Dave & Buster's

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Dave & Buster's CEO and CFO Steve King
Steve King

Pros
  • I got to work with a lot of young people, young managers, in a fun environment (in 8 reviews)

• Good money for sure, but has steadily decreased since the remodel (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Open 365 days a year :( long long hours on your feet when busy with no break to eat (in 9 reviews)

• Absolutely no room for improvement unless you are an exceptional server (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun

Current Employee - Front Desk/Host in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Front Desk/Host in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You meet great people, it's fast paced, and it's a ton of fun. Free games and discounted food too!

Cons

As with any customer service job, the people can be a pain. But it's not that bad, people stay to themselves for the most part.

A little more hours would be nice.

it is a fun place to work at

Current Employee - Line Cook in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Dave & Buster's

Pros

like working with the people.

Cons

work fulltime instead of part time

be more open with staff

Peak Hours were extremely stressful, not enough techs to handle demand.

Former Employee - Game Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Game Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dave & Buster's

Pros

People who were not management were nice. Somewhat flexible with shifts.

Cons

Treated as a Restaurant/Bar first and Game Room gets neglected. Not enough Techs working during peak business hours, Felt like shark bait at times when numerous customers clamoring for my assistance all at them same time. I honestly felt bad for them because I couldn't help everyone when they needed me. Management tended to be condescending if you were not in their click which led to favoritism. Company is Stingy with money and would rather see their Brand suffer than do what is needed to make customers happy.

Need more Techs on floor, Dont be frugal with coverage on the Game Room Floor. Just as a good customer experience in the Dining Room is paramount so should it be in the Game Room.

Many opportunities for growth, but employees are not treated well

Current Employee - Special Event Consultant
    Current Employee - Special Event Consultant

I have been working at Dave & Buster's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun, lots of opportunities to move up. The star training program provides 'star' employees a great opportunity to advance with the company. The Blue and Orange program is also a really great advancement opportunity where employees get to travel around the country to assist in the opening of new stores.

Cons

Poor management. While some can be trustworthy many are power-hungry and do not seem to care about the opinion of their employees. There is a lot of unprofessional banter that goes on and this sometime makes them very unapproachable. Employees are underpaid and very often treated unfairly.

Fun and laid back

Former Employee - Server in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Dave & Buster's

Pros

Cool people< laid back managers

Cons

Stressful, drama, no room for promotion

Winner circle

Current Employee - Winner Circle Staff in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Winner Circle Staff in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Half off food ,free video game play ,one big family,everyone loves to give help when help is needed

Cons

People love to test your patience,have to learn how to deal with people that drink to much

None

Favoritism....oh what "fun"

Current Employee - Bartender in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Dave & Buster's (more than a year)

Pros

They pretty much leave you alone if you're doing your job properly and don't cause any trouble/issues. I can count on one hand how many times I've been talked to about something in a year and a half.

Cons

Unless you're on the "favorites" list, one will not get hours, advancement, prime shifts, etc.

I was hired on at full time hours when the place first opened, but at one point got cut down to ten hours one week due to the company being too cheap because of obamacare. Since we had a manager shift my hours have gone back up to 28 hours (her "favorites list" got scrapped thankfully.

Let people know where they stand that way there will be no surprises. If there is no chance of advancement, let one know immediately as opposed to dangling that carrot in front of them.

Never have I ever felt so betrayed and used.

Former Employee - Cocktail Server in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cocktail Server in Denver, CO

I worked at Dave & Buster's

Pros

I was SO happy when I originally got this job. I had been dealing with being homeless and lost everything. The management at first was phenomenal and were the first supervisors Ive ever worked for who actually worked WITH ME and understood that my life was a little rocky. It was a fantastically fun and upbeat place to work. But then suddenly things just started to fall apart....

Cons

DRAMA! Gossip! As many of us in the restaurant industry know, its like high school all over again. I had to deal with having a coworker who had almost begun being a full on stalker. She was obsessed with me it seemed. She barely ever wore makeup then suddenly starts showing up with the color scheme I always rocked. She added MY friends on social media (She had none of the same interests as us) and then goes on to my friends page and starts making up lies and such. (This also being a day or so after she gave me winter clothes..... after we had been having issues..... ummm what?) So its discouraging to see that the company hires such unstable, possibly crazy, possibly dangerous people.

I was being written up left and right from a walkout (That my manager literally walked away as soon as my table said they weren't going to pay because the security guard wouldn't let the host back in because we were booked beyond capacity.... One by law thats not his job, two we had been over capacity for the past few hours that night. So how is it fair on my guest or I to do this?) SO I get blamed with the walk out, then get accused 2 days later of "stealing" because it had "been brought to their attention" the table left cash on the table before they left so I was under investigation for thievery.... THATS slander!

I was accused of stealing, of saying "disrespectful things about guests", heck even written up for being FIVE minutes late to a shift that supposedly I was confused for, and having a "bad attitude".... That really hurts because I am always the one trying to keep everyone else in a good mood :/

Dont do the power trip thing! Being a manager doesn't make you better than anyone.

Try listening to your workers and understand that just because you aren't going through what they are or don't understand something, doesn't mean there needs to be retaliation.

Also don't have managers who do absolutely nothing when one of your employees nearly has a body part mutilated.
    (I had a drunk guest knock a glass into the trash by accident and when I go to dig it out, the drunk guy PICKS UP ANOTHER glass, aims it right at the trash and throws it. I pulled my arm away just in time, fuming I call over a manager tell them what happened, they go and speak with the group then comes back and tells me everything is ok now....... Im sorry but I think someone vandalizing company property and nearly assaulting your employees should be worth more than letting someone stay just so you don't have to do some work or because it will make the company more money by them being there)

PLEASE! Do some self evaluating and see that, there are at times incredibly hard workers who love their job and love working for you..... so why take things out on them or let gossip get the better of you?

You're just a number.

Former Employee - Area Operations Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Area Operations Manager in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Dave & Buster's (more than a year)

Pros

Free food and free games.

Cons

No breaks. High stress. Noisy. Way too much on your plate for what you're getting paid. Good ol boys system. Hard work goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Too many "alpha males" trying to out do each other.

Value your key players. Value your star managers and celebrate their contributions to the company. Focus on retention rather than numbers so much. Show appreciation and be consistent with it. Too many key players getting burned out because they aren't being recognized. Pay your management team what they are worth based on performance, not years spent in the industry.

Easy Money

Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Dave & Buster's

Pros

Easy money, great coworkers, easy to move up.

Cons

The customers are a pain, not to mention discounts/coupon specials that happen daily.

Dave & Buster's Photos