Dave & Buster's

Updated October 20, 2014
2.8

Dave & Buster's CEO and CFO Steve King
Steve King

Pros
  • I worked in the corporate office and it was a fun environment (in 8 reviews)

• Good money for sure, but has steadily decreased since the remodel (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no appreciation for work done (in 8 reviews)

• Employees are told that they can't work over 28 hours because of the Affordable Care Act that was passed by President Obama (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun to the core, for sure.

Former Employee - Game Technician in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Game Technician in Westminster, CO

I worked at Dave & Buster's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you really love games and food (and who doesn't), the environment in the building is right for you. The vibe is high, the energy is flowing, and the games are.... really loud. People are usually always smiling-- the guests love to come here to enjoy themselves. The staff is encouraged to challenge themselves with back-of-house contests. Well, the wait-staff. The arcade technicians are often excluded from such festivities.

Cons

The training for the arcade technicians leaves much to be desired. The tools for success aren't necessarily ready-at-hand, but if you work hard and stay diligent, you can overcome their electronics training deficiencies.

The training for arcade technicians needs to be changed. During my time with the company, I had created an outline of a proposed revision to the training program, including videos and ipad integration, and was encouraged by all members of house management to present the ideas to our Regional Amusements Manager on his trip to our store. Unfortunately, the Regional Amusements Manager attempted to take the credit and tried to convince me to produce more work for him (work that had nothing to do with my project) to push up the chain. Perhaps the upper management should be more supportive of bringing ideas forth from the bottom, and refrain from exploiting their most dedicated people. The Bright Ideas program was unknown to me until after this event occurred, and another manager brought the information to me, to attempt a different route. Unfortunately for D&B, I had been burned by my only corporate contact with a selfish motivation. It is unfortunate for Dave & Busters. I still had so much to offer. However, I went on to pursue my other job (electronics laboratory research--highly applicable to the technician position) full-time and was forced to leave D&B behind.

Bottom line, Upper Management: Try not to burn out the fire in your Shining Stars.

The sad reality is this: I wanted to make D&B a meaningful hobby job for me. I genuinely desired to help the company succeed through the improvement of a vital part of their amusements success. I remember the other technicians and managers telling me when I first arrived, ready to put in 100% of my effort, that I would most likely be gone within a few weeks and on to something better. I didn't understand at first, but I fully understand now.

Exciting

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Dave & Buster's

Pros

The coworkers are awesome, it's like a big family. Everyday is different than the last. Fast paced

Cons

Management is ungreatful, you'll almost never get a compliment out of them, hours are irregular

Be more positive and suppiritve to your workers

Educational

Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Phila, PA

I have been working at Dave & Buster's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work in a fast pace environment and meet tons of new people each day, the employees and the customers. I had a lot of fun working there

Cons

Sometimes not everyone did their side work so it was harder on the incoming person then had to do double the work, people just being lazy.

The upper management there was great I became very close to quite a few of them, and I do miss them dearly.

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Captain in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Captain in Miami, FL

I worked at Dave & Buster's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at D&B is a blast you meet new people, the Staff is Generally both professional and a lot of fun. The managers overall are cool and they do listen to the employees when they have a good idea.

Cons

I was at the dolphin Mall Store and because I'm not Hispanic I ran into a Daily issues with the quest's about not speaking the language. A few managers made the mistake of speaking Spanish to a customer complaint then they would attempt to discipline me over the issue. I had to remind those managers that, that was wrong and that they should speak only English in my presence.

Those guys in the back office are great, my only issue would be if a employee is going thru the process of becoming a manager trainee all completed issues should be sent to the new store with the employee when their is a transfer of said employee

I had a good time at Dave & Busters.

Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I would say that the best reasons for working here are the people. The work staff became good friends.

Cons

I would say the management didn't care to much about the needs of their employees which cut down on the moral in the company.

Have a bowling night, a game night, or something. Treat everyone with respect and do not show favoritism.

Ok

Former Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dave & Buster's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not too bad. Pretty much a standard job. Nothing great, nothing all too terrible.

Cons

Sometimes medium bad. But not really all that often, for a service job. Overall, not that many cons, pretty chill.

Limit the medium bad moments. Otherwise, pretty solid, folks.

Worked at DnB as a server for five years

Former Employee - Server in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Hilliard, OH

I worked at Dave & Buster's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met a lot of friends here. The pay was great for a first job. Flexible hours. A lot of cool people came in to eat. Really nice business ethics when I first started.

Cons

Expect some coworkers to do whatever they can to make more money, even if that means screwing you over. The company does not care about you as a person or even a server. They only care if you can "upsell" their eat and play combos, their overpriced drinks, or overpriced game cards. Most servers call in their own surveys which gives weak servers bigger sections that they can't handle. Managers will put you on parties two days away that pay less than $5/hour or just schedule you to close six nights a week because no one else wants to. I've seen servers cry so that they will get switched from a party to the floor, and managers just let it happen. And then that same manager will give them a "Gotcha" card (free meal).

Act fair and consistent between servers. Judge servers based off their serving skill (order accuracy, refill speed, and guest satisfaction) instead of gimmicky "upsells". Rotate the low paying parties so the same dozen servers don't have to work them.

Not that great

I have been working at Dave & Buster's (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, make tips, up beat environment,

Cons

no way to move up

Ok place to hang out.

I worked at Dave & Buster's full-time

Pros

The new games are ok.

Cons

Stay away visit the place don't work there.

An alright place to make some extra money while in season and has its flexibility of schedule.

Current Employee - Wait Staff in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Wait Staff in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good money when it's not summer time (everyone wants to be outside and many mods options for families other than dave and busters). Fall winter and early spring we get pretty busy on the weekends. It can get a little ghetto sometimes as we are are close to a big city. Tips very from nothing to a rich family leaving you 100 bucks (rarely). It's reasonable to expect 100-200 a shift. Other than money they offer benefits as well as very flexible availability (as long as it's not in the heart of busy season)

Cons

Can be ghetto. Slow dieting the week when kids are in school. Managers are in professional and so not tub the Conant efficiently at times. Hourly pay sucks. Sometimes we will not be busy at all but management week keep 5 servers on the floor just to abuse their power, not sure why. Open 365 days a year :( long long hours on your feet when busy with no break to eat.

Need to really make sure your managers know how to properly run a business...and when to cut the floor down to an appropriate amount of wait staff. Too many times we are understaffed running around and forced to take tables, our managers will not put us on a wait as long as tables are still available and we are forced to gI've terrible service. Other times they will leave many servers on the floor when we have only 2 tables in the d.r for 2 hours straight. The workers can't seem to win sometines. Fix thus and things would be a lot better!

Dave & Buster's Photos