Daugherty Business Solutions

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Daugherty Business Solutions President & CEO Ron Daugherty
Ron Daugherty

Pros
  • Work life balance is a reality at Daugherty with in town clients and 40 to 50 hour work weeks (in 13 reviews)

• For the most part, Daugherty practices a local delivery model (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Daugherty is a staff aug company that tries to sell itself as a consultancy on par with big 4 (in 12 reviews)

• Staff augmentation feel at certain clients (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Work/Life Balance + Fair Comp & Ben

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

The local consulting model, combined with the focus of a growing but small practice in Atlanta, results in DBS' ability to provide for work life balance above the big 4. Client base is diverse enough to provide for career growth and the chance to work within many industries, combined with a great/clear promotion policy and huge branch growth, it makes it an exciting place to work full of opportunity.
    Compensation is more than fair, with the chance to receive overtime pay. Benefits are comprehensive and not outlandishly expensive.

Cons

- Time off policies. Everyone starts with a net zero balance on vacation, earning the first ten days at year one. Far less than working in industry, for sure.
    - Staff augmentation feel at certain clients. While the gap is bridged by office activities, those are typically pro bono hours, and not always enough to make one feel that they are not "Me, Inc." contracted to client through DBS.

Solid company that continues to evolve

Current Employee - Senior Consultant (Technical) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant (Technical) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Intelligent colleagues, local delivery model providing opportunities at top companies in the area, privately held, great local clients, excellent project opportunities, good work/life balance, plenty of social and charity activities/events. Company is still small enough for individuals to have an impact.

Cons

Typical growing pains, training opportunities could use some improvement

Great work life balance, benefits better than national firm and quality of people

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After working for top 3 consulting firms for over a decade, I decided to make a move to a local model boutique consulting firm "Daugherty", 3 reasons why I true love my career at Daugherty:
    - When they say " Work Life Balance, they truly mean it with great benefits-their medical is the best in industry
    - Great clients including list of fortune 500
    - Above all they are picking up cream from top consulting firms, so you are surrounded and talented people who value family life, work life and hate big 4 politics

Cons

When you work with any company of its size you are bound to face the following challenges/opportunities to improve:
    - Not all Policies and Procedures are matured
    - PTO not too great but frankly speaking even though I had great PTO package in a top consulting firm, I could never take advantage of it anyways.

Keep up the good job and don't give up on the core values of this company as we grow

Always learning and collaborating with really smart people!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I haven't worked with a group of such talented people in my career. Pretty much everyone I have come into contact with I can immediately tell is seasoned, has fantastic experience, and is always willing to lend a hand and help enhance an area where I haven't had expertise in order for me to help my clients.
    Additionally, while it is a business, the interest of the client seems to truly be at the heart of everything and not just making a sale.

Cons

Some of the internal processes could be amped up a bit, but it those things are actively being worked on, but with a growing company, those kind of things happen. IT also gives opportunity to people to help design what those process should be.

Continue top promote from within and train the excellent talent you have in house.

Good consultant staff; Leadership/Management Lacking

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries and benefits; Many clients & choices.

Cons

Office management doesn't engage well with consultant population; Delivery Mgmt doesn't exist as poor deliverables continue; Leadership is more like a clique than proactive management staff. Limited PTO.

Delivery oversight should be performed on all major projects at all client sites. Some PMs don't even produce project plans. Engagement Mgrs don't engage clients, so they need to be recycled as they seem too complacent.

The best there is.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoy a stead work/life balance while gaining a ton of experience, picking up state of the art skills, expanding your communication skills.

Also, the free food & beverages, great peers, social events, and after hours learning opportunities are a plus.

Cons

Client work comes and goes, so you will have to be patient in-between projects. Don't worry though bench-work will keep you busy. ;)

Negotiating more vacation days would be a HUGE factor to change during the hiring process.

*This one perk could spike your retention and prevent talented candidates from accepting other offers. Think about it, 1 or 2 weeks of additional vacation in return for talented candidates that could potentially revolutionize your future business for years to come.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Full Time employment with the ability to work for several different clients, hence gaining tons of real word experience.

Cons

Focus on the "consutlant" is preached, but not always acheived.

Your product is your consultantcy. More focus needs to be nurturing your product and not just "selling" it.

Daugherty helps me grow my career, I have input on my assignments, clients value our work and our leadership.

Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Work, Career, Colleagues, Compensation, Benefits. I enjoy the work I do. Daugherty is completely behind growing my career, and they take my input into account for new assignments. My colleagues are definitely the best I've worked with, very competent contributors and leaders. With branches in several cities, we have many internal experts to leverage. But we work locally, I haven't done any travel. I'm totally satisfied with my compensation and benefits. Three times I've had medical providers say, "Wow, you have good benefits!"

Cons

As with any growing company, especially a consulting company, it can be difficult to get to know your colleagues as your company grows. I know those I've worked with, and our quarterly meetings and events help us get to know each other.

Keep up everything you're doing.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career growth in the Atlanta Office

Cons

Sometimes a long commute to get to office

Continue doing what your doing

Great Place To Work, but Requires Commitment

Current Employee - Consultant/Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant/Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The health benefits are the best available. There is significant room for growth and advancement. Compensation is on par or above similar companies. The culture is supportive and encouraging, and the company works hard to maintain it. They hire intelligent capable people, so the teams you're on will be filled with those types of people. Opportunities for personal development abound, but you must be willing to devout some time outside of working hours to take advantage of them.

Cons

2 weeks of starting vacation can be a little on the short side. If you aren't someone who's comfortable speaking up, you can get stuck in a location or assignment you aren't happy with for a long time. If you're only looking for 9-5 job with no commitments outside those hours, you won't find it here. Mid level and low level management can often be more of a hindrance to work than a help, and it seems that those managers are not being adequately coached or prepared for their roles. All consultants are expected to have technical and professional skills, which must grow together for promotion. This can be a problem for more technically minded individuals.

Work to develop younger talent quickly or they will go else where. Share strategic visions and plans with the company. Train and get feedback on managers, coach them and prepare them for their roles. Encourage more employee engagement in the community.

Daugherty Business Solutions Photos