David J. Joseph Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.9

Keith B. Grass

Best family atmosphere from a company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is very relaxed.From the IT Director down everyone is approachable. I was approached by the CEO Keith Grass within the first month of employment and he, just like everyone else, is very easy going and takes the time to get to know you.

Cons

Lower salaries than competitors in the area.Mostly parallel advancement with only four steps from the bottom to the top.

DJJ

Former Employee - Brokerage Representative
    Former Employee - Brokerage Representative

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Flexibility in schedule (work-life balance)
    -Small teams

Cons

-Flat structure, lack of real culture that promotes growth
    -Growth is not always performance based

Create a better culture!

Poor Leadership

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time

Pros

I was able to work with friends which made the days short and improved the team work.
    Medical benefits were fair - good.

Cons

No breaks or lunches- Working 9 + hours a day on my feet. I ate lunch standing up between customers. I brought this up to management and they helped for a day or two but then we were told they were too busy to offer breaks. However, exceptions were made for one employee when she was working in the scale house all day.
    Did not feel valued - The management did not seem to care how I was treated by the customers. On more than one occasion I was sexually harassed and verbally abused. This even happened in front of my supervisor and he did nothing. When brought up by my coworkers or myself to management they replied that it was nothing and we were bringing it upon ourselves by the way we dressed or acted with them.
    Poor Leadership - Talked down to by management on more than one occasion and verbally abused by management depending on the day. There were different rules depending on who was the manager dealing with the situation. One manager would establish a procedure and then another manager asked us why we were doing it that way and told us to stop. No accountability and no stability. I didn’t know how to do my job each day because it changed repeatedly.
    Discrimination - I worked with several different nationalities. Sad to say we were not all treated the same. I was held to a higher standard. If I made a mistake I was written up. On more than one occasion a coworker of a different nationality made the same mistake and it was brushed off. When brought up to HR and management, we were simply told it was a cultural difference but that only went one way because we were not of the minority nationality. The other nationalities were not expected to read and write English but we were expected to be able to communicate with them.
    If a coworker or I made a mistake, we had to worry about the management publicly discussing it instead of it being handled between management and the employee. When I told management that it needed to be handled directly with the employee so we knew what we were doing wrong, I was told that would happen. It was never handled or addressed that way.

Saying your door is open means nothing if you do not take the time to actively listen to your employees. I shared my views and experiences on more than one occasion and was told that I needed to "just keep my mouth shut" or "just stick to my job"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company if you are in the "Boys Club".

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at David J. Joseph full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company makes ethical decisions when conducting business.

Cons

DJJ is very conservative in nature and the culture is very reflective of that. If you are "different", you will be challenged. Overall, poor mid-level managers. Career paths are undefined and employees are told "we don't set career paths, we fill openings." The company is having a very difficult retaining young talent.

Good post college company to start with.

I have been working at David J. Joseph full-time

Pros

Decent salary post college to start with.

Cons

Upward mobility is severely limited due to minimal managerial opportunities.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and flexibility with projects, get to work with a number of technologies and management values input/opinion. Great company values.

Cons

Compensation could have been a bit better, but is adequate..

DJJ

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at David J. Joseph

Pros

Great selection process for people. Workplace was fantastic and depending upon business unit, totally competent staff.

Cons

Management skills training needed as there were some issues. HR and Management need to work more in hand with employees if issues arise. Trading and Operations were always at odds to work together and be profitable.

Spend some time looking into the process of evaluation of employees if managers see need for improvement or changes to current process. Reviews and discussions must be made to fix issues before they escalate.

Good Company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at David J. Joseph

Pros

Good company, good group of people

Cons

Sometimes too conservative, opportunities for growth can be limited

Take some chances

Salary

I have been working at David J. Joseph

Pros

The company is very well organized.

Cons

You have no control over where you are located.

poor senior leadership- yard level managers strong

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at David J. Joseph

Pros

good insurance,salary,communicatios,ability to service customers is outstanding strongest in florida

Cons

disrespectful upper management, uneasiness of status in the company felt by all

Be willing to look at yourselves and stand up to the ones who are nasty to underlings no matter how much experience they have- treating your employees well is better in the long run

Worked for David J. Joseph? Contribute to the Community!