Davey Tree

Davey Tree President, CEO, and Director Karl J. Warnke

Karl J. Warnke

Spent the better part of 2013 looking for signs of ALB in Bethel OH

Inventory Arborist (Former Employee) Bethel, OH

ProsThey take very good care of their employees. Any safety equipment needed, barring gloves, were provided. Loved working outside all day.

ConsI cannot think of anything worth mentioning, really.

Enjoyed working with my colleagues and the companies clients.

Office Manager (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsDealt with many prestigious government clients. The company provided on going training. Colleagues were fun to work with.

ConsPromotions usually meant a decrease in salary and/or relocation. Didn't feel the company motto of "Do it right, or not all" was always followed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn and listen from/to the managers and field personnel of branch offices regarding system changes/promotions/consolidations. Provide support when those changes are made.

DRG. Management Out Of Touch

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kent, OH

ProsHave a flexible schedule. Friendly co-workers.

ConsUsed to be a wonderful place to work but communication has broken down over the years and Davey, who used to be about the employees is now about the money for senior management. This leaves nothing for the other employees. Health benefits are terrible for an employee owned company. Employees are expected to work over 40 hours if salary without comp time. Annual raises are very poor, 1 1/2 percent. Bonuses are poor as well and do not compensate for the hours worked over the year. Hourly pay is very low compared to responsibilities given. Job titles are changed increasing responsibilities without adequate compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut of touch with employee needs. Pay attention if your team is unhappy and maybe you will not have so much turnover. Need to be more competitive with pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TCOT was a Great Company, Davey is a good company

Plant Health Care Technician (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood Benefits, good hours, good people

ConsThe slashing of all TCOT benefits and perks

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off the whole 2020 vision of being a billion dollar company before Karl Warnke retires and spend money taking care of the people who really get things done. You know, the people who ensure your care free, fat pocket, worry free retirement lives.

Davey Tree has been an excellent experience but I am now ready for something more challenging.

ProsDavey Tree values high quality work, following the motto of the company founder John Davey "Do it Right or Not at All."
    There are always opportunities to work on different projects in different divisions, if you are willing to relocate.

ConsAdvancement opportunities require relocation.
    Projects are often short-term and require more than 40 hour work weeks.
    Davey Tree is only beginning to explore environmental consulting and does not have much opportunity for high-level scientific/analytic work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate opportunities for quality employees and recognize workers for their talents.

Good place to work

Tree Climber (Current Employee) Solon, OH

ProsGreat building block company, can move up. Every day is different. Enjoyable for the most part.

ConsPay, to low for the job itself. Work way to much, some co-workers dont want to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more to get and keep good workers.

horrible-not worth the pay

ProsYou can have quite a bit of independent work

Consnot enough training-they leave you hanging a lot
    pay not high enough for level of work they expect
    cheap management
    no communication
    treat employees like #'s not people

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and stop being so cheap

GIS

ProsFlexibility, No dress code, very repetitive, Good work environment

ConsNO RAISES! Below average pay, No upward mobility, You will be stuck in the same position unles you are a brown noser.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Management

Plan on working really hard.

Arborist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsCamrodery with coworkers is good. Work outdoors. Can be exhilarating.

ConsLong hours, fast pace to achieve expected production, safety and quality of work are sidelined to production rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better communication. Need for more realistic work schedule, mandatory Saturdays and 15 hours overtime per week are to much.

DRG

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood field experience and enjoyed learning about the reasoning for the position

Consseems that if there is a brake down with communications of management and the client fault needs to be found. They seem to not be willing to give inexperienced employees a chance to make up for mistakes that may have been made.

Worked for Davey Tree? Contribute to the Community!