Daughters of Charity Health System

Daughters of Charity Health System Reviews

2.9

Robert Issai
1 Rating

Great heart, great people, but perhaps, unsustainable

I worked at Daughters of Charity Health System

Pros

All the people who worked for this organization were very nice, which makes for a pleasant work environment. The Sisters are gracious and strong and I have the highest respect for them and how hard they work to uphold the inspiring values of this organization. Also, their health coverage for their employees, as you might expect, is very good. The work is honestly to help those in need of medical care who can't afford it, which is a worthy endeavor to participate in.

Cons

Unfortunately, their hospitals tend to lose money and this can make for an unstable work environment. This may lie with a business model that is no longer sustainable. To their credit, upper management went to great lengths to try to ameliorate the collateral damage of their hospitals.

Some truly great people at DOCHS, the CEO in particular and the Sisters themselves are admirable and honorable people. Those in management of the individual hospitals can sometimes be a different story - and their mismanagement seemed to pull down the whole of the organization's efforts, which is tragic. So, when upper management of an individual hospital is going badly, it is worth the headache to ensure they are not allowed to drag down what is a truly inspired cause. To not do so or to take appropriate measures to ensure they are doing their job properly seemed to cause a myriad of problems for the entire organization.
    I hope the Daughters are able to continue their mission. I am proud to say I was able to support their cause and I hope their influence spreads throughout the healthcare industry.

Challenging environment. Managers need improvement.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Daughters of Charity Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging environment. Fast paced. Great learning environment.

Cons

Charge Nurses don't seem to know how to make assignments. Managers don't always listen to employees.

Listen to your RNs. They are the backbone of your group and not the charge RNs!

Negative work environment with poor worklife balance

I worked at Daughters of Charity Health System

Pros

Sisters are available and present

Cons

Organization is 20 years behind the times. Minimal assistance is provided to mid-level management but many demands are placed on them by the senior level management team. HR department is poorly managed but there is no insight by the senior level team into this issue.

Learn to trust the management team that you hire and treat them with dignity and respect. Stop attacking the management team when your goals are not met as it is not all about reports, healthcare is about people receiving high quality patient and family centered care.

There was poor communication between people and management's tone at the top is not very good.

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Daughters of Charity Health System

Pros

I heard the benefits were good, but I'm a temp worker so I did not get the benefits. The company had company lunches and parties from time to time and all the employees are invited. There are Christmas parties and white elephant event.

Cons

The accounts payable management is very poor. She had extremely bad communication skills because she is in the office 24/7. When she wanted something done, she would tell someone to tell me and never come to me herself even if she had the chance.
    There is a lot of unnecessary gossip in the accounting department. People gossip behind each other's back and there is just this un written tension between everyone. Basically to summarize it, a majority of the people there is very fake. It was a fake smile, fake everything. The culture at the place had a lot of tention... I go to there to work, and mind my own business, but these accounts payable techs have to always stir some drama for absolutely no reason. And these people here don't even have a college degree and basically if you don't mix with the crowd, you will not get promoted. Its a lot of politics here. I would not work here for perm. even if they extended my contract. People here are also unskilled. Just way too much politics. It is unfair. Its all about seniority here.

Accounting/AP department head, needs better communication skills. Don't lock yourself in the office all day and when you finally come out, have a frown on your face like you just went through hell. Just because you went through hell, doesn't mean everyone at work has to get your contageous frown.

Great co-workers, unethical senior administration

I worked at Daughters of Charity Health System

Pros

Great medical benefits, Excellent coworkers

Cons

Unskilled senior administration, Unwillingness to innovate

Treat your employees with respect and integrity they deserve. Check your turn over rates by department and hold those department leaders accountable.