David Jones

Add Photos

Paul Zahra

Sales Assistant of David Jones

I have been working at David Jones part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Management and great team with good work ethics.

ConsSometimes it can get very busy and demanding in the city store.

Nice shopping environment and hips of designer brands.

I have been working at David Jones

ProsVery Easy to get goods whatever you want.

ConsEveryone knows that sometimes short of staffs.

It was okay but inflexible with hours

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at David Jones as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-public holiday and sunday pay for casuals
-customers could be nice
-decent meal breaks
-staff discount

Cons-low pay especially non casuals
-no coffee or tea for retail staff
-inflexible with hours at times

Work for another retail store

Sales Assistant - Womens Fashion (Current Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great career mobility
- Great exposure to brands
- Had the opportunity to meet some designers
- Good staff benefits

Cons- Extremely understaffed due to budgeting issues. During sale time i found myself covering three registers by myself and even the executive merchandising manager was forced to leave her office to help me due to customer complaints!

- Manager was extremely unprofessional and would often say negative things about other staff members which fostered a culture of clique-ness and conflict. I was once told her supervisor only hired a girl because "desperate times called for desperate measures.

- There was clear favoritism as hours with distributed unevenly to those who were good friends with the manager and associated with her outside of work.

- Having to sell the David Jones AMEX card to every customer began to irritate them. Also why should people in retail have to sell credit cards!

- Money for the overtime i worked didn't go into my account and it took 8 weeks to resolve the issue even after launching multiple formal queries.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your staff for their hours, do not talk about staff behind their backs, be more organised and listen to staff complaints to prevent workplace bullying.

Nice people turned into money-hounds

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at David Jones part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany legacy and respect from your co-workers.

ConsPoor Technology, excess emphasis on selling DJs Amex card and some what fraudulent incentive scheme made people to fight for each sale, No hours, No logistical support, Very less pay for Sales supervisors ($20) while they do exact same amount of work of managers and dock-hand together, No respect from store managers, Lack of support from top management. Overall a NO-NO experience if you are more than christmas casual.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to think for the employees rather than thinking too much about customers. If the employees are not treated fairly and professionally how can you expect them to treat customer with outstanding service?

Christmas Casual experience

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at David Jones as a contractor for less than a year

ProsOverall good salary 23$ (Im 22)
10% discount on the whole store

ConsWas not given notice when my shifts were cancelled.
Not many shifts given
Not much to do after Christmas time, even during the sales
Many products were shelved without a price tag so you waste your time scanning items every two seconds instead of doing real customer service

Absolute Disastrous Company

Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones as a contractor for more than a year

ProsYour co-workers. Theres always something to chat about, primarily how ghastly the job is.

ConsManagement are atrocious. Having worked in two stores over the course of a year I found management in both store over three departments terrible on the whole. The managers are constantly hounding staff to sell the DJs Amex card to customers, which all the staff know is a dog of a credit card but are forced to do so to keep there jobs. After working there over xmas I had sold numerous cards, whilst my fellow casual sold none. At the end of the period he was fired, yes fired. Although management did not tell him it was over a lack of card sales, it was blindingly obvious as all casuals kept on had sold at least one card.

Furthermore with the understaffing, pressure to sell cards and mismanagement you are getting paid next to nothing. Not even joking, co-workers in there 40s, 50s and 60s were earning $17.40 an hour!

After leaving DJs for another retail role I discovered most retail roles pay in excess of $20+ for someone under 21 like myself, let alone $17 for someone well beyond my age.
If DJs really wants its staff to respect the company, which I can safely say after working in two stores with dozens of staff, they do not, then increasing pay would be step 1 in resurrecting the shreds of respect the staff have towards the brand.

By doing so service to customers and staff harmony would vastly improve. If they don't take action now they will inevitably join the multitudes of other failed big brands in the history books forever more.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to get to the top prepare to sell your soul!

out standing

Counter Manager (Current Employee)
Burwood, New South Wales (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones full-time for less than a year

ProsDynamic culture and team environments
Generous discount
Career progression opportunities
prestige ,first class atmosphere
motivation for improvement

Conscant think of any >>

Very Good for earning pocket money

Logistics Assistant (Former Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time for more than a year

ProsDavid Jones gave us the best salary in retail industry as a casual worker.

ConsManagers were changed quite often. During my 1 year+ stay, I had three different managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more staff, it's damaging to David Jones' reputation when a customer walked into a department with only one staff member.

Interesting Recruiting Process

Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones part-time for less than a year

ProsVery friendly and welcoming, nice for a change

ConsToo long a process, should not take 5 interviews

Worked for David Jones? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at David Jones reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for David Jones CEO Paul Zahra. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by David Jones employees.