Daugherty Business Solutions

Updated January 20, 2015
3.5

Daugherty Business Solutions President & CEO Ron Daugherty
Ron Daugherty

Pros
  • Work life balance is a reality at Daugherty with in town clients and 40 to 50 hour work weeks (in 13 reviews)

• For the most part, Daugherty practices a local delivery model (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Daugherty is a staff aug company that tries to sell itself as a consultancy on par with big 4 (in 12 reviews)

• Staff augmentation feel at certain clients (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

The best there is.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoy a stead work/life balance while gaining a ton of experience, picking up state of the art skills, expanding your communication skills.

Also, the free food & beverages, great peers, social events, and after hours learning opportunities are a plus.

Cons

Client work comes and goes, so you will have to be patient in-between projects. Don't worry though bench-work will keep you busy. ;)

Negotiating more vacation days would be a HUGE factor to change during the hiring process.

*This one perk could spike your retention and prevent talented candidates from accepting other offers. Think about it, 1 or 2 weeks of additional vacation in return for talented candidates that could potentially revolutionize your future business for years to come.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Full Time employment with the ability to work for several different clients, hence gaining tons of real word experience.

Cons

Focus on the "consutlant" is preached, but not always acheived.

Your product is your consultantcy. More focus needs to be nurturing your product and not just "selling" it.

Daugherty helps me grow my career, I have input on my assignments, clients value our work and our leadership.

Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work, Career, Colleagues, Compensation, Benefits. I enjoy the work I do. Daugherty is completely behind growing my career, and they take my input into account for new assignments. My colleagues are definitely the best I've worked with, very competent contributors and leaders. With branches in several cities, we have many internal experts to leverage. But we work locally, I haven't done any travel. I'm totally satisfied with my compensation and benefits. Three times I've had medical providers say, "Wow, you have good benefits!"

Cons

As with any growing company, especially a consulting company, it can be difficult to get to know your colleagues as your company grows. I know those I've worked with, and our quarterly meetings and events help us get to know each other.

Keep up everything you're doing.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for career growth in the Atlanta Office

Cons

Sometimes a long commute to get to office

Continue doing what your doing

Great Place To Work, but Requires Commitment

Current Employee - Consultant/Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant/Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The health benefits are the best available. There is significant room for growth and advancement. Compensation is on par or above similar companies. The culture is supportive and encouraging, and the company works hard to maintain it. They hire intelligent capable people, so the teams you're on will be filled with those types of people. Opportunities for personal development abound, but you must be willing to devout some time outside of working hours to take advantage of them.

Cons

2 weeks of starting vacation can be a little on the short side. If you aren't someone who's comfortable speaking up, you can get stuck in a location or assignment you aren't happy with for a long time. If you're only looking for 9-5 job with no commitments outside those hours, you won't find it here. Mid level and low level management can often be more of a hindrance to work than a help, and it seems that those managers are not being adequately coached or prepared for their roles. All consultants are expected to have technical and professional skills, which must grow together for promotion. This can be a problem for more technically minded individuals.

Work to develop younger talent quickly or they will go else where. Share strategic visions and plans with the company. Train and get feedback on managers, coach them and prepare them for their roles. Encourage more employee engagement in the community.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Experienced co-workers ,Great benefits and good salary

Cons

Daugherty have great people but do not have the right projects to place them.

Need more sales to get right projects to fit peoples profiles,

Not a consulting company for the majority of their clients, staff augmentation is not consulting

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

good health insurance, paid bench time (in between clients)

Cons

don't expect consulting roles and/or responsibility

A refreshing change of pace and practice after leaving big four consulting.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work life balance is a reality at Daugherty with in town clients and 40 to 50 hour work weeks.

Their is paid overtime. Paid overtime means that leadership is thoughtful about when and when not to keep people late. It helps regulate the perception that working late creates greater value by actually measuring the value with additional dollars.

Daugherty team members are intelligent, approachable and have a business casual attitude that I find refreshing after the big four ego maniacs and fake-it-till-they-make-it performers. Daugherty team members are diverse from a number of levels including intellectually open to explore a variety of topics and perspectives with open minds.

Cons

The vacation package isn't great but it is a trade off given that work weeks do not exceed 40 to 50 hours.
    Bonuses exist but are more of a tip than a bonus. Again, when weighing other benefits this isn't as bad as it may seem.

Continue to build distinct Daugherty solutions to differentiate us from any association with staff augmentation.

Great, local alternative to national consulting companies

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Daugherty is a growing company with many opportunities for consultants. Similar to the national firms, it is a true consultancy offering full time employees a career path without all the travel. With the recent growth, there are leadership opportunities across many of the large accounts.

Cons

Daugherty needs to work to maintain the small company culture while it continues to grow. The benefits package is very good, especially the healthcare, but the vacation policy needs to be fixed for more senior consultants.

The company has had a lot of growth in the past few years. They need to maintain a long-term strategy while also addressing immediate client demands.
    Continuing to find good work for each of their consultants is the key to keeping and attracting talent while continuing to help the customer.

Just Another Consulting Company

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

- Good Pay
    - Excellent Health Benefits
    - Good Training Opportunities

Cons

- Long hours after billable time is required to make yourself known.
    - Some managers should not be in management positions.
    - Not much opportunity to change accounts.

Leadership at the client level is seriously lacking.
    Provide more opportunities for changing clients since this is what you sell consultants on.
    Provide a better picture of consulting life to new employees. Recruiters make it sound like it is all rainbows and ponies when it isn't.

Daugherty Business Solutions Photos