Davey Tree

Davey Tree President, CEO, and Director Karl J. Warnke

Karl J. Warnke

Review of the company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kent, OH

ProsFair benefits, good work environment, flexible scheduling

ConsManagement is not consistent, not logical

Time is money...you gotta bill those dollars out..Make that money for the big boyz.

Lawn Care Technician (Former Employee) New Berlin, WI

ProsDepending where you're located at, you could work with a pretty good group of guys or possibly not.

Provided decent training and continuing education. Will work with you to get your certifications.

ConsWas promised a full-time, yearly position but it turned into a seasonal position. All the old workers knew this would happen so I was hired under false pretenses.

Uniforms provided but they are inadequate for jobs.

Low paying blue collar job. Was promised raises that never happened. It was never said directly but workers were asked to work extra hours for no pay if they could not bill enough hours to cover the daily wages. And then it was frowned upon when workers, on days that they billed more than enough to cover their daily wages, wanted to record extra hours to make up for the "free" hours they had given previously.

A lot of equipment was poorly maintained and workers abused equipment often which didn't help management in trying to acquire new equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate the blue collar workers a little better and you will improve the quality of your work force.

Don't make promises and lie to employees, be honest and communicate with employees.

Great place to work!

Office Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNo micro managing, very flexible with my hours when needed (doctor appointments etc). Small, close knit office. One of my favorite jobs.

ConsThe hours can be long during bad weather times (hurricanes). Only opportunity to move up from Office Coordinator would be to move to Kent Ohio or become an arborist.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere really isn't much I would say to the direct leadership in the office I worked in. The communication lines between corporate and district offices tend to go down at times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was okay

Data Collector (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood benefits and decent pay

ConsIncompetent bosses that mismanage projects

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization is lacking and should be a point of focus for improvement

DAVEY TREE has been a good experiences to me by teaching me and training

Foremen (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

Prosoportinities to get your ISA and your pertecide license , good benefits, good pay,

ConsDAVEY TREE has lots of performance to family menbers to be in management

Advice to Senior Managementwhen chooshing a general foreman make sure that they are capable of doing the job! not because they are family.

it is enjoyable

A Trimmer (Current Employee) Goshen, IN

Prosgood pay treated well desent benefits

Consgone alot frome home not enuff equipment

Advice to Senior Managementstop the favertisam

The work culture is very laid back. Everyone is respected

Consulting Utility Forester IV (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsIndependant, no micro management, work ouside, meet lots of people. Davey constanly educates us in the latest information in our field

ConsStrict boss about small things not big things

Advice to Senior ManagementChange dress policy. Offer quality vests with name and certification. Let us dress up or better than what we are told to wear. We are highly trained professionals but policy makes us wear a vest that makes us look like we are a meter reader or cross walk guard only because the company wants uniformity. As Arborists if we dress like an Arborist with a patch and a quaility saftey vest people are more likely to listen to our advice and respect our position

DRG

GIS Data Technician (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGain experience in utility management. Work outdoors

ConsSlow reimbursement for expenses paid out of pocket. Limited time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the little guys out there everyday getting the work done for you.

Great Internship

Corporate Communications Intern (Former Employee) Kent, OH

ProsTerrifically friendly managers and supervisors. They treated me like a real person, despite my being an inexperienced intern. This was also the first paid internship I ever had, and the pay was very fair. There were opportunities to travel, too.

ConsThe work was a bit boring at times . . . I was given long periods of time to complete relatively small projects. This may please some people, but I prefer to work at a fast pace with significant challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is in good hands; it shows. While their claim of "employee-owned" may be a bit misleading (in reality, it's owned by a very small number of employees), the company provides a solid (if occasionally mundane) working experience.

Rewarding company

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee owned, employee and customer focused company. Mgmt will generally help when needed and stay out of your way when not needed. Some of the senior management is out of touch with field management while others can be pretty effective. Generally its all about results. The fact that its not public allows for more long term management focus.

ConsYou work hard, expectations are high. Mostly a long term focus but still expectations are high for short term results.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communications

Worked for Davey Tree? Contribute to the Community!