadership that encourages networking to step out of their shell and do more of encouraging the network.

RSS Feed </> Embed