Dave & Buster's

Updated November 18, 2014
2.8

Dave & Buster's CEO and CFO Steve King
Steve King

Pros
  • I worked in the corporate office and it was a fun environment (in 8 reviews)

• Good money for sure, but has steadily decreased since the remodel (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no appreciation for work done (in 8 reviews)

• Employees are told that they can't work over 28 hours because of the Affordable Care Act that was passed by President Obama (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun !

Current Employee - Server in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Server in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers are very laid back and the tips are good (well if you're a great waiter of course). Everyone is like family. Also, the company prefers internal hiring which is great for those who would like to work their way up the ladder.

Cons

Because this isn't a normal restaurant, it can be difficult to manage the amount of employees in different departments. It can become very chaotic and easy to get lost in the midst of things.

My advice to management would be to get and stay on the same page. I support everyone's management style as long as general outline of rules/regulations stays the same.

They don't care much

Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can be fun interacting with guests. Music is always playing. 50% off your meals and free game play for employees on video games only.

Cons

Bye weekends. I was a front desk/host. Hosting is fine. But as front desk you can not leave. A manager or another employee is to cover your spot for bathroom breaks. So you can forget about it if it's a weekend(or Wednesday) because it's too busy. They also cut most employees hours to 28 because they don't want to give insurance.
    Customers will complain about ANYTHING to get a gift card and manager s will always kiss up to it. Basically people get rewarded for treating you like ****

Lunch breaks and bathrooms breaks are the LAW.

dishwasher

I have been working at Dave & Buster's

Pros

free food if you work long shifts

Cons

long hours for free food

Very negative company to work for. Management is horrible.

Current Employee - Bartender in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Bartender in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. There is nothing else positive to say about a company that doesn't back their employees.

Cons

No room for growth. Management plays favoritism. Treat you like you're in high school.

Do your job properly. Stop bullying employees.

one year with dnb

Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Duluth, GA

I worked at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay managers are sweet and understandable and always has your back, paid vacation if your with the company for a few months, discounts, great part time (second job), flexible

Cons

no growth, hard to get raises, not guaranteed hours of 28 a week, schedules are unorganized, shifts can go as long as 14 hours a day

train employees better, value dedicated and loyal employees more

Server

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of fun, interacting with many different people

Cons

Sometimes hours were really long

Not bad, but too much manager and staff drama

Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk/Host in Irvine, CA

I worked at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was front desk/hostess. Chill environment with cool co workers that were friendly to you. Got close to everyone really fast and we would hang out after work.

Cons

It sucked when I got tipped on the credit card charges but I was not allowed to take it. Well organized and my co workers were cool. The benefits were alright but getting days off and stuff was a drag and even though you asked for certain days off weeks ahead of time, they wouldn't grant them.

Hectic but could be worse.

Current Employee - Server in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Orange, CA

I have been working at Dave & Buster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shifts are easy to pick up, but they only allow you to work 28 hours a week.
    When it's busy, it is VERY busy, so even if you're making crappy tips all night, the quantity of guests in and out will allow you to make decent money.
    Lots of different serving sections to work in so there is a change of scenery.
    So many co-workers that even if you don't like half of them, you still have a good amount to talk to.
    Everyone is generally nice.

Cons

Managers have been known to be moody and don't hide it well- they also play favorites.
    Your shifts and sections are based largely on the amount of surveys you get in. Unfortunately, guests never want to do them so people call in their own surveys and get sections that they can't handle.
    I have had shifts go as late as 3 am and during Grad Night season, shifts can end at 7 am.
    Managers are always hard to find when needed. I have no idea where they go but they seem to always be missing when everyone needs them.
    It isn't unheard of that a manager will change your shift without asking if you are available.
    It still is a BAR so you deal with drunk people often.

Consistency is key in managing such a large restaurant.

Excellent Professional Development

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dave & Buster's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had an excellent GM who taught me about financials, business acumen and how to develop others.

Cons

Compensation is less than average.

Worked at DnB as a server for five years

Former Employee - Server in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Hilliard, OH

I worked at Dave & Buster's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met a lot of friends here. The pay was great for a first job. Flexible hours. A lot of cool people came in to eat. Really nice business ethics when I first started.

Cons

Expect some coworkers to do whatever they can to make more money, even if that means screwing you over. The company does not care about you as a person or even a server. They only care if you can "upsell" their eat and play combos, their overpriced drinks, or overpriced game cards. Most servers call in their own surveys which gives weak servers bigger sections that they can't handle. Managers will put you on parties two days away that pay less than $5/hour or just schedule you to close six nights a week because no one else wants to. I've seen servers cry so that they will get switched from a party to the floor, and managers just let it happen. And then that same manager will give them a "Gotcha" card (free meal).

Act fair and consistent between servers. Judge servers based off their serving skill (order accuracy, refill speed, and guest satisfaction) instead of gimmicky "upsells". Rotate the low paying parties so the same dozen servers don't have to work them.

Dave & Buster's Photos