Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
120 reviews filtered by

Daugherty helps me grow my career, I have input on my assignments, clients value our work and our leadership.

Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work, Career, Colleagues, Compensation, Benefits. I enjoy the work I do. Daugherty is completely behind growing my career, and they take my input into account for new assignments. My colleagues are definitely the best I've worked with, very competent contributors and leaders. With branches in several cities, we have many internal experts to leverage. But we work locally, I haven't done any travel. I'm totally satisfied with my compensation and benefits. Three times I've had medical providers say, "Wow, you have good benefits!"

Cons

As with any growing company, especially a consulting company, it can be difficult to get to know your colleagues as your company grows. I know those I've worked with, and our quarterly meetings and events help us get to know each other.

Advice to Management

Keep up everything you're doing.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experienced co-workers ,Great benefits and good salary

Cons

Daugherty have great people but do not have the right projects to place them.

Advice to Management

Need more sales to get right projects to fit peoples profiles,

Not a consulting company for the majority of their clients, staff augmentation is not consulting

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

good health insurance, paid bench time (in between clients)

Cons

don't expect consulting roles and/or responsibility

Great, local alternative to national consulting companies

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Daugherty is a growing company with many opportunities for consultants. Similar to the national firms, it is a true consultancy offering full time employees a career path without all the travel. With the recent growth, there are leadership opportunities across many of the large accounts.

Cons

Daugherty needs to work to maintain the small company culture while it continues to grow. The benefits package is very good, especially the healthcare, but the vacation policy needs to be fixed for more senior consultants.

Advice to Management

The company has had a lot of growth in the past few years. They need to maintain a long-term strategy while also addressing immediate client demands.
    Continuing to find good work for each of their consultants is the key to keeping and attracting talent while continuing to help the customer.

Just Another Consulting Company

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

- Good Pay
    - Excellent Health Benefits
    - Good Training Opportunities

Cons

- Long hours after billable time is required to make yourself known.
    - Some managers should not be in management positions.
    - Not much opportunity to change accounts.

Advice to Management

Leadership at the client level is seriously lacking.
    Provide more opportunities for changing clients since this is what you sell consultants on.
    Provide a better picture of consulting life to new employees. Recruiters make it sound like it is all rainbows and ponies when it isn't.

A refreshing change of pace and practice after leaving big four consulting.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is a reality at Daugherty with in town clients and 40 to 50 hour work weeks.

Their is paid overtime. Paid overtime means that leadership is thoughtful about when and when not to keep people late. It helps regulate the perception that working late creates greater value by actually measuring the value with additional dollars.

Daugherty team members are intelligent, approachable and have a business casual attitude that I find refreshing after the big four ego maniacs and fake-it-till-they-make-it performers. Daugherty team members are diverse from a number of levels including intellectually open to explore a variety of topics and perspectives with open minds.

Cons

The vacation package isn't great but it is a trade off given that work weeks do not exceed 40 to 50 hours.
    Bonuses exist but are more of a tip than a bonus. Again, when weighing other benefits this isn't as bad as it may seem.

Advice to Management

Continue to build distinct Daugherty solutions to differentiate us from any association with staff augmentation.

8. Basically staff Aug but some good projects at a couple of good local clients.

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions

Pros

Very good compensation and PTO, hires lots of great experienced consultants, hiring process moved very quickly, nice branch office in Oakbrook, good effort at organizing branch social/networking events. People are generally nice to work with.

Cons

Long commute to the main client in Deerfield, must be onsite at all times - working from home is frowned upon. Sharing cubes with other consultants at the client site. Lots of hiring activity but high turnover results in no/little growth at the Chicago branch.

Advice to Management

Need to address staff Aug nature of work and high turnover. A bit more thought/conversation about staffing decisions - putting consultants in the right roles.

A great consulting firm to work for

Current Employee - Project/Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project/Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

One of the key benefits of working at Daugherty is the local business model (no travel).
    This company is very focused on excellent client delivery and has an excellent reputation.
    The management team is great to work with and they really want you to succeed. They try very hard to place you in assignments that fit with your career plans.
    The firm is small enough that you can make a big contribution to the growth and success of the firm, but big enough to have a good portfolio of clients and a growing range of technical and strategic solutions.
    The health benefits plan is the best around.

Cons

The vesting period for the 401k plan should be reduced.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on treating your employees well.
    Improve the 401k plan vesting period.

10. Ambition and Aggressive Company Growth

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bloomington, MN

Pros

The benefits package is Excellent. The Health Insurance is unbelievable!
    The Salary package and vacation is very competitive with consulting salaries in the Twin City market.
    You get fully paid "bench time" which is a fantastic perk for a consulting firm (in this post Dotcom age)
    After 6 months with the firm, you qualify for good "interest free" loan to buy a new PC.
    Beautiful corporate HQ in Bloomington, MN (for the MN branch)
    At worst, you are required to travel about 25% of the time, depending on the client assignment.
    Good brand recognition in the consulting industry (at least locally in MN).
    The management is fair and ethical in its business practices with clients and consultants.
    A very strong offering in the BI (Business Intelligence) market with a great "banner client".
    The MN branch has 2 very solid "banner clients" in ESI and Target.

Cons

Still in rapid growth mode in the Twin Cities, so suffers from a lack of mature business processes (for example, the on boarding process needs some work)
    Consultants with previous healthcare background will probably get placed at ESI (Express Scripts) which is a challenging work environment (a "known meat grinder")
    The on site client managers are fairly new and lack experience in the role but they are good people (in my opinion) and will develop into good managers over time.
    Currently, the consultant attrition rate is relatively high (especially at ESI) due to lack of support to a past group of consultants.
    This company has "Big 4" management consulting ambitions but currently lacks the project "pipeline" of real management consulting projects of a Big 4 firm.
    I would say that 80-90% of the consulting projects are traditional "staff augmentation" roles not real "management consulting" projects. The roles are good and usually high level depending on the experience of the consultant.

Advice to Management

Growth is great but spend some time and resources on developing your on site consulting team managers and also on retaining your highly paid consultants. This will payoff in both the long and short term.

Culture, Aptitude and Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

What Daugherty Business Solutions brings to the table is different from most other consulting companies. They are excellence focused - hence the aptitude. They espouse a culture of delivering value - hence making you invaluable to the customer you're consulting for. And they are small enough, and growing rapidly, for you to grow with. They have a welcoming workforce that wants to see you succeed - and they have fun too. Non-existent politics. What more could one ask for.

Cons

Caution! You may become a bit of a nerd here. Translation: you will become very good and versatile in your area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the growth momentum and culture. And keep providing opportunities to your consultants. They're the reason for your success.

Daugherty Business Solutions Photos