Davenport University

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard J. Pappas

My experience at Davenport University was extremely positive.

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
    Battle Creek, MI

ProsAs an adjunct faculty member, I was made to feel like I was a valuable part of their team. We were included in training opportunities and semester kick-off meetings.

ConsThere were some student attendance issues that negatively impacted the overall classroom experience. However, policies and practices were being instituted to try and address student attendance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing.

The leadership is egotistical, disengaged, and will be the university's downfall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIncredible staff and faculty who truly care about students and their success. Despite no raises in two years, and people leaving in droves, the employees keep on fighting the good fight.

ConsLeadership claims to be "open" and willing to engage. It's a joke. The president makes over $600,000 a year and yet they are eliminating positions/not refilling essential roles for people who barely make $30,000.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for a new president. Get rid of the top heavy, budget-sucking good old boy club.

GREAT People, Poor Senior Management

Grand Rapids, MI

ProsRelatively relaxed environment but with major caveats
    People are great, Teams are great, supervisors are great (So good, the cons can ALMOST be overlooked)
    Great career opportunities
    Lots of time off, but this will likely get cut based on trend
    Values are good if they were followed by senior management

ConsUniversity hires 1 person to do the job of 3-5 people with the salary of <1
    Work-life balance is not there due to above
    Senior Management preaches values but doesn't follow any of them
    Compensation doesn't come close to industry levels for anyone but senior management (which are WAY WAY overpaid)
    Benefit costs go up 5% or more every year and we don't get pay increases so we've actually been getting pay cuts every year for at least 3 years
    New this year, benefits get cut AND prices go up
    Other low reviews refer to the previous president which were not inaccurate, right now, it's worse

Advice to Senior ManagementUniversity is in need of leadership change, find a new President that didn't leave his previous employer in ruins
    Don't preach transparency then lie to employees or hide critical facts
    Don't cut pay/benefits and lay employees off then celebrate "success" by giving raises/bonuses to senior management, that is not leadership, that is extortion

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People, Poor Management, and Pay

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsMy boss, Associate dept. chair and dept chair were great people. Got to do a lot of neat things and earned a ton.

ConsUpper management was very stiff, especially in the college of Arts and Science. Unwilling to try new teaching styles. Asinine push for online learning, which in my opinion does not work well at the undergraduate level. Great for Grad class but very poor for undergrad. I had to leave because I was not making a livable wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with experiential learning and quit pushing online. We all know the financial side of online is wonderful for the school but its going to bite you soon. Be nice to your employees. I loved my boss but I couldn't afford to do anything with my family. Pay was my reason for leaving.

A good place to work

ProsGreat people to work with and very team oriented. Students are our number one priority. Decent salary and good benefits.

ConsLack of information shared between departments.

OK to work for, but not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are terrific; great paid time off; some genuinely nice people work there.

ConsVery business-like mentality as opposed to an educational institution mentality. Very formal atmosphere from the top down. I don't think many people "truly" feel like they can open up/be themselves.

A great place to work

Student Workshop (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsStudent Workshop: It is a great way to make a little bit of cash on campus while taking classes. You get to meet a lot of people, and network. Great way to get involved on campus

ConsStudent Workshop: The pay is pretty low, but what is there to expect. Certain student jobs only allow up to a certain amount of part time hours.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

Over all a good place to work

ProsThe benefit package is above expectations

ConsSenior Management seems to have Chronic Cranial Rectalitus when it comes to those of us on the lower ranks. We haven't received a raise in two years under the guise of " We are all in this together" when in reality the President just received a $60,000 + raise and the rest of the exec staff has received who knows what.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo see a specialist about that cranial rectalitus. The methane exposure is imparing your judgment when it comes to the Rank and File compensation (salary, not benefits) package.

Great co-workers...but that's about it

Detroit, MI

ProsGreat vacation time and insurance and wonderful co-workers

ConsAwful management, especially upper management, very out of touch of what goes on in the frontline. Only interested in keeping enrollment numbers up and shows no concern for the students or it's staff. This information pertains to several years ago when the previous President was in office. The current environment could be better or worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be true leaders and educated in higher ed. and also follow what they teach in their school. Also they should treat staff with more respect and allow them to be leaders in their fields and award them for their good work

Terrible place to work - even worse place to study!

Work-Study (Current Employee)
    Flint, MI

ProsVery eager admission representatives and student advisors

ConsPredatory financial aid practices that purposefully target lower income, African American and Hispanic populations in inner cities, whose are not fully aware of how detrimental taking out student loans you can't pay back can be.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop your preying on Flint & Saginaw, Michigan! You're vultures feeding off the student bodies there in order to fund construction at your "main" campus.

Worked for Davenport University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Davenport University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Davenport University CEO Richard J. Pappas. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Davenport University employees.