Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Solid Company Overall

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

lots of great opportunities to grow

Cons

they expect you to spend a significant amount of your personal time with work related tasks.

Jul 28, 2015 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad that you are enjoying your time at Daugherty, and we'll pass along your feedback to our management team.

Growing Company Acting as a Family-Owned Business

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consultant team are really fun people. Daugherty has a good reputation at the client sites. I guess it doesn't look bad on your resume. There is a bench. So, if you are between projects, you will get a paycheck (please note that this is reflected in your salary). Good work/life balance. You get paid overtime (even though it is few and far between)

Cons

Daugherty is ok. However, I feel the need to level-set expectations and debunk the recruiting spiel. During the interview process, you will hear a lot about the Daugherty culture - lots of training, plenty of support from other Daugherty consultants, and a family-like atmosphere. First, training. Training opportunities that are evening "classes" and lunch and learns. The quality of these sessions greatly depend on the attendees and their willingness to open their mouths. The presenter will not have any answers to the questions and more than likely is reading from presentation notes. Verbatim. Many times I have wondered why I am there if I can just read the presenter notes. Support from Daugherty. Your line of service will be clueless about what is going on at your client site and may not answer any of your questions. Your team leader will more than likely be clueless because the appropriate processes and procedures haven't been thought through and disseminated. Your team members will be equally clueless because the team leader isn't providing any guidance. You are lucky if you know who to go to, but don't get your hopes up for an answer. Family like atmosphere is nice. But lets be real, there are 400+ employees in the St. Louis area alone. Family-like atmosphere has been thrown out a long time ago. If senior leadership doesn't "know" you, you will miss out on prime opportunities. Think about it, your career and your potential placements are put in the hands of a room full of people who only know your name and a few sentences about you. It can make a difference between mind-numbing projects and something more fulfilling. Leadership - seems to be stuck in the mid 20th century. Lack of ethnic/racial/gender diversity. It has become very clear that the organization isn't equipped to handle or even understand issues of diversity. Because of that, they don't even try. There are not very many women in positions of power or minority representation within the organization. If women are in management, it is more from a administrative aspect and not key decision makers. Yes. I know that Ron's wife works there, but why isn't she leading an affinity group for the women consultants? It really is the "old boys club" at Daugherty. Thank goodness that they are making strides in getting rid of some of the more heinous senior leadership! This not true consulting. It is staff augmentation. Don't come in thinking that you will make follow any type of management consulting model. You will do all of the manual processes that the client doesn't want to do. Depending on the client, it can be mind-numbing. If you are joining the BA line of service, please be prepared to be the low man on the totem pole. You will do the work that the Project Managers are supposed to do, but are incapable, too lazy or too arrogant to do. You will never hear from a project manager until the client informs them that a date or a deliverable is missed. There was someone who didn't have a clue what was supposed to be delivered. Never in my life have I seen this. Not proactive project management at all. A well-paid secretary. Must be nice. None of the senior leadership will respect your work products, the work that you do and it will be reflected in your promotion opportunities. The annual assessment process is a beast. I saw a sample with 20 pages of fluff. I'm sure it worked well when the company was smaller, but again...400+ employees. It needs to be revisited and improved. Also, I refuse to believe that everyone is going through the same interviewing process. I truly believe that some people are given soft ball interviews because senior level people have no clue what they should be doing. It is amazing. I have observed senior-level, aged consultants who don't understand the basics of Business Analysis, project managers who don't understand that they should at least understand the objective of the project so that they can determine the resources needed and lead the team discussions.

Advice to Management

Get serious about the company. You talk the talk. Now it is time to start walking. Stop treating your employees as if they are bodies in a seat. Be clear and transparent in how to get ahead within in the organization and opportunities. Stop preventing your employees from expressing or contributing ideas to help the organization grow. Start encouraging affinity groups within the organization. You know something outside of the golf outings, running clubs, cycling clubs, and beer drinking. Also, stop looking at titles and lines of service and evaluate your employees based upon their skills and experience. As consultants we should all be able to go into a client site and perform any role. You limit yourself by not knowing what you have in terms of human capital.

Growing IT consulting and business advisory firm.

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

Pros

Competitive pay. Entrepreneurial environment. Encourages and supports training. Promotions based on performance. Attuned to market place developments. Attracts other talented people. Strong team culture. Small company feel. Big company benefits.

Cons

Recruiting interview process is not consistent leading to some poor hires. Promotions are inconsistent with some some individuals contributing less than others but still getting promoted. Salaries are inconsistent with some more senior, higher performing employees making less than more junior, lower performing employees.

Great people, lack of corporate vision and strategy

Pros

Very good people, great training opportunities. Solid branch leadership and account management. Good reputation around STL with a solid account base.

Cons

The branch evolved from project-based work to staff aug. with a limited ability to move from account to account (the reason I became a consultant). Lack of enterprise vision and goals as well as a defined career path to leadership. A few bad leaders in the EM / LOS roles that need to go. The owner is not a strong leader and demotivating.

Advice to Management

Provide a vision and corporate goals that cascade down to the branches. Remove poor performers at the leadership level (both corporate and the branches) and give new people a chance. Move consultants around more frequently (1 - 2 years?) vs. staying at the same shop for 4+ years.

Fine if you manage your expectations.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Pay and Benefits are very good.

Cons

Leadership, Primarily Staff Augmentation though they position themselves as more.

Aug 26, 2015 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback! Though our model is not primarily staff augmentation, we are aggressively growing here in Minneapolis. Sometimes that requires unbundled work, which is possibly what ... More

Daugherty has been a decent place to work with good benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Daugherty is a good place to learn skills. They have a diverse client base and this offers the ability to move and try new things.

Cons

The work is heavy on staff augmentation and light on consulting.

Advice to Management

Leadership is doing a fair job given the constraints of the industry.

Consulting company with local delivery model providing good opportunities for challenging consulting work.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

local delivery model, good people to work with, challenging projects

Cons

Not enough true project work, too much staff augmentation.

Advice to Management

provide more autonomy at the branch level as sales and delivery models in Atlanta, Chicago and Minneapolis are different than St. Louis.

Quality people, process and tools

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Daugherty has great colleagues that I can work with. They are smart, professional and actually nice. There isn't the cut-throat competitiveness that exists in other consulting firms.

Cons

Vacation has been a challenge but the company rolled out a new PTO policy which should be better.

Advice to Management

Don't tip the balance of focus between Client and Consultant. There seems to be a good balance right now.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Very smart people and the company is willing to invest in good ideas and the right people. Growing because of strong client relationships and successful engagements. The technical team in Minneapolis is growing, and it is nice to have a larger and more diverse group of developers to bounce ideas off of.

Cons

More communication for headquarters in St. Louis is needed. It is nice to have some autonomy in each branch, but I'd like more insight into the overarching strategy.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, and keep making strides in the right direction with PTO and 401k.

Aug 26, 2015 – Managing Director

Thanks for your feedback! We are glad to see that you recommend our company. To your comment about more communication, we are working on improving this area. Over the next few weeks, communications ... More

Solid firm striving to broaden horizons

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very smart colleagues and co-workers -Despite what others have said, the new PTO policy is a positive as it converted the sick time accrual to PTO resulting in greater usage flexibility (as well as payout). -Ability to make an impact quickly -Great benefits package -Brand name clients -Company wide push to deepen expertise in key technology areas

Cons

-Information cascade can be disjointed and slow -Would like to see a broader client portfolio -Some engagements can feel like "staff aug", however, I truly feel like leadership knows this and is actively looking to secure better partnerships with clients -Projects tend to be too general or too specialized for the consultant. Not enough true matching of skill set to the work needed. Plug and play.

Advice to Management

Transparency, transparency, transparency w/ both challenges AND wins. Open up more and enjoy the rewards of a more engaged workforce.

RSS Feed </> Embed