David J. Joseph Reviews

Keith B. Grass

1. Values Employees

Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Cincinnati Amf, OH
    Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Cincinnati Amf, OH

I have been working at David J. Joseph full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is the first company that I've worked at where it feels like they genuinely value their employees. They hire quality people and continue to make strides at becoming better everyday.

Cons

No real cons I can speak to.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing on good people and the company will keep going in the right direction.

2. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at David J. Joseph full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company values people above all else. The focus and dedication placed on keeping people safe and providing a good quality of life is at the forefront of everything this company does.

Cons

Like any company, it has certain challenges. No significant cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the quality of people you bring into the organization and remember the importance of training them up properly.

3. Poor Leadership, Conflicting Instructions

I have been working at David J. Joseph full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They try to recycle and re-use material to help sustain our world.

Cons

Poor leadership.
    Leaders have conflicting ideas that are reflected in assignments that you're told to do one way, then have to re-do.
    Very difficult to ascertain who is in charge of certain projects.
    Poor salary for the constant conflict within the company's upper management.

Advice to Management

Really put yourself in your employee's shoes. Stop worrying so much about office politics and try to see your employees as people, instead of focusing so much on your bottom line.

5. Best family atmosphere from a company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work environment is very relaxed.From the IT Director down everyone is approachable. I was approached by the CEO Keith Grass within the first month of employment and he, just like everyone else, is very easy going and takes the time to get to know you.

Cons

Lower salaries than competitors in the area.Mostly parallel advancement with only four steps from the bottom to the top.

Poor Leadership

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time

Pros

I was able to work with friends which made the days short and improved the team work.
    Medical benefits were fair - good.

Cons

No breaks or lunches- Working 9 + hours a day on my feet. I ate lunch standing up between customers. I brought this up to management and they helped for a day or two but then we were told they were too busy to offer breaks. However, exceptions were made for one employee when she was working in the scale house all day.
    Did not feel valued - The management did not seem to care how I was treated by the customers. On more than one occasion I was sexually harassed and verbally abused. This even happened in front of my supervisor and he did nothing. When brought up by my coworkers or myself to management they replied that it was nothing and we were bringing it upon ourselves by the way we dressed or acted with them.
    Poor Leadership - Talked down to by management on more than one occasion and verbally abused by management depending on the day. There were different rules depending on who was the manager dealing with the situation. One manager would establish a procedure and then another manager asked us why we were doing it that way and told us to stop. No accountability and no stability. I didn’t know how to do my job each day because it changed repeatedly.
    Discrimination - I worked with several different nationalities. Sad to say we were not all treated the same. I was held to a higher standard. If I made a mistake I was written up. On more than one occasion a coworker of a different nationality made the same mistake and it was brushed off. When brought up to HR and management, we were simply told it was a cultural difference but that only went one way because we were not of the minority nationality. The other nationalities were not expected to read and write English but we were expected to be able to communicate with them.
    If a coworker or I made a mistake, we had to worry about the management publicly discussing it instead of it being handled between management and the employee. When I told management that it needed to be handled directly with the employee so we knew what we were doing wrong, I was told that would happen. It was never handled or addressed that way.

Advice to Management

Saying your door is open means nothing if you do not take the time to actively listen to your employees. I shared my views and experiences on more than one occasion and was told that I needed to "just keep my mouth shut" or "just stick to my job"

7. DJJ

Former Employee - Brokerage Representative
    Former Employee - Brokerage Representative

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexibility in schedule (work-life balance)
    -Small teams

Cons

-Flat structure, lack of real culture that promotes growth
    -Growth is not always performance based

Advice to Management

Create a better culture!

8. Excellent company if you are in the "Boys Club".

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at David J. Joseph full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company makes ethical decisions when conducting business.

Cons

DJJ is very conservative in nature and the culture is very reflective of that. If you are "different", you will be challenged. Overall, poor mid-level managers. Career paths are undefined and employees are told "we don't set career paths, we fill openings." The company is having a very difficult retaining young talent.

9. Good post college company to start with.

I have been working at David J. Joseph full-time

Pros

Decent salary post college to start with.

Cons

Upward mobility is severely limited due to minimal managerial opportunities.

10. Great people to work with

I worked at David J. Joseph full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and flexibility with projects, get to work with a number of technologies and management values input/opinion. Great company values.

Cons

Compensation could have been a bit better, but is adequate..

11. DJJ

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at David J. Joseph

Pros

Great selection process for people. Workplace was fantastic and depending upon business unit, totally competent staff.

Cons

Management skills training needed as there were some issues. HR and Management need to work more in hand with employees if issues arise. Trading and Operations were always at odds to work together and be profitable.

Advice to Management

Spend some time looking into the process of evaluation of employees if managers see need for improvement or changes to current process. Reviews and discussions must be made to fix issues before they escalate.